Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mounting e&j headlights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by koolbeans, Mar 17, 2019.

1. koolbeans

koolbeans

Have nice pair of e&j model 20 headlights.
    Would appreciate thoughts / ideas pics on mounting them on a '32 frame. IMG_20190314_083108350.jpeg IMG_20190314_083054565.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They will mount really nice inside your garbage can :D

j hansen, X38, fourspd2quad and 17 others like this.
  3. Nightheat Fab

Nightheat Fab

kiwijeff, Cosmo49 and Stogy like this.
  4. Larry, that's cold ! :D HRP

nochop and Blue One like this.

5. koolbeans

koolbeans

Geeeze, really now, suppose you want to know where my garbage can is......no

Blue One likes this.
  6. E & J Headlights are a required taste, I still like Big headlights. HRP

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D No thanks, I’ll pass. I think they’re just that ugly that it was appropriate.
    They’d look better there than on your car.

Of course that’s just my opinion and we know what those are worth. ;) :D

8. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 01.12.03.png DSC_0431_2.jpg @ Blue one : everyone to he's taste ....
    @coolbeans, You are, just where i am, i have found a nice set of E&J's made new front rings to accept the motorcycle halogen headlights
    ( i don't like to alther original parts ) with integrated sidelights, five leads go in where the original Bay 15 D plug is. Basicley i will run a uninterupted cable from the inside of the E&J's trough the plug and very much to the firewall inside where i can connect relay's for highbeam and one for lowbeam. This way the full 12 v goes directley to the lights, which will resault in more lightoutput and not risking grilled lightswitch. I am going to replace the original socket with a relacement socket drilled out to accept the five lead cable. I will use a old Bay15 D bulbbase without the globe , i still have some old black nylon rods , which i will work on my lathe, to form into this bulbbase to look like old backelite plug and slip it over the cable to the right position and silicone it to the cable. this way i can fix the cable to the lighthousing and stresslelieve the cable in the E&J-lights in old looking fashion. Sounds complicated but will post them when i made them ... ( the pic is not what i produced, but will look similar )
    About the position of the E&J's in proportion to the 32 rails i figured out that i will want them pretty much on the position of the grillshell, but will need to find a way to fix them where the rivets are, just in front of the shocks. The hights of the housing will be as low as the law will allow in my country.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are good looking lights and they look good on hot rods. Not sure how well you can see at night with them but thats up to the owner to deal with. I think the Fred Mack roadster has set on it. I tried to find a quick pic of that car for you but couldn't find one oddly enough.

hfh and Stogy like this.
  10. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

That's a car of a friend, now nearly 20 years ago, which triggered my addiction to 32's with E&J's... Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 01.37.29.png
    ( sorry for quality ... no it's 3D anaglyph pic ; red and cyan glasses )

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and koolbeans like this.
  11. koolbeans

koolbeans

All opins accepted. All put in the blender often leads to new ideas...the words from Mario Hotrod circa 1939

kiwijeff, Stogy and oldbanger71 like this.
  12. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

The rings are still bare from foundery and not finished yet, the housings will stay original paint with patina.
    I will fit the Kellerman bullet ato indicators, they are so tiny that they will be barley visible until lit.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.39.32.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.21.03.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.20.46.png

kiwijeff, kidcampbell71, hfh and 2 others like this.
  13. koolbeans

koolbeans

14. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

yes, it says seald beam, high and low Halogene bulb :
    " Au-lite H4 12 v 60/55 w E13 2B9 " plus a parklight in the reflector .
    Is also homologated for Switzerland and european community, which is not relevant to you but maybe to others.
    ( Reflectors, lense and bulb must belong together, to be accepted by the MOT ).
    The whole headlights with all bulb, reflector with strayglass, plug and cables,
    which i will replace with 2,5 mm2 cables, the 1,5 mm2 are a little thin..
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.49.20.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.50.10.png

hfh and Stogy like this.
  15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

2D534B1E-8865-4CDD-9096-B9288D42B09D.jpeg
    These are fiberglass replicas from Zipper Motors. I’m a strong believer in proportions and in my opinion, these look right on this car. The lenses are from a snow machine and they probably put out more light that the stock 32’s.

hfh, kiwijeff, nochop and 5 others like this.
  16. rusty valley

rusty valley

what next? shoulda bought a streetrod

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Look for this light : Jute 9908 ECE from Jute industrial co. ltd.
    with little modification these 4 " lights can be fitted to the original E&j rings
    (allthough, i don't like to modifie original parts ),
    but i belive to build everything reversable, which is why i made new rings for my E&j's, they have more meat to fit the lights perfectley.
    I also kept the original guts of the e&j's like glass, reflectors, adjusting, socket etc.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  18. I thought I was the only person that was not a fan of those.

Blue One, Atwater Mike and nochop like this.
  19. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Beauty lay's in the eye of the beholder... good that people have different taste, otherwise all cars would look the same , these people go to brand-meetings, where the cars differ only by color and key-fob;)

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a few threads on these unique lights that have stood the test of time like many Hotrod attachments despite sometimes very firm opposition...

This thread will offer a direct hit... A 32 posted by The Boss himself

061.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=23977

A general thread showcasing this unique Headlight...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/edmunds-jones-headlights.815489/

683842-Oct70239.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/do-these-e-j-lights-make-me-look-fat.44202/#post-570530

Don't know if this ever got finished but I think Chuckles nailed the location and mounting...

P1020524.jpg

P1020521.jpg

P1020526.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cabs-1927-t-roadster-pickup-build-thread.365944/

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    hfh, kiwijeff and ChuckleHead_Al like this.
  21. koolbeans

koolbeans

You reflectors and bulb look great.
    What are the reflectors from?
    Bulbs are easy to get here.

22. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Look at the pic, there is where i've got'em from

23. koolbeans

koolbeans

Thank you.
    Modification is doable.
    Jute 9908 ece might be difficult to get here. Motorcycle shop???
    Any suggestions?

24. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Harleyshop in your place might help but they have most 5" + headlights, you will want 4" high/lowbeam searching the net will provide not a grate selection, Motorcycle shop might help. Custombike shop will find something for you, i guess.
    We here in Europe, are used to order from overseas... you guy's in the usa, are used to go down town and pickup things easey in the afternoon, when a idea is comming to your mind in the morning.;)

kiwijeff and koolbeans like this.
  25. Beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder, the more you drink the better everything looks. :D HRP

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How much beer do you have to drink before those ugly beady eyed little headlights look good ?
    More than I can hold before passing out I think. :D

steveareno, nochop, Dean Lowe and 3 others like this.
  27. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

I love the hamb for all the great information and seeing all the wonderful skills people have and never post anything negative but just try and be supportive when I do. If I don't like something or it's not my taste I keep it to myself. Blue One he was asking people's thoughts on how to mount these headlights and I'm sure him, I and probably everyone else doesn't really care if you like them or not !

burl and Bugguts like this.
  28. Neeto!
    Thanks for sharing.

If someone wouldn't mind, please post up some overall dimensions of the e&j model 20 headlights.

I'd like to try and model them

29. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

It's funny, that these E&J-haters, allways come back to the threads about E&J's and .......
    well liquid food does not help, using the last braincells to contribute intelligent contents to a thread, it seems..
    Anyhow helping others with information should be ouer goal and hot rod spirit.;)

30. Larry, I don't drink but I would imagine it's like going to a bar, the more you drink the better that old gal at the end starts looking pretty good at closing time.:D

Don't take Larry too seriously, the OP didn't and he did use emoji's to show he is just joking around, personally they are not my cup of tea ether but we all have opinions and as far as I remember this is a public forum, I'm sure if you started a opinion pole about the E&J headlights the answers would go from hate to love, not much room in the middle, personally I like BIG headlights kind guy! :D HRP

Blue One and scott27 like this.