Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mr Cheaters 32 ford truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr cheater, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

So for a few years I have wanted a 32 to 34 Ford truck. Well one night of surfing Craig’s list we find this [​IMG] [​IMG]a three owner truck parked in 1969 after the guy I got it from drove it for a summer and then cracked the head on it.
    So we begin With four matching wheels and tires [​IMG]and mocking up the head lights on it[​IMG]Next step was to get rid of some previous repairs it seems the front cross member suffered some damage so it was replaced with a model a cross member from a previous build[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Turning to the rear of the truck the frame horns also needed some repair work on those but I forget to take pictures of the before so here’s the after [​IMG]More to come later

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

rat bastad, lucky ink, brEad and 22 others like this.
  2. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Looking good! What are your overall build plans?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. pkhammer

pkhammer

The '32 to '34 Ford pickups make great rods. Working on a '32 build of my own.

32SEDAN likes this.
  4. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Going to do the usual hot rod stuff dropped axel lower the rear end a bit Ford nine inch rear end and use my red ram Hemi. I plan to run full fenders and no chop.

chryslerfan55, brEad, Stogy and 8 others like this.

5. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cool. keep us posted

6. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

good luck with your truck

Attached Files:

brEad, Stogy, 32SEDAN and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Got the Baby Hemi set in future mods include chrome valve covers and a two two intake[​IMG]so here we see the motor and trans sitting in the frame. For the transmission I decided to use a three speed out of a tri-five Chevy [​IMG]Here we can see how the k member was cut and believe me I felt pretty bad about cutting it up but you gotta do what you have to do sometimes [​IMG]heres a picture of the rear motor mount[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]So after butchering the K member I saw on the H.A.M.B where someone made a set of these so I thought why not so there they are later I plan to add a plate across the top to tie the frame back together [​IMG]Mounts I made to hold the rear spring on the axel [​IMG]Axel mounted in place[​IMG]So I bought a set of ladder bars for another project and thought I can make my own so I did. By the way you don’t really save any money when you do it this way[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]So this is as far as I am now

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I need that truck and you need a stick up our ass! Nice build, will follow!

Kelly Burns likes this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

Some really nice work going on here...will follow.

10. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

So while I am waiting to get the front axel back from being dropped I decided to work on the pedals and master cylinder mount.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Keep up the good work.

12. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

So I had some time today to make some rear shock mounts using some f-1 mounts and some plate steel. Not sure if it’s going to work the way I intend it to work but I can fix that later [​IMG]so the first step was to layout the parts to be cut. Does it make it less traditional that I used a handheld plasma cutter instead of a torch?[​IMG]there they are all cut out[​IMG]and there they are cut out drilled and bolted to the mount[​IMG][​IMG]so there they are clamped into place. I may have to mount them on the front of the rear end or heat and bend the mount

13. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

[​IMG]so last night my dropped axel and spindles from Okie Joe showed up. So we Put it together today [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]And now for one of the best days of Hot rod building when you finally get to set the frame on the ground and take a good look at it[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

So today I had some time to fit Lincoln brakes to the spindles it went pretty well except for breaking one of the spacers [​IMG][​IMG]before[​IMG]and after[​IMG]backside[​IMG]and the front side

15. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

You can TIG weld that broken spacer to the backing plate. I don't use and filler rod just run the puddle all the way around on both sides. Makes assembly easier with less parts to loose.

Stogy and Mr cheater like this.
  16. L7

L7

Along for the ride.
    Looking good!

17. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work.
    What thickness did you use for the new k member pieces? And where did you get the dimple dies? It came out great.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

I got the dimple die off of eBay it’s the kind that does the hole and dimple all in one. I used twelve gauge steel for the new k member legs or about one gauge thicker than the stock frame

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Slow going and not much time to work on this truck lately would be how I describe my progress. This weekend I brought the torch setup home from work and bent up some what I think are 47 Dodge truck shock mounts [​IMG]here I am mocking them up to see how I have to bend them to fit[​IMG]here the mounts are slowly cooling in some floor dry [​IMG]the placement [​IMG]and then bending them to fit up with the lower shock mount and clear the fender[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Your making good progress. HRP

21. One of my favorite builds!

loudbang and Mr cheater like this.
  22. Nice build, will make for a great Hot Rod p/u.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Sorry I got here so late.
    Shaping up very nicely!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I'm Later...:D...Lots of Clever going into this one...Go Go Go

loudbang likes this.
  25. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Took some time to redo my rear shock mounts that I made earlier in post 14 for those of you keeping track at home [​IMG][​IMG]note I used the tube as a mock-up because I don’t have much weight on the frame.also I made a panel to tie my x member together [​IMG]. Also went and got some better cab parts from H.A.M.B member Rustyrods and took a drive by the boyhood home of President Ronald Regan[​IMG]

26. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Some pictures of the brake and clutch pedal assembly and how they mount in the frame [​IMG][​IMG]Finally it was nice enough out to pull the frame out of the shop[​IMG][​IMG] after a little spring cleaning of the floor I pushed the frame back in to finish welding the rear end[​IMG][​IMG] And here we see the disassembled frame ready to get cleaned up and painted [​IMG]

27. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

You're making great progress! And it looks fantastic. You'll be driving it before you know it! ;)

Mr cheater and loudbang like this.
  28. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Rust repair and painting a few things where on the agenda today[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]