Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi in a F1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Mar 16, 2019.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I'm thinking about a hemi for a 1948-1952 F1. Thinking a 331 or even a 270. I'm concerned about the head and exhaust manifold clearance. Can it be done? Has sbuany tried this? Not sure about the trans either. The other headache is mounts. Could some be made or re-worked? Will a TF-727 bolt up to that early of a engine? I know it ain't no walk in the park. Just wanted something different.

2. mike matters

mike matters

there was one in street rodder years ago a yellow 48-50

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a buddy when I was younger that had a 53 or 54 f100 with a 354 with the pushbutton trans in it. Don't know how similar the two truck chassis are? It fit and was a bear on rear tires! I think he bought it that way tho and don't have any specifics on the install.

4. Slopok

Slopok

Hemi's have been replacing V-8 Flatheads in just about everything, should fit nicely.

Frankie47 likes this.

5. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Thanks guys! I was thinking a 302, but, you seen one SBF, ya seen 'em all.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

In the 70s I had a go to work 53 ford pickup that the flathead died swapped in a 54 241 and 3 speed used the stock dodge water pump front mount and bellhousing mounts hardest part was a shifter for the selector shift trans. Oil pan to axle clearance may need to be addressed depending on what oil pan you have.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. Dirk35

Dirk35

This is a 390 Ford FE in a 1948 Ford PU, so you will probably have to recess the firewall depending on what front suspension and what oil pan it has, and how much room you have from the fan to the radiator. Other than that, width-wise, you should have plenty of room for a Hemi if you are using the stock front frame rails. I put the truck on a '78 Mercury Marquis Car frame (yes, I know I should've used an S10 frame instead of what was free) and sectioned about 2 inches off the bottom of the inner fender panels. I cut out all of the firewall, used a flat sheet and rolled some beads in it to stiffen it up. Then I used a wheelbarrow widened 8 inches for the firewall recess.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...But that was Chrisman's. You don't just do a 'Chrisman job'...otherwise, mortal man would be performing miracles...

deucemac likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Had a high school (66-69) friend, that drove a 53 F-100 with a 394 Olds and B & M Hydro Stick; it was actually his Dad's tow vehicle for his drag Hudson's (???). Three of us out cruising one night, and he stomped a brand new, 1968 Road Runner, badly. Now yesterday, I saw a chopped top F-100, roughly the same vintage", but in all honesty, it looked terrible; nicely done, but just not to that truck (this was in Everett, Wa, and the truck was white, in case anyone knows him). I'd think there'd be a ton of room under that huge hood to drop just about anything in one.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. deucemac

deucemac

One of my friends in high school ( back in the dark ages) had a 56 Ford F100 with a 392 Chrysler and dual quads on it . The engine compartment looked full compared to when it had the Y block, but everything fit well and I don't remember any major firewall surgery to get it in. It was great but murder on rear tires. If you want a hemi, go large! It's worth it in the end.

11. the 727 is bot a bolt on for any of the "baby" hemis. You can get an adapter and that was a real common transmission a decade or two back. The extended bell is not as desirable and the non extended bell motor for the 727 swap. It is a good transmission behind on though.

The Olds Rocket is a common swap for an F1 or used to be. They fit well and fill the engine bay nicely. Of course having the Hydro-matic transmission is a nice touch. A lot easier than the hemi and equally as cool in my opinion.

Another option that you seldom see any more and is as traditional as the day is long is the Cadillac motor. A Fordillac is cool to the bone and is historically desirable.

Actually as I recall the SBF of all your choices is the hardest swap. I actually like the little Ford motor other than looks; they are not as easy to dress as other motors. They are just not as easy to work with as rear sump motors when it comes to swapping.

12. Been there done that and doing it again. If it were hard to do I wouldn't be. New project is in a 53 this time. No big deal.
    First startup 3-19-10 003.jpg

Jeff Norwell and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

All early Hemi except the Chrysler extened bell have the same trans pattern there are adapters for 727 LA trans 73RR on the HAMB sells a great unit and Speedway sells a Hurst style engine mount for the lowdeck Dodge

14. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I gotta go Hemi now! Love to have a 4X2 log intake for the wow factor.

classiccarjack likes this.
  15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I saved that magazine and I STILL have it somewhere. I doubted anyone else ever cared about that truck but I still think it's THE nicest '48-'50 F1 I've ever seen and I've seen some nice ones.

I'm a Chevy truck guy through and through but that said there are some Ford truck I truly love. The '48-'50 F1's ('51-52's honorable mention ) and of course the '40-'41 - to me THE most beautiful early trucks ever!

Does anyone know if it's still around? If so, where and who has it. I'd love to see it again.

16. I used to know a guy on another forum that had one, haven't talked to him in years though. Screenshot_20190318-234509_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20190318-234524_Photobucket.jpg

17. Hombre

Hombre

There is not as much room in a FI as there is in the 53-56 Fords. However with that said yes it fits and pretty easy to. I did this FI a couple of years ago, bought the engine from a HAMB guy in Maryland and it came with a 700r4 Tranny, that was without a doubt the most miserable combination ever seen. It was so bad that it turned me completely against the 700r4. I finished the install at right around 2;30 in the morning. Fired it up and took off, well kinda took off. Got it back to the shop and had that tranny out of there in a hour, and was damn glad when I "GAVE" it away. I ended up installing a Borg Warner T10 4 speed and never looked back after that. It made that old truck run like I had hoped it would. Misc Dawg and Brakes 033 (Small).jpg Hemi Swap 029 (Small).jpg Misc Dawg and Brakes 059 (Small).jpg 1949 Ford F1 018 (Small).jpg zzaszzx1 (Small).jpg

18. Hombre touched on something often learned to late. Small C.I. motors don't do well behind some Automatics. Automatics Eat horsepower, then add a slight tall rear gear ratio and tall tires and your Screwed. You can't get out of your own way. If you want to use all the H.P. your motor has as well as have O.D. here's my answer to that.
    20171008_080616.jpg

Hombre likes this.
  19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's always early Cadillac. That was my dear departed Dad's favorite pickup swap. Unless you already have the Hemi...

20. 73RR

73RR

As has been said, the Hemi swap was quite common 'back-in-the-day' when the bone yards had plenty to offer. The 727 is a bullet proof unit and also easy to hook up a 4/5 speed. Look at the AX15 if you want a 5 speed.
    In addition to other stuff, I have the Hurst-style engine mounts that were also commonly used if you go the Hemi route...

classiccarjack and Hombre like this.
  21. F.Y.I. What your looking at in post 18 is all stock Mopar 833 that is a Hurst 4 speed shifter operated 3 speed with overdrive. These were used in some 426 full size cars as well as 340-360 mini vans. They are double tough and not hard on the Wallet. The other plus is a Hurst handle coming up around the seat, not a Round yuppie handle back between bucket seats. Then with the 5 speeds you still have to be smart enough to determine what gear set is best for your motor. The complete 340-360 unit from Crankshaft back will bolt right up to Willcap or Hotheads block and Crank adapter and once you modify the 340-360 flywheel your good to go. It's all off the shelf if you so choose.

Hombre likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I LOVE my Hemis, have a hopped up '56 Chrysler 354 Hemi for my '55 F100 (later, when time is right) and a 276 DeSoto for my nice '50 F1, also later...Other projects preclude.

Not in a big rush, (working on my hot rods) and nothing's rusty...all nice California trucks. And cars.

23. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

P-N-B; did you build those headers? Looking for a set with similar characteristics

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Yes, they are hand built. I seem to do that on most all of my projects. I find it a very satisfying part of a Motor swap. Thanks for noticing.

25. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

They sure look nice. What about your alternator mount? I found a P/S pump like the one you show in that pic and I need to move my charging system to other side

26. Well Jack; I'm not sure what exact motor you ended up with but the small Dodge motor in the photos of mine has No threaded holes in the heads or block for brackets. My only option was to do like I did with the Headers, hand build as needed. The power steering pump is G.M. and the Alt. is Mopar. Everything it takes to mount them is built to fit for that Motor and those parts only. Wish I had better news for ya. On the other hand I just never go shopping for brackets for one off combinations so ya might just get lucky doing the Google thing. Check out the Hot Heads sight, I hear they have "stuff". I'm just not a billet guy so there "stuff" wouldn't cut it for me no matter what they have. When I was growing up (I'm 70 plus) we didn't have mail order so we learned to to do exactly what I do when doing a Mix-n-Match and now I just don't know any better.

27. There was a real nice one in Classic Trucks or Custom Classic Trucks back in 2009-2010. It was a black truck and I think it was on the cover.

28. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I'm already complaining about Hot Heads brackets for a 270 Dodge in another thread

29. Here's what we did when we decided to throw away the Hot Heads high alternator mount:

jack_pine likes this.
  30. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

The large pulley on driver's side....is that a power steering pump?