Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Female Dovetail

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 13, 2019.

1. While the old beater is down for the new interior I noticed the female dovetail housing on the drivers door is missing the cast dovetails and I knew I had a stainless female dovetail latch in my parts stash but I really don't want to use the reproduction stainless piece and would rather keep the original black housing.

[​IMG]
    The RED X's indicate what is missing.
    Have any of you guys took one of these apart, I see there are kits with the replacement pieces but if I can use what I have that would save a few coins and I already have the pieces. HRP

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. alchemy

alchemy

On my '40 Ford which has the housing built into the body, I replaced the dovetails a couple decades ago. IIRC, you push a flat screwdriver blade into the end of the dovetail at the outside point. There is a slight notch in the pointed end of the dovetail. Push it into the middle of the car and try to flip the dovetail to the center of the opening. A spring hidden behind the dovetail will push it outward.

Granted, this is how it's done on a '40, so no guarantees on a '32.

LOU WELLS and olscrounger like this.
  3. Dennis D

Dennis D

Stick a flat blade between them and push down on the lower one and it will release the spring pressure on the upper and it should come out. The bottom one will lift out. D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good info here. My older bodyman friend showed me this on my '32 Five window in '57...

5. It's strange, I don't know how long I've been riding around with that piece missing. HRP

6. I changed them on a 35-36 truck.
    Little patience, good light, and hold your tongue just right.

55Belairman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. good thread HRP......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

When I did my '32 sedan I bought repro d0ve tails--they fit like crap. I took the guts out and installed them in the original housings and it worked great.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Thanks guys, this is the housing with the dovetails missing. HRP

[​IMG]

10. Fortunately I won't have to use the stainless street rod style FDT and can rob the pieces I need from this aftermarket female dovetail and repair the original. HRP

[​IMG]

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Danny, Check out the discussions on the Model A Ford section of the Ford Barn, I think these dovetails are a lot like the '31 Slant window sedans. They mention the springs being very important and only the ones from A&L work properly. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Thanks Bob, if what I have doesn't do the job I will check the A&L parts. HRP

13. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Site for A & L thanks

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. A & L Parts Specialties, 1-860-693-0112, or 1-860-693- 2620. Try Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

A&L manufactures QUALITY parts, they in turn supply the parts houses, but you don't know for sure if the parts houses are selling you A&L parts or not. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. I am told A&L is a old fashion business, they have a telephone number and no web site. HRP

The37Kid likes this.
  17. A & L has been in business for more than 50 years. Al Lepore started the business, and since his passing a few years ago his son now runs the business. Allen, the son, lives in New Jersey, and is only at the shop 3 days a week. If you want true quality parts at a fair price, A & L has them. A & L parts are made in the USA, no offshore parts of dubious quality.

The37Kid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. I followed the advice of using a screw driver and was surprised just how easy the dove tails popped out, It didn't take long to fit them in their new home. HRP

001.JPG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  19. The HAMB comes through again!:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. You bet Mark! HRP

21. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Well it keeps coming through, thanks guys helped me too.

22. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Can some of you guys measure the housing for me. I too don`t like repro SS shiney stuff.
    Thanks!