Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering drag link angle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HarborKustomSpeedShop, Mar 11, 2019.

1. So I know this has been covered to death on here but I haven’t found a straight forward answer. My question is should the drag link be parallel to the ground or follow the same angle as the wishbones and their arc?

I’ll attach a picture of my coupe, it seems to have bump steer. I’m constantly having to correct the wheel to keep it straight.

Caster is about 9* with it on the ground.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

read the thread about cowl steering... just stop it

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Doesn’t matter at this point for you that geometry is wrong , go with what you think looks best it’s not going to make any difference either way

The pitman should be 180* for best geometry

4. BJR

BJR

How does that not steer backwards with the pitman arm up instead of down?

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

just takes some gettin used to it. oh, and dont let any one else drive

oj likes this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

My guess is it’s a Vega tipped on its side , guys did this with 37-48 pass boxes and mustang boxes also

HarborKustomSpeedShop likes this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

That's classic bump steer geometry . . .

8. rustythumb

rustythumb

pete and jake's catalog explains it.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure is!

10. Thanks for all the help everyone! I try to make it better and if not I will fix it, doesn’t matter if I have to reinvent the whole system! I’m not real experienced in steering setups but I want it to be right. It’s just hard to but a tradition cross steer in a pinched 32’ frame for a model A with the setup I’m running up front! Hell I can always go with a coal steering setup! Everyone loves those! Hahaha

Again thanks!

dana barlow likes this.
  11. AmishMike

AmishMike

Like tb33*** shows above u have the 2nd situation. Measure & lay it out actual size on garage floor then do arch’s with string & marker u have bump steer. How to fix? You eliminated cross steer so I think live with it part of driving a hot rod. You could play with changing mounting points to see what involved on that floor layout. looks like nice radical chopped coupe.

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

Wow! That diagram in post #10 by tb33--- really pointed out the proper geometry for a drag link/radius rod mounting points. I thought I was pretty clever and had pretty decent geometry (but not perfect) on my drag link/radius rod design when I built my T many years ago, but it has some significant bump steer. That diagram really opened my eyes and I realize my flawed thinking. Now I have to consider if I'm just going to live with it or go through some significant changes to improve it. Darn (me banging head against table), ..... I learn this now, after I finally had the car apart for paint about a year ago!:(

Lynn

13. Lynn, download the first few pages of the Pete & Jake's catalog. It has the complete story on suspension geometry. Very helpful.

Phil

gimpyshotrods likes this.