Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving the Kookie Kar back to 1958

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 12, 2018.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

Wow!!!
    I hadn't seen this. Totally Bit-Chin!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. From the March 10th roybriziostreetrods Instagram feed:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (71).jpg
    Update Kookie Kar: A lot of research went into the exhaust part of the restoration. Parts are getting polished before final assembly. Very little to fabricate using as much of the original parts as possible.

dana barlow, 40two, robber and 10 others like this.
  3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great thread , this is one of my favorite cars ,

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

This is really all I need to hear about the restoration of the car to know it's in the right hands.

dana barlow and Denns1989 like this.
  5. Looks like they had a bunch of photos of Franco’s clone on the bench a few pics back.

Funny if you think about it...

I’m sure Franco poured over all the original pics of Norms car to build his clone and now they’re using the clone as reference for the original.

Crazy world we live in...

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

When the hot rod is finished is it going to a collection or mabe on tour? If this has been stated I missed it.....

7. Nope ... Those are color photos of the original ... not @Von Franco's clone.

8. Ross & Beth Myers were the winning bidders (@ $440,000) at the MECUM - Indy auction (in May of 2018).

After the restored Kookie Kar is shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance (on Sunday, August 18th 2019), it will reside in Myers' Boyertown, Pennsylvania "3DOG GARAGE" collection.

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Maybe Franco will now build a 'Watson" version of this historic vehicle,,,,,

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Normandin's Chrysler, San Jose, CA. 1959: Norm was there with the car, which was on tour in the showroom. My bud John Lyons and I tooled over in my channeled 'A' Coupe, parked out front. Norm was very accomodating, allowed me to slide under for a 'looksee'...Dirty underneath, esp. front of rear axle housings...rest was painted candy apple red. (looked superb from rear)
    Norm said Kookie took off in 2nd, because low gear was too 'fierce'. Also had to be careful of blowing the box, which Norm had done twice before. The actor who hit the light post with the car didn't listen, and made a big jump in LOW GEAR.
    I remember my '40 with the Buick 'torque monster'...even THAT was 'friendlier' taking off in second.

dana barlow, Stogy, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  11. From the March 23rd Roy Brizio Street Rods Inc Facebook timeline / roybriziostreetrods Instagram feed:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (72).jpg
    Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton doing some exhausting work on the Kookie T Restoration

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (73).jpg

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (74).jpg

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (75).jpg

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (76).jpg

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (77).jpg

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (78).jpg

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (79).jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Period revival...a pleasure to witness...thanks @HEMI32

robber, brad2v, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nice work, but apparently they can't decide which style of exhaust tips to run. One side has belly burners, and the other has straight up pipes. Both types were used on the original car....just not at the same time.

Blue One and Stogy like this.
  14. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Man this is so cool, it brings back so many youthful memories. The 1st time I saw this hot rod was at Wayne Hearne's house in Concord NC on his tv. I was an instant fan of 77 SUNSET STRIP after that.....

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

BIG kudos to Hemi 32 for his on-the-spot camera, and accurate coverage of what's going on with the iconic 'T' that changed the tide. I have waited for years, as I did see it first hand on display. Post #191, 3rd pic in the rebuilder's hand was the 'version' I crawled under: Note the gearshift knob Norm had carved then. It's Natasha Badenoff, arch enemy of Rocky the flying squirrel!
    The undercar coverage ('uncoverage'?) of the chassis/running gear is both frustrating and satisfying, opinions fly like sparks on 'how everybody did it', and some say 'All the magazine cars then were like this'...
    Well, I can tell you not all were. Since age 12, I was a 'witness': Allowed to 'hang around' that young, it was a privelege (and a 'quest') to see the underpinnings of the stubby A's, '32s, and the rest of the cars that ran at our little San Jose drag strip.
    Rex Barnett once told me that were he to have drawn 'errors' in his Hot Rod Magazine 'cutaway drawings', there would have been 'some'...but that was not the 'norm'.
    I have the original Ray Anderegg frame, (1955 AMBR) and arc welded it is, but perfectly useable, no haggard or cracked welds. (some are pretty 'heavy', but Ray had gone over them twice, around rear cross member and spring perch.)
    This remarkable coverage is priceless. I've filed the thread in my 'Kookie Kar Kolection', which started at my shop when I drew the frame for Von Franco.
    I had thought the frame was 'bent' at the firewall, (the 'Mad Rake!') but thanks to Hemi 32 we can now see how Norm did it. Not that it was 'gospel'...)
    Many thanks, this has bugged me for years...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  16. Danscig

Danscig

In case it hasn't already mentioned...there is a movie on Amazon called "the car that ate my brain", all about Norm and the T bucket. Lots of kookie stuff and early pics

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Anybody know if the spring hangers were just bolted on with the perch pins when Norm and Ivo ran them flipped around on their front axles? It's hard to tell from pictures if they were welded in place or just bolted. Seems like they'd want to pivot back and forth if they we're just bolted.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Norm said they were 'welded'. I asked him expressly, as mine was a '38 tube (shamelessly copied! I just didn't want to weld on my beautiful V8 60 tube! Reluctantly, I had my welding genius partner Don Serventi stitch weld it, arced with 6011)
    It had to be, because no matter how tight, new shackle bushings, etc., they'd 'turn in'.
    Don did his magic, you couldn't see that 3/8" long bead under there...

19. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Ok. That's what I thought. Any pics of yours? Thanks for confirming that they were welded!

20. From the April 4th Roy Brizio Street Rods Inc. Facebook timeline / roybriziostreetrods Instagram feed:

Kookie T is off to paint now ... i.e., heading to Roy's brother-in-law Daryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck's "Vintage COLOR Studio" in Concord, CA:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (80).jpg

... and from the April 4th vintagecolorstudio Instagram feed:

Kookie has arrived!:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio(1).jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Kinda sitting there naked...oozing history as you stare at it...every old Hotrod has it but you really know where this has been and it is a Looker in its many upgrades.

Looking good and an exciting revival knowing where it's going. Thanks for the continued updates @HEMI32

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  22. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

I have more pictures on my instagram if you want jakespeed60

Tman, Greg Stokes, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. Thanks Jack!

From Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton's March 1st Instagram feed:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - March 1, 2019.jpg
    R&D on the Kookie project and final mock-up.​

... from Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton's March 5th Instagram feed:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - March 5, 2019 (1).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - March 5, 2019 (2).jpg
    Current job for awhile. More research than work goes into these type of projects.​

... from Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton's March 15th Instagram feed:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - March 15, 2019.jpg
    Office view today!​

... and from Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton's April 7th Instagram feed:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - April 7, 2019 (1).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - April 7, 2019 (2).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - April 7, 2019 (3).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - April 7, 2019 (4).jpg
    Finished the mock-up, now torn down and sent to chrome and paint. Assembly planned to start in June.

catdad49, Paul, dana barlow and 8 others like this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@jakespeed55, Jack: Having done lots of header/pipe work, I was in awe of the flow (and the intermediate connections) your pipeworks took.
    Not 'simple' by any means, all the bypass stubs and the 'secondary headers' to lead into mufflers...all within the confines of a '22 T body, and not much bed. Amazing.

Say hi to Roy, please...long time no see.
    'Uncle Mike', previously of San Jose.

25. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Thanx Mike it has been a fun project and should be posting assembly photos soon
    I will tell roy you said hi

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  26. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

A friend of mine here has a T roadster built in the early 60's its the first hot rod he had ever seen and he bought it 40 years later it has a 370 Pontiac with 3 2's and a 4 speed I have rode in it I was amazed how great it rode it has a 4 bar built out of sucker rod and so were the ladder bars If you restored this car it would be just another street rod stick welds on a shortened model A frame but its how they were built then

Torkwrench and dana barlow like this.
  27. From Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck's May 4th vintagecolorstudio Instagram feed:

Got the body and rest of parts in primer on Kookie today:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (2).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (3).jpg

28. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Instead of “Kookie lend me your comb”, how about Kookie lend me your car!

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the photos & updates. This may be the only Pebble Beach restoration that has been posted before the event. Really looking forward to seeing it in August. Bob

Stogy, HEMI32 and dana barlow like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

By the way, the original welds Norm put down didn't hurt making the car famous, and I'd never seen them close up until the above post, sure hope they leave them alone if still good. Over restoration isn't a good thing. Bob

Last edited: May 6, 2019