Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 and tremecs now traditional ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Get a 95 -01 explorer or mountaineer rear end and shorten left tube and use another right side axle .i have one under my parklane .3:73 post with disc brakes .you can buy them all day for 150.00 .i found an easy way to shorten the tube and its stronger than other methods

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DrDragon likes this.
  2. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I mean, I’ve been described as “trash with class” before, nothing new here. Or was that my Thunderbird? I don’t remember.

bobss396, Blue One and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Depends on how you view traditional I suppose. The hot rods and the rodders that we try to emulate used the best that they could get. So if you think a T5 or a Tremac is the best you can get then they are as traditional as hell. On the other hand if you think that traditional is only what was available in the era that you are shooting at then they are not traditional at all.

I am not a big fan of them but I build differently then everyone else and most of the fellas will tell you that I am wrong in my ideas. ;)

wood remover and 283john like this.
  4. I'm listening. How do shorten it the easy way.

5. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

So, Im ok with doing anything you want to your own hotrod. Im fairly new here, and honestly a bit confused on what is acceptable on this site. People get flamed for some things, and other things slide. This has kept me from posting about a few things I’m doing. For instance... Putting a clutchflite front in a modern 46re overdrive trans. Acceptable???

scrap metal 48 and wood remover like this.
  6. The sticker or logo that @roseville carl posted..... while not all hugs nice words, does get the point across that most all of us say every time someone asks :

Do you like this?
    Is this “trad”?
    Is this how it was done?
    I wanna built it like this/that/period ... etc.

build what you like and what suits you !!

The heart of hot rodding, what makes us and the people before us love this old rusty garbage.....

( let’s face it to most People what and how we spend our time on these old cars is lost on them and they think we are all flat out crazy for wasting our time and money on this hobby)

But the heart of it always was building what you like , how you like it with the parts that are available to you.

Sticking to a traditional build,
    A “ traditionally inspired build”
    Or something in between is all good.
    Different stokes for different folks.

Heck I find myself looking at my local classified
    finding old wheels and speed parts custom parts etc from stuff I grew up with in the 80’s and 90’s and thinking “ dang that would look cool on a old school xyz build “ not for this site so I’m not saying anything.

But I digress...... cars are fun in any style and I think we can all drink to that !!

C1DA2DCC-1746-4096-95AA-CF401CB190AF.jpeg

classiccarjack and lumpy 63 like this.
  7. Traditional? No... Necessary? Yes. Even Tardel has succumbed to their use, because the days when you could get a replacement '39 toploader for $10 out of the local bone yard are long gone, besides the fact that even a mildly hopped-up flathead has enough power to explode one.

Not much fun owning a Hot Rod if you can't beat on it once in a while....:D

8. This is what I am talking about right here .
    As a new guy trendz doesnt really know what he can and cant post .
    And a few guys here would be all over him !!!
    But someone who has been around awhile can get away with it and even get responses ...

9. Pretend like you are gay and in the Navy. Don't ask don't tell.

We have a tendency to pick on our own favorite things. I personally like to drive a clutch turbo or a clutch-flite. Not traditional in the strictest sense (I am not sure who built the first clutch-flite or when they did it). I am not a fan of OD so when asked I usually do not recommend it either, but for the most part you can get way with what does not show. That falls under traditionally styled and not pure traditional.

Here is an example a lot of my cars run T-400s. They are pretty much bullet proof and I have a tendency to abuse things. No one gets their panties too bunched up over it or at least they never say much about it. Some guys will tell you that if it does not have 3 peddles it is not traditional, but I just happen to own a B&M Hydro (until it changes owners LOL) and it is just laying there saying "OH YEA? Well then kiss my grits."

Anyway for the most part don't major on what really isn't "Trad" and you will be fine.

Stkman, wood remover and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Maybe the point here is that times are changing as well .
    Not sure how long the HAMB has been around
    Lets say 20 years ???
    Maybe it's time to call traditional 1984 and under !!!!
    As much as I hate to type it maybe and just maybe it is something that should be entertained .
    After all a lot of the stuff used and not mentioned are from that era .
    Vega boxes ,700 r4s ,so cal axles , tube shockes etc .
    Or not

Rich S. likes this.
  11. The problem with that mentality is that you cannot change history.

A big part of what the HAMB is all about is the preservation of history. We actually hashed this all out back before the kinder gentler HAMB, back when you could drop the F bomb and not one batted an aye or when you became friends by calling someone an ass hat and then meeting them at the HAMB Drags and laughing about it over beers in the parking lot of the Ramada Inn.

These days we are certainly more tolerant of people's ideas and build styles and we certainly don't get too moved by someone building with modern components but Tradition is always going to be the same and hopefully there will always be people who determine to build cars strictly traditional.

You simply cannot change history.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Rich S., 427 sleeper, BamaMav and 3 others like this.
  12. 392

5432-1. I’d say this is a better topic than show us your .....or look at me etc. This topic will actually get more frequent as time marches on and rightfully so. Eventually it will all work together as long the look is correct. My 2 1/2 cents.

wood remover likes this.
  13. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

What Lumpy said, 70mph at 2200 rpm in the fast lane. Can you tell what the nice swan neck shifter is attached to? The big Caddy needs to stretch it's legs, I think you still call it a HOTROD> P1010035.JPG Interior.jpg 37 At Old Timers.jpg Caddy in 37.JPG

14. LOL for a low RPM mill an OD is a good thing. I mentioned in a different thread that I owned a flathead Merc with a factory OD way back when for example.

There is another way to look at it. Some of us run pretty lumpy cams, those engines are not made to run at low RPMs. It is actually detrimental to them to be lugged around. but a low RPM mill needs one of two things either tall gears or low gears and an OD.

dan griffin and wood remover like this.
  15. Maybe just an added thread for a little later built stuff, dont get me wrong I build and own traditional but I certainly dont get bent out of shape trying and seeing new work too.
    Todays younger builders dont have 5000.00 to spend on a flathead or 150.00 on a brake drum or even know what set of points or magneto is .still would like to see builds traditional ,you know factory stuff as opposed to credit card stuff , currie .so cal etc , but there is 70s 80s stuff still out there that can be found and not ruin your wallet .

16. 2935ford

2935ford

I look at it this way. If what I post doesn't get yanked by the boss or the moderators......it must be Ok.
    If it gets yanked then it isn't. Pretty simple to me! :)

17. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

The way i did it is i cut the tube in the flat area just before it goes to the 31/4 diameter then again after it flattened out the smaller diameter piece almost fit in the larger but not quite it could be ground down with a small grinder but i have a lathe so i turned it down till i could tap it into the larger tube .use the right side as a reference for your measurements make them exactly the same .measure around the flange where the caliper bracket bolts on in at least 4 places..once you get it where you think its square slide the axle in if it slides in with no drag its good to go .tack the tube in one spot and check it again .if its good put a second tack weld 120 degrees away then check again .finally if everything is still square and the axle still slides in and out with no drag weld it up. Remove the axle seal before testing with the axle. It creates drag on the axle .once you get it welded up put in a new seal and paint it and your done. It took me an hour and a half to do and by sliding the tube into the tube its much stronger than cutting tubes in the middle and butt welding them.mines got almost 15000 miles on it now and no problems

irishsteve, DrDragon and wood remover like this.
  18. The thread that got me going on this titled "tremec t5 " , 2 pages long !
    First line reads 302 with tremec .
    302 - 1968 first available
    Tremec - 1978 ??
    No up roar at all , no deletion .
    Even if the boss man said air bags and tremecs are fine , is 1968 302 acceptable ?
    302 werent available till 1968

bdynpnt likes this.
  19. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Well look at all the 350s in these cars too

Clay Belt, Rich S. and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Always wondered, where do disc brakes fit into the acceptability spectrum?

Rich S. likes this.
  21. pkhammer

pkhammer

I love a traditionally styled rod and I love to see an early V8 mill under the hood but as for transmission, steering, brakes or suspension choices for the most part I'm open. If having ac, radial tires and an overdrive transmission makes the difference between driving it in comfort and trailering it or worse yet, it sitting in the garage then I'll make those concessions. My '32 pickup is going to look like it was built in the 50's, and the 331 Cad mill certainly fits the bill as well, just don't look too close at some of the other stuff!

Rich S. and bdynpnt like this.
  22. My 26 T touring has disk brakes my father installed in 1978 , to a 1939 ford axle with 42 round back spindles . Prior to that it has a 39 v8 60 flathead , 3 speed toploader 40 rearend
    40 steering box , can it be called non traditional or seeing opertunities to make it asafer ride . This is a true hot rod built in the day !!!! Only other thing not right is a single wire alternator ...It would probably still have a generator if it had not left him stranded 200 miles from home ...

bdynpnt likes this.
  23. Thanks bdynpnt, My brother has access to a lathe.

24. 41fred207

41fred207

So u mean I've been killing myself fabbing in an old f1 box, traditional steering, transverse springs (front and back!) '62 283 , etc, etc, trying to be as traditional as I could and to try to fit in around here and still too afraid I would be flamed off to post any pics, all for nothing!! I'll stay in the shadows and enjoy the vast knowledge as I plan to drive my t-5 to S-10 rearend this summer in all her Rusty glory while u guys sort out what's good enough for u as I know what's good enough for me!

seb fontana, Rich S. and Nostrebor like this.
  25. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I flew on a 1929 ford Tri-Motor airplane a few years ago and believe it or not it had Disc brakes .

Rich S. likes this.
  26. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Not sure my sbc is a low rpm mill...it also see's 3000 on lots of road trips but thats WAY over the posted speed limits ,the needle does see 6 grand from time to time and it has a very noticeable idle :D Not saying its like my old z28 302 but still fun . And it pulls down 22 mpg if I keep my foot out of it....

27. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

It doesn't take very much to get it down to the correct size either .i left the flange for the ujoint and got an aluminum drive shaft from an 06 crown vic cop car .got an adapter joint for the front to put the AOD yoke on it (same as c4 ) and it fits perfect IMG_20170805_115601832_HDR_optimized.jpeg IMG_20170805_115605285_optimized.jpeg IMG_20170814_195254949_optimized.jpeg IMG_20170826_155737461_optimized.jpeg IMG_20170826_155817053_optimized.jpeg

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

The 8.8 Explorer swap is whaat you should look into.

29. Pretty sure that was what was suggested to him . And what he is maching the parts for .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.