Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 and tremecs now traditional ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just curious

bdynpnt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

To each his own.
    It just depends on HOW exact and 'traditional' you want to build your car.

wood remover likes this.
  3. For me it does not make a whole lot of difference , I like to learn all about most things automotive , but I see guys get bent out of shape over some things non traditional and some stuff just slides .

4. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Is it traditional to not give a Damn what other people do with their time and money? Old cars are a fashion item get over it. I could care less if some wears sneakers without socks or wears khakis during the summer.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The transmissions themselves are NOT traditional BUT the want and desire of the hot rodder to use the next, best part is traditional...................................

6. True hot rodder is always looking for the next best thing !!!! Cant imagine how many flatheads got tossed aside and ripped out of cars in favour of the new 60's big ohv V8s ...

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I love doing 70 mph in the fast lane in a 60 yr old vehicle with the tach at 2200:D

8. :cool:They where not around in “ the golden age of hot rods”.
    Rowing gears was.
    Wood remover have you priced a ford top loader or t10 lately :eek:
    T5’s and tremecs are cheap and plentiful easy to work with and adapt.

So traditional-ish is what I’m saying.

dylan60, Clay Belt, lumpy 63 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

like many upgrades(?) seen on rides here, OK to use - just don't flaunt it / boast about it - as for 5 speeds, there are shifters that would challenge most to know it is not connected to an original gear box

Oldb, Clay Belt and wood remover like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just trying to stir up shit? Just curious.
    It's been hashed over for years but we can eithe build a totally correct build with all the right parts and get a lot of atta boys for doing so and there is nothing wrong with that or we can build an 85% traditonal rig with a few hidden pieces that make driving it a lot smoother and encourage us to jump in and take of on much longer trips.
    I've got three Hamb friendly projects going on 2 have 5 speeds because they are being built to take long trips with. Meaning trips that rack up 6 to 10K in two or three weeks. the other one is being built a lot closer to what could have been built as "sporty" hot rod in the early/mid 30's but with the equipment it needed to drive on the street. That one should pass most any "trad" inspection. A 100 mile trip for it will be a long one though and it may see trailer time as it is going to be cramped for two people over distances. It has a grind your own gears trans.

Oldb, mcnally351, D-Russ and 6 others like this.
  11. Have you priced a 9 inch lately ??
    Toyota makes a better rear end and cheaper too..
    Electric posi , 35 spline axle, large bearing ,12 inch drum brakes, 9 inch ring gear but we dont flaunt it here .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Sorry to disappount you mr.48 ...
    Not trying to stir anything up, but keep seeing people swack about this and that being non traditional and other things that are blatenly non traditional .Fine you have a 5 speed in your build and dont flaunt it , but is that the same as my shifter is leaking in my t5 and what is the fix??? 2 pages of posts on how to fix , but no one saying ,hey this is non traditional .

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if everything posted here had to be 100% traditional this would be a lonely place.

14. I draw the line with using toyota rear axles, but that's just me. HRP

15. I'll stick to this philosophy, besides in the day if I could get the parts I can today I would have.......... 1 (15).jpg

Cosmo49, GeeRam, Dusty roads and 13 others like this.
  16. I'll bet you wouldn't know it
    IMG_1977.JPG
    If you tripped over it.

greasemonkey54 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Betting I would

Attached Files:

18. Oh and I dont post the build on here because it does have a Toyota rear end , and stering box .
    Other than that it is all pre 64 traditional .
    64 tempest 230 overhead cam 6 cylinder .
    53 front axle for the bendix brakes 1940
    15 inch 6 bolt artillery wheels

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

For the unknowing, what do they come out of ??

dan griffin and DrDragon like this.
  20. Sorry Carl , It's not for my approval or anyone elses , but it is for the Hamb approval.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you had to buy parts for that Toyota rear end, the 9 inch would be cheaper.

Rich S. likes this.
  22. Suprisingly enough rock auto had everything I needed for it , new drums , bearing seals , emergency brake hardware and cables
    Dirt cheap as well , well cheaper than my banjo rear end , come to think of it cheaper than my 9 inch too....

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan said a while ago that he "looks the other way" about 5 speed trans and air ride. so yes those things are ok. But posts about them should be in the hokey ass message board and not on the traditional hot rods section

24. I truly am fine with all of it . Love the hamb , love the upgrades .I am a car guy .I like all cars and styles ,I have seen some incredibly built rat rods and piss poor hot rods but the Hamb is what it is and I try to post accordingly ..
    Some here cry foul everytime something dorsnt meet their approval and then other times they dont ???
    Just curious why ???

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Roseville Carl : "A_F*****G-MEN"!!! X2 This picture has since been placed in several places & shops, so thanks for posting it here, as it sums up what many of us feel!!

mlake01, 427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I've said it before and I'll say it again. That poster or sticker or whatever it is is just plain ignorant, it shows a lack of character and a lack of class.
    It isn't funny in any way.
    By posting it and liking it you show exactly what you are lacking.

Hnstray and Steve Ray like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What he said. How about giving a little more info on these? Thanks

dan griffin likes this.
  28. "T5's and Tremecs", alternators, MII's, radial tires, LED lights, etc., are known, especially on this site as non-traditional, so the purpose of starting this thread must just be to start drama.
    Drama on the other hand is traditional, so ah..great post.
    By the way, how old are your tires?

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I ran a thread a while back about how expensive it had become to run a stick. I love em,but at some point I have to weigh out my return in investment.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. Me too! My 56 Crown needs a posi, I like cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.