Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got 5 year old tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ford blue blood, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Need to replace them asap. Been putting off replacing mine, perfect tread, pressure holds well over the years. Did my "spring time" check up, declared everything ready to go. Get the old tires replaced next week. OOPS.....

Attached Files:

AHotRod, Jeff Norwell and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That just plain sucks, but it's exactly what I was afraid was about to happen, and prompted me to replace the tires on both my hot rods last year.

OLSKOOL57 and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I have a friend that had a similar deal, only the rear. Practically tore off the fender not to mention the panic stop in traffic on the interstate. Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Who made the tire? HRP

I replaced the 30 year old Michelin radials tires on my old beater last year, they still looked great but with all the threads of bad tires kept poping up on the Hamb I realized they were that old and I had never replaced them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019

5. I know that this has been hashed over before, but shouldn't tires be able to be made to last longer than that? In the past I've run tires (radials) that were more than 10 years old without any problem. Certainly we see a lot less high temp days where I live, but I think there must be a way to make a tire last longer than that.

6. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Wait... 5 years? Is that really the longest you're supposed to go?

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What's not clear in this thread is how old the tires are since manufacture, only how long they were on his car. Sometimes tires can sit in the storage rack, either at factory, distributor, or at the retailer for quite awhile. Pays to look at the date code before you agree to have them mounted on your car. There was 5-6 years difference in the tires man. date on the set on my '40 when I bought it.

8. Michelin claims there tires will last 10 years, but should be checked regularly. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My car trailer sits most of the time. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed the tires were cracking. You'd think that something that sits most of the time would be "tougher". My Delivery has't been out of the garage in almost 3 years; can't get it insured due to an accident my wife had, and our insurer of 16 years cancelled us. Who can afford to just keep replacing tires at this rate? I'd like to know the brand of tire, and it's country of origin. Used to never see this sort of thing. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

going over the shoebox; that's a major "to-do" for me. firestone wide whites about 10 years old!

11. My buddy bought a set of Cooper Cobras for his 61 Pontiac. 5 years in, 2 tires [radials] separated while on an interstate trip in 90 degree heat. Has about 1200 miles on them. He won't buy another set of Coopers.

12. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Tire are Firestones, looked up the invoice for them, would have been 10 years on the car in June.

Hnstray, Dave Mc and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. That sucks!
    But it look like the damage is not to severe and your on The H.A.M.B typing so not worse for ware either and that’s most important!!

Very happy your ok !

Up here a tire seller cannot mount a tire that’s more then 3 years past it’s date of manufacture.

5 years is the “life span” of new tires but most manufacturers say inspection after the five years is important.
    I am a big supporter of name brand tires and having newer tires installed on all my stuff.
    5 years for a failure like this does seem premature with a name brand ( Firestone) tire.

14. oldolds

oldolds

Most tires have the date code printed right on them. They have a DOT number then an indentation with numbers in it. First 2 are the week of the year second 2 are the year. I am sure it will come up with a quick search.
    If you get a low speed wiggle feeling it is usually a bad tire. This wiggle usually shows up long before you can see a bad tire, and usually long before it comes apart. But sometimes it just comes apart!
    [​IMG]

i.rant, Elcohaulic, OLSKOOL57 and 7 others like this.
  15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

This is why I stay away from the tires in the for sale forum, quite a few say used only for mock up but don't say how long those tires sat around.

dirty old man likes this.
  16. I got about 200 miles on tires from the 80's on my truck before the tread started to separate. :)

Special Ed likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Did the wheel come off?

18. Need replacements for the BFG sport truck series tires.

Fordor Ron and H380 like this.
  19. Jeez, another 'my tires are too old and the sky is falling' thread...

Do tires fail? Without a doubt. Can it be caused just by age? The NHTSA couldn't find any definitive proof, and they looked. The heat a tire sees will age them, and the recommendation that came out of the testing was six years maximum, but keep in mind they tested in Phoenix Arizona, the major metropolitan area in the US with the highest average daily temps.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/older-vintage-tires-are-they-good-enough.1071175/

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I guess I got lucky. The BFG's on my Lincoln went flat over the winter, close inspection revealed cracked sidewalls. These tires are a little over 10 years old and this is the second vehicle I've had them on. They are almost always under the carport when not being driven, so direct sunlight wasn't the problem. They have maybe 10,000 miles on them at most and the tread still looks new. I was expecting them to fail though, as they are 10 years old, so I figured on replacing them before I start driving the car again. Want bigger next time anyway.

21. primed34

primed34

I replace at seven years. Not my car, but I've seen what can happen with older radial tires on long drives in the summer.

22. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Just bought 4 new tires for my 40 coupe. The fronts on it were made in 2005 and the rears were 2011. They were barely worn ,but I have had an overage radial tire separate on a daily and it destroyed the front fender and scared the crap out of me. Went to the local Discount Tire store and ordered 4 tires . They came in and I went to have them installed . They were busy so I looked at the tires I had ordered and the 2 for the front were over 4 years old and I refused them. They ordered 2 more and they were 4 years old as well . I wonder if I didn't know how to read the date code whether they would have installed them anyway. When you walk in their, store there are 4 signs that tell you to replace tires if 6 years old. They knew what the tires were for and the only reason I was replacing them was their age. Oh well Rant over.

AHotRod, czuch, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

jimgoetz likes this.
  24. ... I quit running radials on my hot rod last year and went back to biased ply ... They might get hard before I wear em out ... but they won't come apart like radials do ...

Uribe, RDR, Paul and 3 others like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your tires are "aging out", you are not driving enough.

26. 62rebel

62rebel

Think that is bad? RV tires time out with tits still on the tread. OTR tires are the opposite. They get destroyed in weeks depending upon the driver. I've written off fourteen thousand dollars worth in a week.

27. That's not all the data collected. I used to have a link to the full report, but it's gone dead. That report had the above-linked study, but also included the test results from studies done by Ford, Goodyear, and Firestone IIRC. It additionally included a state-by-state review of accident reports involving tire issues. A few points in the full report...

1. The NHTSA review of accident reports was unable to find even one documentable case of an accident being caused solely by an aged tire. Main causes of tire failures were #1 road hazards and the close #2, underinflation. Overloads came in #3.
    2. The NHTSA tested used take-off tires with generally unknown history, selecting strictly by age.
    3. Heat is the biggest factor in how fast a tire 'ages'. Live in a hot climate, your tires will age quicker. Cooler climate, they'll age slower... a lot slower.

Bottom line? This study was ordered by Congress, and they expected an answer. With some reluctance, the NHTSA gave one, the six year 'recommendation' that's commonly used. But it wasn't universally adopted; some tire manufacturers went with that, some went with longer times (as much as ten years), some haven't put any expiration date at all on their tires. Who do you believe?

28. 6sally6

6sally6

Wonder IF.... Armor-all (or equivalent) would extend the life?
    YouTube has all kinds of "magic" on their site about "make belts last "forever..................and other stuff"
    Jus wonder'in out loud?!
    6sally6

29. 62rebel

62rebel

I actually believe tire shine products degrade the compound. Just my opinion but I won't use it.

Texas57, Hnstray, mrhp and 4 others like this.
  30. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'd be just as concerned about the fact the paint came off so easy, not looking good for the rest of the paint.