Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What did you carry in your trunk.. back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Responded to a thread about pillows in the cars, back in the day. Got me to thinking what all I carried in my car, usually in the trunk, back in the day when I “lived” in my car.
    I carried a box of tools, sleeping bag, pillows, overcoat, tarp, pick handle, shotgun, a bottle of Jack for snake bite and an ice chest and a tow chain.
    Just wondered what maybe other guys carried.... for emergencies......lol

Bones

wicarnut and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. Justin bag with extra clothes, water, fishing rod, sometimes even a spare tire....

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Lately I have taken to carrying bottles of steak sauce and hot sauce. Restaurants never have any good sauce.

56don, Steves46, Frankie47 and 4 others like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Mid 60's Some tools, jack, spare and a tow chain, got pretty good at keeping chain tight from practice, broke driveline often after buying recap street slicks, all my parts came from the local junkyard. Fun times/memories.

5. Just turned 18. I carried a spare, a few tools and about 6 one gallon empty paraffin oil cans. The rear main in the Y-block leaked so bad I couldn't afford to keep oil in it so I skimmed used oil out of the open 55 gallon drums at the truck stop. Sometimes the gallon cans would leak and I'd have to "quarter car wash" the trunk.
    Check in front of my car in this photo. The entire street is oiled down where I parked it! 55fordin66.jpg

302GMC, dana barlow, 62rebel and 8 others like this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Spare tire,tools,booze.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my 51 Merc I think there was a 16 inch spare off an F1 that came with the car. Some sort of jack and a lug wrench and a hand full of tools
    When I had my 55 Buick when I was in trade school it had a spare, pretty good jack and lug wrench and a small tool box that I think is still out in the shed. It was the same tool box I had when I worke at Boeing during the summer of 1966. I think I had a tow chain but I was usually the one who went out and towed my buddys in.

wicarnut and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. dwollam

dwollam

More people to get in the drive-in movie without paying!

Dave

9. 1932tub

1932tub

Pick handle! better under the front seat.

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Me...just the battery. In 69, shortly after buying my 56, 210 sedan, I had a big mess to clean the firewall and battery shelf. So...it went into a boat battery box, and into the trunk.

My dad...if I wanted to go to the Winter Nationals (1962, 63, 64, etc., there was no Finals in Pomona at the time), I had to go in the trunk...my dad didn't have the money for both of us..! When no one was around, I climed out. Luckily, we only lived about 7 miles from the track.

Mike

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Tools, quart or two of oil, and a jug of coolant. On a long trip two spares so I didn't have to worry about no spare until I got to my destination to get the inevitable flat tire fixed or repaired. Spare clothes in the back seat to match the season. Roll of electrical tape stashed somewhere. Last take off fan belt under the front seat, points and condenser in the glove box, maybe a plug or two somewhere, figured if they all worked when I last changed them out for regular maintenance they'd get me home in a pinch.

Some parts of travel adventure in "the good old days" I can live without in the "here and now"..........

Ed

belair and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. robracer1

robracer1

A jack, lug wrench and spare tire. My tools, a hammer, screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a coat hanger which was all you needed to fix anything back in the day!

13. I grew up in western NY so:
    Year round; Spare tire, jack and 4 way,
    Blanket
    Ammo can full of common hand tools, bailing wire, fuses, tape, a spark plug or two, couple of lengths of wire, qt of oil, gallon of coolant, tow chain, small cooler, and a change of clothes.
    Winter months i added;
    2 bags of kitty litter, entrenching tool, two old bath mat carpets. (With those 3 things you can get unstuck from almost any winter condition)
    After I got out of the service I added work gloves, water, a pretty complete first aid kit and a couple of MRE's
    Chappy

14. { BACK IN THE DAY } spare tire, tools, oil, bed, clothes, food, drinks, wife, etc. etc. { NOW } a phone and AAA:rolleyes: Sometimes the wife could ride up front.:confused: lol 138.jpg 318.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    dwollam, J. A. Miller, blowby and 4 others like this.
  15. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Chewing gum ! Never knew when I might have to repair a blown fuse. Later Bill

16. My Rambler wagon has a little locking compartment and a spacious spare tire well under the rear floor, under the carpet. Most people would never know they were there. A lot of booze rode around under that carpet back in my under-age days.

17. I drove a Y block Ford back then so I didn't need many tools, just a screwdriver, pliers, wire, and a spare tire, oh yeah, lots of extra oil!

18. My pals that wanted to go to the drive-in theater and were broke after we bought a couple of cases of beer. HRP

19. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Since my '60 was my high school car, I always had a toolbox in the trunk. I realize now in the world we live in, that I would be expelled for bringing 'weapons' onto school grounds.

20. A case of empty quart beer bottles to eventually be returned for deposit.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tools, spider gears, points, velocity stack, collector gaskets, locking lug nut key, sleeping bag, peppermint schnapps, overnight bag, hai karate

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  22. Rebel01

Rebel01

My mom had a UW Pendleton wool blanket in her ‘67 firebird when I was growing up. Parents got it for a wedding gift in ‘55. Fast forward. We acquired it 26 years ago. Last week some shit bag broke into the brides car and stole it out of the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. CME1

CME1

My 1953 Chevy 2dr post in HS, I had a spare tire, jack , lug wrench, small tool box w/tools, a quart of oil, a gal of water. And then for comfort, a couple Army blankets, a ice chest usually with beer and a small first aid kit. And what ever else was needed at the time. That's how I remember, may have forgot an item or two!

24. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

When I was a kid all I remember carrying was a spare, jack and lug wrench. What amazes me now is that old car never broke down or had a flat. I did limp home a couple times.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. blackanblue

blackanblue

Mostly beer, tools never heard condoms back then.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. williebill

williebill

rolling papers, pipe, sometimes concentrated, dried, hard substances wrapped in aluminum foil hidden under the spare.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tools, a spare, a jack and a .22 plus ammo-lived in the country

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Chicken bullion cubes are good in a pinch when camping but I never had to hide them.:)

There was always a fishing pole on the gun rack of my truck with an assortment of lures and hooks under the seat. Occasionally a shot gun or 22 if I stayed out of DC.

Boneyard51 and olscrounger like this.
  29. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Sleeping bag, condoms just in case,LOL

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6-pack and ice cooler ....what else would you carry

Boneyard51 likes this.