Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG 2019 Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Nov 22, 2018.

1. It looks like they are working out details. Check out their website. Drag racing 1/8th mile on pavement by the beach. OHV are in. Woo Hoo!
    https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

^agreed regreatbly I can't attend either

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. March 8th and 9th. So many choices. Hotels rooms are ridiculously priced at about 250 a night. I won't pay that.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad ol' Jerry Gaskill isn't still around, he was one of the originators there.

HEMI32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That’s usually match meet time.....hmmmm. I might miss for this!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LBCD and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, that is some kind of pull with city hall. What a location, right on the prime beachfront highway/street in Santa Barbara. We were there over this Thanksgiving, walking on that same stretch of roadway/sidewalk. (It is just a short stroll from Stearn’s Wharf Pier.) It is a long straight-away (about a half mile long) with no one to bother except for some fish, anchored boats, and the general public that flocks to that section every day and weekend.

upload_2018-11-24_3-43-48.png
    This week, the beach/boardwalk was relatively empty. So, were the restaurants and attractions. (Last year, the main street in downtown was packed during dinner time as it normally is, but empty this year.) Maybe the So Cal fires and possible road delays hampered normal travel. We went a little farther north than the expected fire delay areas, just to make sure we did not have a traffic slowdown. Plus, going to Ojai was a good resting stop prior to arriving in Santa Barbara.

Since the Hilton Hotel chain has their giant complex spread out over this whole block to block section on the beach, closing off that stretch of road, beach, city sidewalk, etc. shouldn’t bother the local “naturalists” by any means. Whoa! What??? 660 ft of race course/city block?
    upload_2018-11-24_3-44-10.png
    There is approximately a 1/2 mile overall of the Hilton/city street property line gives a short shut down area, but it can be done. It is a definite challenge for sure. Local activists not withstanding…

Jnaki

Santa Barbara is a pretty neat place. It has been a “go to” place for us since 1960s and continues annually in November. After a long sling down Freeway 101 from up north, this is a great place to stop and rest before rolling down the coast to Southern Orange County. It is a nice place as a destination from the hectic LA metropolitan area. It is a different environment for sure. There are tons of places to stay, eat, and have fun. Even for the little kiddies, there is a fun zoo, just down the street, near the beach.

After arriving a day before Thanksgiving, we took an 81 mile road trip through some old familiar roads, to places we had history through the Santa Ynez Valley. One of the highest peaks around in the San Marcos Pass, to the lower valley areas near Lake Cachuma, nearby Solvang, and a straight freeway speed run down the coast, back to Goleta.

P.S.
    Sorry to say, that the coastal drive down the Highway 1 through Malibu was disheartening. The late fall, fairly green countryside and hills were absolutely black and burned out. It is a miracle that some homes were left standing and some were gone. The power is still out in North Malibu and the repair companies are still working feverishly to get things back to normal.

In some famous surf spots had fire coming right down to the water. Others were left untouched. The same thing with homes, the Paradise Cove Pier area and Zuma Beach. TO KEEP THINGS POSITIVE: The Coastal water was still crystal blue and beautiful. That gave a ray of hope for the whole eerie scene.

The way it was: Even the "lookout point" was burned out and now used as a staging area for the repair workers.

7. 13clicks

13clicks

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, location being in the middle of tourist land on the street will make this a very unique experience for all 20181219_140458.jpg

LBCD and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. I really would like to do this but I'm betting they ain't gonna let a 1958 371 Olds with Muncie 4 speed in it. Would be fun to go and watch I guess.

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks like pre 1955 engines..
    I'm out too with the '55 in mine..
    'spose I could put together an earlier block

curbspeed likes this.
  11. I bet you could in time knowing you. How ya been pal? Most of these new shows have such a high threshold to participate that it makes it impossible to conform to the rules. Paul, pm me your phone number and we will catch up soon. Dale

12. :D:Dthat might take you all of a couple hours:rolleyes:given the amount of ready to run engines setting on your floor Paul. Love to see you take something down there.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Thanks so much for ALL the info. Bill Rinaldi

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I hope this works out well for everyone, can't begin to think of all the work that has been done up to this point. Bob

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B,
    We have been coming to Santa Barbara since the late 1959 era and through the turbulent 60s. Part of our extended family still lives in this whole region, starting in Carpenteria and up to Goleta. Please check your other thread on TROG 2019. There is some different information on it.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/any-date-for-t-r-o-g-west-2019.1136678/#post-12919491

The main drag through the center of town still looks like it did back in those early days. The city is changing, but they re-purpose a lot of old buildings with up to date codes and it becomes fashionable.

For out of state people, (EVEN WEST COAST FOLK) this is one of the nicest areas in all of Southern California. (despite the fires, mudslides, and traffic.) There is great surf, outstanding mountain drives and scenery, close to LA if needed, and that drive down the coast through Malibu is very exciting.
    upload_2019-1-24_5-15-43.png Marine Biology Bldg Campus Point

There is one of the coolest universities, UCSB, right on the ocean, a private one, inland and still one of the only city piers, anywhere, that anyone can still drive out over the waters of the bay. (parking is sketchy as the big SUVS don't leave much room for anyone...street parking and harbor parking spots are much better)

Have fun if you come out here in a couple of months. For this big event, reservations are a must.

Jnaki

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    The37Kid, Chucky and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Room prices yes,,,,,,,to high. Plus spectator prices. 40 and 60 bucks? I guess i am out. Off to Famosa that weekend for the March meet.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, I got my tickets (w/ pit pass), and room reservation. I'll be staying in north Carpinteria, about a 15 minute drive south of the event. Heading up some time tomorrow.

Who else is going?

19. LBCD

LBCD

Richard, we will be heading up early Saturday morning and staying Saturday night...see you there!

Blues4U likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The cars that are going to show up look amazing. I’m looking forward to seeing some later era car tear it up!

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Let's hook up. Are you taking the 41? I think I'm just gonna take the daily driver.

22. LBCD

LBCD

Probably not taking my car, 5 of us are going up so taking my friends vehicle. Yes we will hook up, we are staying at the Hilton.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Kenny P

Kenny P

Anyone know if there is a live feed anywhere in computer land for the races today?

24. The Rodders Journal Facebook page is supposed to have live coverage.

25. Kenny P

Kenny P

Great, Thanks Ric!

26. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Got a pic with the Custom King last night! Heading back up this morning for some racing.[​IMG]

rpm56, Jalopy Joker and LBCD like this.
  27. LBCD

LBCD

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jnaki, 31hotrodguy, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  28. Is that photo from Cabrillo Blvd? OMG. We go to Santa Barbara every year and I just left! What did I miss?? We love the Santa Barbara Inn.
    Also love the new Finnerys on State St. great burgers and ipa’s!!!

LBCD likes this.
  29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Awesome picture!!!

LBCD and Jalopy Joker like this.