Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford steering box removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolbeans, Feb 26, 2019.

1. koolbeans

koolbeans

Have a need to remove steering box and column from a 32 Ford with body and motor still on and in frame.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Undo wiring from the bottom of box by unclipping bail. Remove large nut holding pitman arm and pull arm off with U puller. Unhook wiring from column drop under dash. Unbolt column drop from dash (may need to pry protector flange back on bottom lip of dash). Remove last three bolts from box to frame. Twist assembly clockwise and downward, and sector will come out of frame hole. Pull assembly into the passenger compartment.

Stogy, jimgoetz and harpo1313 like this.
  3. What Alchemy said. It's a PITA

jimgoetz and Stogy like this.
  4. koolbeans

koolbeans

Thank you. Precise, concise. First time to ever see this written and to the point of question. Now, the biggun...can this be done with the motor and left side exhaust manifold still in place?
    Appreciate you opin.

Stogy and DDDenny like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I don't know. It's worth a try.

Stogy likes this.
  6. It is difficult to tell where a project like this is going to go. If you end up pulling the steering wheel be sure you don't bend the horn rod or it will never be the same again. Any chance you haven't installed the top yet? I am sure glad I have a roadster.

Charlie Stephens

jimgoetz likes this.
  7. town sedan

town sedan

Looking at my '32 project, the driver's side header doesn't fit very well with the chassis. The plan is to pull the header, but leave the engine, a '50 Mercury, in place when the original steering box comes out for replacement. After that I'll see what I can do with different headers, or manifolds, to clear the new box.
    To add to what Charlie said above, don't use a conventional puller to remove the steering wheel. When I get to that point I know at least one person who has the correct puller to remove the '32 wheel.
    -Dave

8. alchemy

alchemy

It will be much easier to remove the assembly whole with the steering wheel in place. Removing the horn rod is really hard. I could barely do it in my sedan (longer cockpit) and I had to bend the rod a bit doing it. I can imagine a five-window is much worse.

On my sedan I have headers and I had to remove it. Maybe a stock manifold will allow steering removal.

Stogy likes this.
  9. koolbeans

koolbeans

Thanks. Going to tackle tomorrow.

Stogy likes this.
  10. koolbeans

koolbeans

40 roger on that!!

Stogy likes this.
  11. It was less hassle to remove the exhaust manifold and let the pipe drop down....

Stogy likes this.
  12. Andy

Andy

Pull the floor boards and also wrap the column in cardboard. The box tends to scratch it. I forget if one or both pedals need to be freed up so they could be tiled back our of the way. I use a bearing separator and two jaw puller to remove the wheel. Put a rag under the wheel. I never damaged anything.
    I have pics of the lip seal I installed without cutting the box. It never leaked a drop again.

Stogy likes this.
  13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I rolled down the rear window on my 5 window and took the horn rod out that way. Yes there is a slight bend but straightened it easily going back in.

Stogy likes this.
  14. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I like your idea on pulling the steering wheel. Similar to what I've done.

Stogy likes this.
  15. rusty valley

rusty valley

what lip seal without cutting?

16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I think he means the sector housing where it bolts to the frame.Ford used a cork seal originally.Over time they will leak.A lip seal can be used BUT the end of the housing has to be machined to accept the seal.I have one done by a buddy and not switched out.I can post a pic to clarify if you want.

17. Andy

Andy

I used a 1 3/8 x 1 1/8 x 1/8 seal. I put J B Weld in the cavity and machined that. I did not have to cut metal.

18. koolbeans

koolbeans

Well, we did it....me and the gang from the epicenter of Model A's...but traveled a different path...
    End game was to get the body off and on to the highboy new chassis.
    Couldn't get steering wheel off...(almost sacrificed it....but no).
    So out with floorboards.
    Then remove steering box bolts in frame, to allow column/steering wheel to rotate down towards interior floor and remove steering drop bolts behind the dash. (Did have to bend bolt shield towards firewall to get to the two bolts connecting column drop to bottom of dash).
    At this juncture, as alchemy offered, to get the horn/light switch tube out of column, remove spring bale at bottom of steering box and protective cap. If you use a mirror and flashlight, looking at the protruding end out the bottom, you will see a circlip.
    Push the projecting tube/rod back up into the column, it's spring loaded, and the circlip will drop out along with a spring tensioner and cup. Don't loose this stuff.
    Now, in my case, steering wheel refusing to come off, above said and done, the column can be walked down lowering it to a point where the horn/light switch tube could be pulled out and taken out the back window.
    We then, with all the bolts and stuff releasing the body from frame, made a simple crossover for each leg of the rotary lift, ratchet straps down to body and eased the body up with the lift, while rolling the chassis and allowing the steering wheel and column to go out under dash and through the floor/firewall opening.
    Whew...it worked.
    Lot of thanks to the seasoned experts for their wisdom.
    Keep in mind too, this is all genie Henry stuff running chassis, fenders, bumpers, hood are available. Good stuff. IMG_20190302_152345506.jpeg IMG_20190302_152337634.jpeg IMG_20190302_152504352.jpeg IMG_20190307_080040272.jpeg FB_IMG_1551915368900.jpeg IMG_20190307_093440406.jpeg FB_IMG_1551915144362.jpeg

Fiftee3, clem and Stogy like this.
  19. Andy

Andy

It is a little scary to lift from the bottom of the firewall. The firewall is only attached to the body at the top center at the hood hinge fitting. It could have tilted out.

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

geeze, i hate when i see guys fuckin up a car that good

Andy likes this.
  21. koolbeans

koolbeans

Absolutely correct and ordinarily true. But bear with this body/product I started with.
    This body is essentially perfect. Firewall and seal perfect.
    And, I have treated this like an archeological dig.
    So I drilled three per side 10-32 holes in the cowl rain gutter and sinched the fire wall to the cowl/body with stainless 10-32 Phillips bolts.
    Now....perfecto and safe to lift.
    Side note...very surprised at how light the body is with trunk lid, glass, doors, interior....we didn't....but four guys could have easily lifted. Used the lift so we could stop and think out what's next and to test fit on highboy frame. IMG_20190302_145812826.jpeg IMG_20190302_145821091.jpeg

22. koolbeans

koolbeans

Having made a detailed plan/goal, done the "anal" accounting, preserved all Henry parts, body 9 on a 10, paint is 7 on a 10, interior 9.5 on a 10, built to be driven, left over rolling/running chassis, all excess to good homes... and a 6 month build. I'm three years plus project time to the good, $200k+ to the good if hired out....and I am on target, and at 75, God willing and the Creek don't rise, I'll be looking at the highways and by-ways pretty soon. IMG_20190307_145437569.jpeg IMG_20190307_142115632.jpeg IMG_20190307_141405000_HDR.jpeg

Fiftee3 and clem like this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

Are you going to use the steamroller 50-series tires?

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wide tires are going to be hard on the steering when parking.We made the mistake of putting these steam roller tires on a coupe many many years ago and it started to crack the frame near the steering box . They were just too wide and grippy and low with no flex .The only thing that just doesn’t seem to jell with whole super cool image ,just my 2c.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    clem likes this.
  25. koolbeans

koolbeans

What ya see..195-15x65r front, 235- 16x65r rears....at least for now.
    Target soft ride and serviceability in timbucktoo.
    Wanted ribs and dirts but the dentist wins on that one...

26. alchemy

alchemy

You're building an Ardun powered straight axle early Ford and you are worried about getting service at a local tire shop? Don't let that be an excuse.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  27. koolbeans

koolbeans

Damn, can't slip nuthin by you....

28. clem

clem

I did the same on my coupe, only because I didn’t know how they were supposed to be fitted. I believe it will add to the overall strength and rigidity of the body.

29. clem

clem

EB53D3E0-8385-4BFD-A339-39568B7316D8.jpeg

This has to be one of the coolest photos I’ve seen recently !

Fiftee3 likes this.
  30. koolbeans

koolbeans

The four guys from the local AACA Model A club have to be the nicest guys on the planet. Considerate to understand and appreciate my timeline and goal as well as the intent of preservation. True pleasure having them participate.

Fiftee3 and clem like this.