Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cars & People You Had the Pleasure of working around.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Mar 13, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just found this 1973 photo of my Riley 4Port Dirt Car, boss let me use the shop to weld in the front crossmember. At that time the Bugatti Type 57 SC was a record holder at auction for $65,000.

Bob
    DSCF9662.JPG

wicarnut, catdad49, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. i think that Bugatti would be about a million dollars now

vetteguy402 likes this.
  3. I have know Gene Cromer and his 40 willys coupe the Moonlighter ever since I was a kid, he was admired by many kids including Quain Stott.

Quain grew up and made his mark in the drag racing world but got the bug to bring back the gassers from the era Gene was know for.

Quain got in touch with Gene and convinced him to let him get the car back in racing condition, long story short Quain started rebuilding the car and the word went out that this was happening and the drag racing & hot rod community pitched in to help with labor,parts and money for parts.

I like many others did what I could do to help and I have so many more friends now that I was involved with the project. HRP

It's a long read but worth your time!
    The Moonlighter

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I hate people. I'd rather spend my time with dogs.

5. I just re-connected with an 88 year old hot rodder named Joe Carlomagno, San Francisco Rambler member, that I lived across the street from when I was a teenager in San Francisco. At that time he had a chopped high-boy 1932 ford 3 window coupe, and a 1949 Mercury 2 door mild custom. Now he has a 1932 Ford roadster hot rod. Joe was very instrumental in my becoming a hot rodder. I called him to thank him for what he had done for me. He appreciated me thanking him for sending me down the right path. He is a great guy, and still mentors young people now-a -days, with his street paintings in Mill valley, California.

Nicholas Coe, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I attribute my traditional baptism to Hamber whiskeyrunners dad who is now in his late 70’s.
    He took me aside and made this old street Rodder appreciate the old Hotrod’s and their power plants.
    Just wish it was 10 years earlier.

7. trollst

trollst

Yep, my mentor is 86, in a home, hates the fact that his body won't work any more, he was a very talented body and fender man who built the most outrageous 4X4's and hot rods in his home shop, he inspired me to learn more. Kudos to Frank McCabe.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would say my Dad, because it is all his fault that I am addicted to old cars, dirt racing and hoarding parts. His wisdom, teaching and answering all my questions has kept the fire lit .Thanks Dad.:)

vetteguy402, WB69 and dan griffin like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think one huge advantage was back when he was racing he built everything himself. Chassis , widening wheels, boring and building engines, trans , rears ,suspension parts as well as welding, paint and body. I remember as a kid , he would be bending pipe for the roll cages out on the driveway. Everything was using the old buzz box.

WB69 likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

It has to close to 50 years ago that our swap meet spaces were side by side at the Ridgefield Meet, right Nick? I swapped you five 19 inch Model A wheels for a pair of orange doors off a 26-27 T Modified. I added them to the front of a '26 T Touring car body. Art Johnson built a clone of the Bo Jones car out of it with a flathead. Last saw that car in the Hershey swap meet. Where is it now? Thanks for all the help and parts over the years! Bob

11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

My Friend Herb Baker That I Worked With As A Mechanic... Herb Bakers Life 2017 023.JPG

The37Kid likes this.
  12. I wasn't working, but had the pleasure of watching Garlits and his crew pull the engine out of his dragster in a gas station in Stockton, Ca. They were using the single post lift as an engine hoist. That was probably nearly 50 years ago. He ran it at Kingdon drag strip.

loudbang, LOU WELLS and The37Kid like this.
  13. worked with my uncle "midnight Joe" . probably the best mechanic on the east coast........r.i.p. Joe Boccuzzi.jpg

14. saltracer219

saltracer219

Because of my long time association with Bruce Geisler and Gale Banks I have been fortunate to meet most all of my childhood heros. Some remain friends to this day but sadly many of them are gone now. If I start throwing out names, you guys woulden't believe it.

Chavezk21 and loudbang like this.
  15. frank spittle

frank spittle

My Dad. He was one of the spectators at the Charlotte Speedway for NASCAR's first Strictly Stock race in 1949. He didn't know anything about mechanics but loved dirt track racing and took me a few times before I was a teenager. That's all it took. I started drag racing while in high school and had a 20 plus year career drag racing motorcycles including Top Fuel. He never came to see me though but never discouraged me from racing even after the wife and kids came along.
    I find myself constantly wishing he was still here to let him know what a great father he was and how much I loved him.

vetteguy402, WB69, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. My long time friend Butch has been a great inspiration for me for over 50 years. We didn't do much car work together as he moved to the city and I stayed in the hills. He was born a master craftsman and his innovations and imagination know no bounds. Here's just one of his many creations.
    Butchliner.jpg

vetteguy402 likes this.
  17. Lost my latest - Robert - in November of last year - who I finally got to sell me his 1939 coupe " as long as it gets a flathead "....it was a slow understanding of knowledge with him and lots of slow fun ! Funny I've benefited from two others - both going by Bob - with the same last name - lucky one still is still with us. Lot's of others - Herb was an African- American at the local Enco by me in the 60's where I'd pedal my bicycle up to watch and listen - just a great wrench - and he had a Chrysler 300 just sitting parked behind the station - he'd also be one that would say " that 300's tooo much car for you " as I would constantly ask for it..... for my first - second - third - forth car !!!

18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hung around Gene Townsends shop in San Diego as a kid ,He painted lots of famous show cars ,drag cars and Corvettes in So Cal back in the day. Also worked on the Penske Donahue Trans Am car but thats a little OT.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  19. No Doubt! Joe was the best and remains a legend in the East Coast Hot Rod culture. He was a big inspiration to me growing up. Joe lived by always being there to help anyone, and that's how He died.
    He made that 348 powered 49 Chevy just scream! (
    second from right) R.I.P. no3.jpg

20. 62rebel

62rebel

Ninth grade math teacher Bob Boe. He let me waste study hall cleaning up his tetanus epidemic Alfa Romeo Giulia. He had an XKE as well , and the first Mazda Rotary pickup in town. Always willing to talk cars with a pimply scrawny teenage kid.

vetteguy402 likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

The thing that always impressed people was that Midnight Joe had a dress code...……..for CUSTOMERS. Proper attire when you dropped off a vehicle, or no work. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I would !

saltracer219 likes this.
  23. hah, he had a dress code for himself also. tight pocket tee, work pants, work boots, a white owl and dark sun glasses.

LisaBoccuzzi and TFoch like this.
  24. Sounds like he was a cool guy!

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Going to a Demo Derby and having his ride die, buying the Demo Derby winner and driving it home is an epic story. Bob

Nicholas Coe, WB69 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. yep, and he would cruised by the White Castle then cruise by in the other direction IN REVERSE in traffic.
    street race stories, epic tow truck capers and the many repair feats.

LisaBoccuzzi likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, Was it Joe that said you could weld at tank as long as it was full, or was that and old dirt track sprint car guy from New Jersey Sam Alperti?

28. I never heard him say that.

29. noboD

noboD

Would that be electric welding?

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

575031-970x762.jpg
    Guess it was Sam Alperti in the pits in New Jersey with a torch and welding rod. He said a crew member had a can of gas to keep the tank he was welding full while welding. Sam was an AACA Annual Meeting old timer when I used to go back in the 1980's. He told me he could weld anything except the crack of dawn and a broken hart. Bob

Sam's dirt car is restored and well, raced in the TROG a few years ago.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019