Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tube shocks vs Pete and Jakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dsiddons, Mar 15, 2019.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Planning to blow apart this A I recently acquired and like the stock wish bone spring in front of the axle that’s on it. Car tracks straight and all and besides the awful steering setup it has a bit of a bounce that I don’t care for. The bottom spring is completely flat so I find it hard to believe it’s doing much. My question is by replacing the small Pete and Jakes shocks with a tall 49’ Ford F1 tube shock would this stiffen the ride? Not a lot of clearance for the larger diameter shock also. So imagine the F1 mounts mounted backwards and the larger tube shock behind the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shocks can "tune in" any ride, bike, sled, and certainly hot rods. Are what you have worn out? Has the damping faded away some? Temporary but worth a try, take one off and compress it upside down then extend it right side up. You're liable to notice the action is jumpy and you'll feel air traped in the shock oil. Do this about a dozen times and see if it comes back. If so do both and go for test run. What it will tell you is you need a newer and maybe stiffer shock for better control and ride quality. As usual too much one way or the other makes it worse as in too soft or too stiff which then turns the gig into a house of cards.

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I looked up F1 shocks and they are around 18$ so I’m probably gonna grab a seat and do what you just said to do and compare them. I may go as far as trying to mount the f1’s and see what I find. Either way if I have to ditch the front spring for a over the axle I want the F1 shocks anyway. I’m just kinda keeping busy for a bit and try to decide before so I won’t be disappointed later. Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. sdluck

sdluck

The shocks job is to damping not to hold the car up. My model A had no front shocks for many years,front springs had some leafs removed ,rode good expect bad bump steer.

dsiddons likes this.