Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Lars Mapstead Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

We ran it at rpm nationals may he I will bring it to fast

2. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

It has leather cushions for comfort driving :)

29bowtie, ct1932ford, Tim and 4 others like this.
  3. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I was fortunate enough to have the majority of the parts for this car sitting on the shelf was very cool how it all came together the reason we we went with the truck grill is it was on the shelf. Same with the headlights which were on a famous hotrod . The generator is from a tractor . I had all the gauges but the 2 centers and the seats I also had on the shelf. This car handles and stops perfectly it is a very well put together car and I had no worries mashing the throttle on its shakedown run at rpm nationals . No better way to break it in than a good old fashioned air strip drag race. It was pretty quick but I think it would be most awesome at full tilt max gas in 3rd gear as this engine was built to race at Indy 500 races.

scott27, dwollam, ct1932ford and 6 others like this.
  4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I enjoyed talking to Lars before and during the shoot. Knows his stuff and he communicates it casually in an informative and humorous manner. Interesting character for sure.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. heavydumper

heavydumper

Beautiful. Cool.

Congratulations and kudos to all involved in creating it.

That grill has me scratching my head...

It is a commercial grill but was the insert created to fit inside? I thought commercial grills didn't have removable inserts like the one this car seems to have.

Please help me figure this out. Thank you!

6. I need to come shop from your shelves. :rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. belair

belair

Juuust right. Liked the palm tree reflected in the gas cap top. The only four pipes that come close to the ones on this car are the ones on the old Honda 400f.

8. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the article of this car.
    I can’t tell you how much I love everything about this hot rod!
    I have been soaking up everything I can find on it on the net ever since I saw a video of it doing its first test drive.
    Including making friends that got to go to GNRS take as many pics as possible of it for me.
    What an amazing hot rod!
    Hats off to Lars and Clayton’s Hot Rods!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. So amazing! I would love to hear it! I've seen it on Instagram, but haven't seen any video's of it running.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one interesting car that will take a few hours of studying.

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW , Amazing history and its now on the road . Kool . It is a beautiful piece of engineering . Thank you for sharing .

12. chiro

chiro

I believe they may be Electrolines. Only seen them on one other car in pictures and did have an opportunity to buy a pair and held them in my hands but they were way too speedy.
    Andy

13. I don't often say "perfect"
    Today I did!
    WOW!!!

14. alchemy

alchemy

The headlights are Autolamp. The same kind as found on the Eddie Dye roadster. Not Arrow, Guide, BLC, Electroline, King Bee, or any other brand.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Fogger

Fogger

A beautiful '32 and a great engine to power it. Thanks to Tom Davison for the fantastic photos. I look forward to seeing this roadster in person, hopefully at the LARS this June. Tom has taken many shots of my beater '32 roadster and made it look 100% better than it is, thats not the case here. This is a truly beautiful creation. Well done!!!

16. brady1929

brady1929

I love this hot rod. Does anyone know the color? And the paint code please?

17. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

WOW!! this car is a work of ART

18. J2X

J2X

A wonderful period, the 1940s. An ultra wonderful car to celebrate the 1940s !!!!! AND IT IS DRIVEN.

19. Been a couple days with nobody to help you. Don't let the bright trim fool you into thinking it's an insert, that's trim from '34 commercial. Likely the center bars are painted the light color to give the impression. My old '30 hiboy had the same setup that Keith built for it, had the same confusing effect on many.

This car is so cool, that's all there is to say.

20. That car is simply "Art on Wheels"! Hats off to all the talented people involved in the project.

21. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Funny you should say that :)

22. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Yeah not an insert just painted with the trim piece added

23. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Speaking for myself as an amature mechanic and hot rodder, this is the kind of car that really teaches as well as impresses. The car is so much more than the sum of it's, albeit rare parts and perfect execution in assembly. As Ryan has shared in the post, this ends up has a beautiful history lesson. One can't help but think that in 50 years this will be one of those cars that is as appreciated then as it is today. Stunning hot rod!

24. Those pictures are great but seeing this car in person is a different experience. Just a great built '32 Ford......

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

Pure and perfect.

26. You took the words right out of my mouth.

27. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_O I did TOO...yer not the only dumbass here!

28. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

I absolutely adore that engine! Has an almost European flavour to it, I would love to hear it run! I'm off to youtube to try and find it.

That said, I agree with the comments about this needing a healthy dose of patina... it's just too shiny right now. And yes, a cushioned bench would be so much nicer, or at least those seats partially trimmed.

How hard would it be to build an engine like this? I play with twin-cams on a regular basis, but they're of a 60's Italian persuasion, not early American. But I'd love to build an engine like that for my Deuce.

29. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Alchemy, thanks very much for the clarification on those headlights. I have a pair of these headlights and I never did know who made them. All I knew is that they were made in Chicago Illinois. In addition to the Eddie Dye roadster the Niekamp roadster does run these same brand of headlights as well. In most of the pictures of the Niekamp roadster, there are no headlights at all, but there are one or two photos that show these same headlights when it has the headlights mounted on the car.

30. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Hello fellas,

As I said, I searched high and low to try and find any video registers of this car running, but so far came up empty-handed... does anyone have links to videos of this fabulous machine?