Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built Crosley Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1952B3b23, Jan 5, 2019.

1. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Although WAY beyond my limited fabrication skills, As I look at the profile, esthetically, the the tail appears to "dive" from the seat back much too quickly, so could I suggest that the "look" of the tail might be altered to extend a bit more horizontal to the rear before dropping off? Or at least not so dramatically turn down? (More like a '60s Formula car or Midget racer, although nor necessarily incorporating the "headrest"?) This is not meant as a criticism in any way of what you are doing, & I realize this would be enclosing "air"(much of the inside would be open, aside from the fuel tank in the front of the tail), & is strictly "esthetics" , but is only meant as an observation. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^ ditto on all points......

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Grate work you are doing, thanks for sharing, keep the pic's comming... i will follow your thread.

loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  4. fortynut

fortynut

As explorers go sailing into the unknown, those on the wharf are shouting out directions on how to deal with the monsters at edge of the world. I would like to to be a fly on the wall in the grog shop when they wander back and argue the finer points of the art of monster killing. My remarks are as follows: Gentleman! Please remember none of us has sponsored this, nor did we plan the execution of the details. Your response was like those of the crowd supporting the bull. I would suggest we go home and pray these is a good conclusion, and reserve our considerations until the voyage is over. OF COURSE PANDEMONIUM ENSUES. All this little darling needs is a jewel box.

chryslerfan55, Jibs and alanp561 like this.
  5. I appreciate the comment, thank you. It’s easy to overlook things when you’re around it all the time. The tail will be lengthened horizontally by six inches. In doing that I’ll raise the backbone curve a little so it doesn’t dive as quickly. I think then it will have more of a gradual slope leading up to the point.

-Chris

Instagram: @39_deluxe

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I agree with more length and less down slope. M:)y 2 cents!

loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  7. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

It's going to be beautiful. Hope to see it in person someday.

loudbang, Hnstray and 1952B3b23 like this.
  8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks Chris : you understood that my comment was NOT a Critique, but a only gentle suggestion. Others are totally correct : this build definitely needs to have a matching "jewel box"! Gee, now that it's been mentioned, that's a perfect name for a matching enclosed trailer!!!

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

10. sololobo

sololobo

this is some super building, I am just star struck by this work. Will be following this along

CaptainComet, loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  11. Thanks everyone for the interest in this and the compliments. Bob’s work is really fantastic. The body I’m doing will help take this thing to the next level.

Thanks again!

Chris

12. pumpman

pumpman

Next level? I think you guys have passed that already.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    loudbang, 1952B3b23 and Hnstray like this.
  13. Here’s a side profile shot of version two of the tail section. I only did the side profile to make sure Bob liked it before continuing on. He does, so now I can finish tying it in.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

The first go round was good, now it's even better.

15. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.00.12.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 02.02.28.png Reminds me a little to Talbot T-26 C and the Maseratti 8CTF " boyle special " but yours more harmonic... thanks for sharing your progress, absolute astonishing your work.

16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

17. Thank you!The Maserati (Boyle Special )is one of my all time favorites. It’s so beautiful.

chryslerfan55, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  18. That’s going to look sweet!

1952B3b23 and loudbang like this.
  19. Please post lots of in-process pics when you start the panels. I am gearing up to make a tail section (whole body actually) for an early style sprint car that I'm building. Problem is, I don't know what I'm doing!

20. Will do! Basically all the tools I use for shaping panels are low buck. You can make a lot of them yourself which helps save dough. I’ll share those too once the time comes.

Chris

21. Just found you on IG and started following along!

brEad, 1952B3b23 and loudbang like this.
  22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

23. The lines look just right, it's going to be fantastic when finished.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

The engineering and fabrication on this car blows me away, I really look forward to seeing it finished, and hopefully hearing it run as well.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  25. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I got a chance to finish up the changes to the wireform of the tail section. I decided I would take the preliminary panel that I had for the first version of the tail and rework it to fit the new shape. I took some progress pictures to show how I reworked the panel. One of the big issues was that the first version of the tail had more shape (stretching) in certain areas. I needed to shrink this out so the panel would fit tighter to the wires. One way of doing this is to radially shrink the high spots. So I took the panel over to the leather bag and hammered in a circular pattern working my way into the center. By working from the outside in, the metal in the center has no place to go so it starts to collapse in on itself as you hammer. You can tell that shrinking is happening by the “wrinkles” present in the metal. After doing the radial shrink I flipped the panel over and hammered from the inside out on a flat stump. Hammering just enough to smooth the panel a bit to make it easier to go through the wheel. Then I wheeled the area to remove the wonky spots. You have to go with medium/ light pressure in the wheel or else you’ll stretch all the shrinking back out.
    This is a very handy method for fixing spots where you over stretch. The panel is far from done but I’ll keep beating it up till it fits well and I like the flow. Then I’ll use it to make a Flexible Shape Pattern for making the real deal panel.

Thanks for looking.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] this is the area that requires shrinking.

[​IMG] radial shrink. Working from the outside in, in a circular pattern.

[​IMG] the wrinkle spots that show that shrinking is happening.

[​IMG] radial shrinking pattern.

[​IMG] this shows the gap between the panel and wires prior to shrinking.

[​IMG] fitting much better now.

26. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Dang. That is amazing. Don't take this the wrong way, but your first picture in that series just looked like a dented up mess. I'm amazed at what you are doing.

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  27. mkebaird

mkebaird

Wow, looking forward to this build!

28. thanks. Yeah usually the panels look horrendous before they get better! Lol

29. chrisp

chrisp

I don't know if I would have done that instead of starting over. I would have expected it needed to be annealed to shrink it that much.
    You were wondering about the wheels at the beginning of the thread, they look like Turrino to me, they're the only ones I know of who make custom wire wheel.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  30. Starting over would have taken longer and since it’s a preliminary panel just to check flow, it needs to be remade anyhow. I also learned a bunch by working through the problem instead of starting over. I’ve never tried to shrink that much in the middle of a panel.
    I didn’t anneal it at all. The material is .050” 3003-H14 so it went pretty easily. The final panels will be the same alloy but .063” thick.

I’m not sure who made the wire wheels but I know they came from the UK. Turrino does make some beautiful wheels.

rod1, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.