Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 350 chevy vs. 351 cleveland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zenbone, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

One difference nobody has mentioned is that Ford engines use a front oil sump and Chevys use a rear sump. That makes it difficult to push the engine back in a Ford and they are usually front end heavy.

2. primed34

primed34

I'm glad someone pointed this out. How many of you remember seeing those early Fords in the 70's with way cut up firewalls from putting one of those things in. It was done but break out the gas axe. They are good motors though.

Deuces likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

All you have to do is open up a Summit catalog and look at the prices, to see which one is more economical. Performance, like all things automotive, will depend on your budget.

I was raised a Chevy guy, but when I was planning my build, what ever engine I could get, for less than $500, was going to be my choice. The first place I called had a running SBC for $400 and they got my money. If I would have waited a day, I could have gotten a 302 Ford for the same money. If you're truly on a budget, "Beggars can't be choosers."

And what the hell is up with all this, "fake" crap. Just build the best engine you can. Saving money isn't complicated. Will power and ego are complicated.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's cheaper to build a 351 Windsor with the after market heads today there is little Hp advantage to the Cleveland.

5. What? I thought '32 Fords came stock from the factory with 350's.........at least every one I ever saw had one (almost).

6. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

both are good motors but Chevy will be the most inexpensive route. hands down. that includes basic parts and speed parts. Chevy's are more common in parts but it makes it convenient in building your car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 35desoto

35desoto

Correct- the Cleveland block is cast on the thin wall casting technology - I've seen plenty of them crack the bores at .030 or .040 and never ever bored one out to .060. Great engine for performance and not that non traditional either - 350 chev wasn't introduced till a similar time line as the 351C.

8. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Interesting thread for me. I found a 2v 1971 cleaveland core off craigslist for cheap, its bone stock and came with an edlebrock manifold. I have never built one but there is plenty of guys that will help with tech support when I do something with it. Just like different stuff and not looking to make 500 hp either. For now my '41 Int'l truck has a chebby.

9. RmK57

RmK57

It's absolutely imperative that you get the block sonic checked before boring. There is so much core shift In these blocks that the cylinders will never be straight in some over bores.
    In the early days of pro-stock Nicholson, Glidden, used to sleeve all 8 cylinders then braze them all together as one to give the
    block some strength/ rigidity.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. George

George

The C is my next favorite behind the early Hemi. Check out the big ports & valves vs the 351 Wheezer ( & the "Fuelie" heads the bellybutton guys babble about). Gone 30 over on a number of them w/o problems.

11. Clevos = hand grenades lol. Great heads/breathers, not so great blocks, cranks, oiling.

But IMHO its the ugliest engine you can put into a fenderless/hoodless hot rod. OK/right in a muscle car but not in a real hotrod.

Your car your choice amigo - but you're on the wrong board if you're gonna slot one of these into a trad hot rod ;)

My 2c

Blues4U likes this.
  12. I put both ford and chev in a 32. The chev was much easier to fit. They are cheap, reliable and powerful. But with that being said I vote 351 c if you can swing a few extra bucks for the build

13. Younggun94

Younggun94

Im in the process of planning my first build and am going to be using a 351c as the power plant once i find one , do you have any leads on a 4 bolt main factory block

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Don't worry about 4 bolt block Gliden ran several 2 bolters.

15. Younggun94

Younggun94

I have a local guy selling a 2 bolt for 300 its been sitting for 25 years

Attached Files:

16. Younggun94

Younggun94

My only real reason for wanting the four bolt is because i dont know what im gonna want to do in the future if i want to go spastic and go for huge hp i dont want to have to go searching for another block idk rather just a 4 bolt from the start ... what is the hp cap for the 2 bolt

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Scroll down to cylinder black and oilinghttp://www.gapponline.net/tag/nhra/page/3/

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you want to go Cleveland then look into the 400m. It makes really good torque and are fairly cheap to make more horse power. Dress like a 351 Cleveland. I built a Torino for a customer and it moved that 4400 lb. barge pretty good. Should fly in a coupe. Just make sure you run an early Cleveland timing gear set, as the 400 had the cam retarded and hurt performance.
    Bought a rebuilt long block from Advance for $ 1200.00 and swapped the cam and timing set. Added an Edelbrock intake and 670 Holley and headers. The Bronco pan and pickup tube gives you a rear sump.

19. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

You'll need to find several sets of caps. It's not a simple "take a number one cap off one block and put on your block" install.

20. derbydad276

derbydad276

Just use and oil pan from a van or 4x4 pickup 351c 351m & 400 all use the same oil pan

WB69 likes this.
  21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Personally I like the Cleveland. Have had both. I have had no problem finding anything Cleveland. Have sold my share of Cleveland parts/spare stuff because of that. I've built with 4V and 4V quench heads. Power up top and rpm. Like the worked 2V heads for the street, more torque/bottom end. Currently have one in a 29 Model A.

22. RmK57

RmK57

Instead of sourcing 4-bolt caps just use ARP studs on a 2-bolt block. May have to get it lined honed after or a least check it. Should be good for 600+ hp @ 7500 rpm.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Younggun94

Younggun94

Yeah i dont care how hard it is to find part and im not making a look alike 400 thats just dumb you build a car around a certain thing and mine is the 4 bolt and also if you buy caps it need to be line honed any how . Let me clarify something im not trying to do a cheap biuld not trying to cut corners or do look alike shit im trying to build a 351c because they were produced an hr from my home and my wifes grandparents both worked in the factory they were produced so if i could get a little help on some reliable information for these motors or a lead on some one who has a torn down 351c with a 4 bolt and 4v heads be sure to let me know

24. Younggun94

Younggun94

No offence but im not a catalog builder

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Southcross was just trying to give you another option, and I WAS going to show you some pics of another option we are building at this moment, but I think not now. Good luck.

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy, Blues4U and fauj like this.
  26. Younggun94

Younggun94

27. Younggun94

Younggun94

Sunbeam i did find it once i got on my computer thank you very much sir !!!!

28. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

I have a disassembled 1972 351C Cobra Jet I would get rid of. 4 barrel and 4 bolt mains. I'm just east of Cleveland Ohio. Pm me if you are interested and want details.

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

No offense taken . You are on your own on this project .I do know where a really nice 4 bolt Cleveland block is and that information will stay with me also.

Boneyard51 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There are two easy ways to make a 350 Chebbie and a 351 Cleveland "equal"- first, the NHRA way, give the Chebbie a HUGE weight break in a similar car (think Jenkins' Vega), and second, the NASCAR way, install restrictor plates, another way to slow the Fords down so the Chebbies could "win"

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.