Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 63 Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Is it possible to use a banjo fitting or other type on the Holley, to allow the stock air cleaner lid to fit without cutting it?

2. 62rebel

62rebel

Not really, it's right there on top of the front of the carb. I'm going to try putting a dimple in it first. Only needs a little more clearance as everything else clears.

3. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

I love the 63 1/2 fastbacks! I had one in 69-70, let it get away. It was 390 with "3 on the tree" and 3.50 gears. Here's my replacement; it's originally a 390/auto 500 XL. Still has the 390 block, with 406 heads, solid lifter cam, tri-power, dual point dizzy, shorty cast iron headers, etc., w/C6. It still needs a few things to be the way I want it to be, such as a dual master cyl, front discs and A/C. Right now I need to address an oil psig problem; bad pump? 24.jpg IMG_9650.JPG IMG_9652 (2).JPG IMG_9654 (3).JPG IMG_9655.JPG

4. philo426

philo426

Looks brand new

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That blue is sharp! Love it!!!!!

6. Eds_tls

Eds_tls

Looks great! What’s the wheel and tire sizes on that? I’ve got a 64 Monterey that needs wheels and tires. Your stance looks perfect

7. My first new car was a 63 Ford convertible, black, 390, 4-speed!

8. 62rebel

62rebel

Wife is starting to question my motives about the car, since it was supposed to replace my DD. Oh, well, it needs a little fiddle here and there.....

9. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

Thanks for the comments!!

The 5 spoke American's are 16", they were on it when I purchased it, 16" wouldn't have been my choice, I haven't justified the expense of going back to 15", yet. Front tires are 225/60R16 on 7" rims. In the pic's, the same size tires on the rear except on 8" rims, but since those pic's were taken I've put M&H 275/55R16 Drag Radials on the same 8" rear rims. I wasn't getting ANY traction with the 225's on the rear.

Other things I have yet to fix...……...drivers side vent window crank has quit, so off comes the door panel to fix that problem, which is normal on these old Galaxies. Gas gauge isn't working, backup lights aren't working, so now I have some wiring issues to chase. But its worth it!

10. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

Get a Dennis Carpenter Galaxie catalog. There is an article in the back that I wrote for the FGCoA how to repair the vent windows.

11. ............I remember when I was a kid in Tennessee seeing lots of guys put those round, color-keyed cushions on the package trays of their cars. Lots of two-toned '56 Fords and Chevys with them. I mentioned them on here one time and nobody had ever heard of them. They must have been a J.C. Whitney or Honest Charley thing or maybe they got 'em at Western Auto. I'm just glad that someone else remembers them. They were a big deal in the South.

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It was kinda of a status symbol and also show offy thing, back in the day...... there is only one reason you need pillows in the back seat of a young mans car......

Bones

62rebel, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  13. The 16" still look good, it's when you get into the 17" and larger that they start looking funky.

little red 50 likes this.
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Lol

Ford board room:

"Darn, Chevy added SS to the Impala line"
    "What's it stand for?"
    "Super Sport"
    "Wow, that's good. We need something. Any ideas?"
    "Hey Herb, your shirt's inside out."
    "Hmm. How about XL?"
    "Sounds good. Let's break for lunch."

16. 62rebel

62rebel

Sounds plausible

loudbang likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I thought XL meant extra long.......

loudbang and 62rebel like this.
  18. 62rebel

62rebel

Managed to find a duraspark harness at the picnpull today. One vehicle old enough out of the whole yard. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes

loudbang likes this.
  19. 62rebel

62rebel

Gotta love previous owners. Mainly because it's against the law to kill them! Dash wiring is a cluster @#&% almost beyond belief. Got it running but there's something wrong with the switch wiring because it will fire up and run while cranking but die when you let the switch return to the run position. I think the pink resistor wire is the problem.

loudbang likes this.
  20. 62rebel

62rebel

That pink wire goes to a dual connector that resembles something you might find on the titanic it's so corroded. No chance to prove my theory this evening but I have hopes.

loudbang likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I did away with the pink resistor wire and installed a mid 60's Mopar resistor on mine. It's a little easier to change out if it goes bad.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 62rebel

62rebel

I still have the ballast resistor that the previous owner put on in place, I could run a new wire to it and the coil easily enough.

loudbang likes this.
  23. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Great! 63 1/3 is my favorite 60's Ford. I had a black one in HS with a 289 3 speed, black/black cloth. Now I have a black w/ red interior, 390 auto. Just can't afford to put chrome reverse on it with larger tires, so it stays with what it came with.

wideglidejoe...check your distributor drive hole. Mine had low oil pressure when I bought it, turns out the drive rod rounds out the hole in the distributor drive. Found this out after replacing the pump, not a fun job while in the car. Also changed the motor mounts.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  24. 62rebel

62rebel

Finally worked out my ignition problem and got it running; replaced the crappy fuel tank, and tonight I got working lights. Little victories add up!!

25. CE4E9146-996C-4F22-A7AC-52250D331BAD.jpeg Like eating an elephant 1 bite at a time and it’s done
    Great car

loudbang and 62rebel like this.
  26. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Talking about having a BBF sound nasty, what's a good cam for a 390 4sp. with 406 heads.

27. gatz

gatz

beautiful car, Joe !

loudbang likes this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-5-7_4-47-10.png
    upload_2019-5-7_4-47-27.png

Hello,

Your Galaxie is one nice cruiser. A spiff here and there and it will be a cool ride for everyone’s taste. The Ford Galaxie will forever stay in my memories as an “almost got killed” scenario, while being carefree teenagers. I can still live to tell about it.

A year out of high school brought a lot of changes for most of us. We met new people from different schools and areas of Long Beach. A friend introduced us to his cousin that just bought a new 63 ½ Ford Galaxie with a 406 ci motor. It was black, had a big motor, was fast and looked so cool with all of the windows rolled down. When hanging out at the drive-in parking lots, and had all of the windows down on the Ford hardtop, it was very roomy inside. It was so roomy, that we could actually eat our hamburgers and fries inside of the rear seats, even with the trays.

So, a couple of big football players in the back seat had plenty of leg stretching room for the cruise up to Bixby Knolls, Oscars in Lakewood, Hody’s in Southeast Long Beach, and even up to Harvey’s. It certainly was a roomy, fast, street cruiser. So, with all of the bantering going on during those cruises, the topic of waterskiing was brought up.

That activity was something that I only saw at the Long Beach Marine Stadium while staring in awe. The teenage bravado conversation was that since I was a good surfer, I should be able to water ski on one ski. A six pack plus picking up the tab at the next drive-in was the wager. Accepting the challenge, I said I could do that once I got everything ready with my teenage mind set. They all laughed at the absurdity of that reply.

upload_2019-5-8_4-46-56.png
    Similar in looks to this 63 Galaxie

The 63 ½ Galaxie was so comfortable to cruise, even being in the back seat, that thoughts of upgrading my 58 Impala did cross my mind. Despite the 63 409 Bel Airs, this Galaxie just looked rather cool. It had tons of power, too. How about a new direction, with a Ford, not a Chevy, also, it had almost 400 hp from the factory. The Galaxie had a 4 speed, but could not order any A/C for some reason. We all heard rumors about a 427 version, but it was not around during this time period in So Cal dealers.

Jnaki

As comfortable as cruising around with all windows rolled down, we were not expecting an odd occurrence during one of our long water skiing trips to the Parker Dam in Arizona. Around 2 a.m. it was hot outside on the Interstate 10 and Highway 62 near Vidal Junction… (how could anyone forget a name like that?) All of the windows were rolled down with the swirling air coming in to cool us somewhat.

When a giant diesel truck of any kind, came whizzing by on the opposite side of the road, an odd thing happened to all of us. The air coming inside swirled at least 10x more powerful and pushed us back into the rear seat back. That was ok as it cooled us a little more. But, if two giant diesel trucks were coming towards us, the wind multiplied by a lot. A lot of swirling wind did something we were not prepared for… the hardtop sucked in and dropped down a little, with a clunking sound. We were stunned and pushed it back up instantly, laughing at that incident.

When it happened again near Vidal Junction, we were prepared with our feet up, holding the roof in place. We had never heard of such an incident, but were confused it actually took place. Being teenagers, we all laughed, had a great time at the Parker Dam River Scene for the week long water ski trip.

If anyone cares, I did stand up on the first try from shore on a single ski, until the Ford owner realized I was succeeding, so he jammed the throttle and yanked me face first into the water, with laughs all around. Later on, he was still steaming at losing, took me around a turnabout move near the Parker Dam and sent me within inches of several tree branches sticking out into my circular path. Luckily, I purposely dropped the handle, rope line and sank like a stone, just a foot or two away from a sharp tree branch poke…of course, to a ton of laughter coming from the Howard, Ford Powered inboard boat. But, I did win the bet.
    "First try from shore on a single ski..."

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  29. 62rebel

62rebel

Talk about something in the water....

30. 62rebel

62rebel

Cleaned and rebuilt the 2100 autolite carb today and it made all the difference. Runs like a top. I'm amazed that I could even start the car, as much gunk as there was in that carb, and all the passages filled with gelled fuel.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.