Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 plymouth hood length

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kevin31, Mar 17, 2019.

1. kevin31

kevin31
    from ottawa

I’m looking for the length of a stock 31 Plymouth hood, I was going to make a hood, but would really prefer the look of a oem hood if it’ll fit even if I have to modify it a bit. the cars a 31 Chrysler with a 31 Plymouth grill,nothing on the car is stock proportions anymore and the hood I had was absolutely rotten...along with the car when I got it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. kevin31

kevin31
    from ottawa

[​IMG]

3. F&J

F&J

Plymouth hood will be way too short for your setup as they were still a 4 cylinder. I had quite a few Mopars around those years, and even the 6 cylinder ones would be too short, (going by your picture).

1930-1931 8 cylinder Mopars would be your best bet, but likely not easy to find one. If you did, it would be a longshot to have the correct widths at both the front and back. Then you'd have to cut/splice lengthwise near the hood center hinge to correct that.

Dodge & DeSoto had an optional 8 which are not very common compared to the 6's, as well as several wheelbase sizes of Chrysler 8's

4. kevin31

kevin31
    from ottawa

The pictures probobly deceiving the hood needs to be about 33-1/2 inches it looks really stretched in the picture

5. kevin31

kevin31
    from ottawa

[​IMG]

6. << My '31 Plymouth coupe has a '32 Chevy hood top on it. It fits the cowl perfect, width wise. I had to trim the front edge a bit. Likely still too short for yours though.
    How long does your hood need to be?

EDIT. Just saw your post. I will measure my hood and get back to you.

7. F&J

F&J

yes, the first picture made it look very long, and the second pic looks like you have a much better chance of finding a donor.

8. My hood is 31 1/4". IIRC I trimmed about an inch off the front. Not quite long enough!

9. kevin31

kevin31
    from ottawa

K thanks guys looks like I’ll be making one instead