Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs It ain’t easy being green...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Maybe you should ask the previous owner how you should paint it. :D

loudbang likes this.
  2. Also, I hate to be a dick but sometimes rather than trying to be witty or funny with thread titles putting the actual information you are looking for in them will bring out more knowledgeable posters on the particular subject.

clem likes this.
  3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Hey Brian check this out at your paint store its a very pale green mist from a early to mid 60s GM Palmentto Green I have seen it on 64 or 65 GTO's Joe

3303, H, WA3303 Palmentto Green Metallic

loudbang likes this.
  4. 40A2F9D8-49AC-431B-8A26-F3BA32479B6A.jpeg 57 chevy sea foam green, maybe too green? Almost every pic online looks different tho.

mr57 likes this.
  5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

O.K. here's a picture of the color hope this helps. Joe DSC03997.JPG

34toddster, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Google "Bohai Bay Mint" or go to a Ford dealer to see it on a Fiesta. Might get you pretty close.

loudbang likes this.
  7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Everybody’s a comedian.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I’ve gotten what seems to be good info. I know enough to be able separate the chaff...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

millersgarage and loudbang like this.
  9. My point is guys who could probably tell you what Oz did on that car haven't chimed in even though they have been on the board and almost always give advise on paint threads when they know they are paint threads.

10. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

loudbang likes this.
  11. Search "mint green" and "sea mist green" for some ideas.
    This is an O/T 2-tone I had once upon a time. I picked it out of the paint chip rolodex at the bodyshop/painter. It's hard to see but the accent crease is black with a touch of rainbow mini flake. The crease lines up with the hood/fender gap.

MVC-039S.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  12. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

roadster 001.jpg Here's a dark emerald green we put on pop's roadster.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  13. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Larry.jpg Glen Green, Voodoo Larry's The Voodoo Hawaiian , its green....it's blue, minty fresh

14. Maybe close......my factory Studie colors... that manufacturers use up the of the Olive Drab of WWII and the Korean war.... 1956 stude truck green.jpg

15. redo32

redo32

I always liked Walt Kaline's T bucket on the cover of Hot Rod July 1963. So I walked down to the garage library and looked up the article hoping it described the paint color that would be easy to match. Yep, it said "exotic green pearl lacquer. "
    [​IMG]

catdad49 and Just Gary like this.
  16. pitman

pitman

Used pearl once, you do want consistant spray pressure, extraordinarily clean system, NO errant particles! Then, when applying tint candy color, simply best lighting, and your spray 'arm' calibrated!!!
    Imagine one, ahem, one, blotch, right where every admiring eye can spot it! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like that, a lot, and it's for sure in my skill-set to shoot. ;-)

loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, good evening. To fill in the comedian roll I'll remind ya that it's better 'pet the sweaty' than to 'sweat the petty'.

Ok, pearls. They can be as easy or difficult as the trigger bitch makes it. Best advice I can give you on pearl is that less is usually more. No, not being a dick, too much pearl will kill reflections and look muddy. Usually 2 coats are a bare minimum, 3 almost always pefect, 4 on some light colors ( like a pale opaque green ;) ) Start with a real pastel green in the shade you want, shade meaning green to blue values. HOK dry green pearl might be just the ticket. In order to get it to sparkle it has to "float" on the surface of the base color. You can get this easy by using clear basecoat vs finish grade urethane clear for the mid coat. If you want to get tricky and get it to float more lay a base of urethane clear down 1st, then do your pearl coats, then finish with the final clear. Yes, that's double work but it looks like work doesn't scare you so I threw that in. The base 'thane clear under the pearl will have to dry and be sanded before the basecoat clear with pearl is applied. More important than all of this? Test panels. Test panels. Test panels. Are they a good idea? Yeah, they are. Make at least a 1/2 dozen curved panels, curved so you can see how it 'flips' in sunlight on the sinuous lines of that 'bird. If you're after something more "frosty" then something with a fine poly/metallic might be a better start and then pearl over that. The finer the better because most dry pearls are a bigger and more reflective element than simple poly, plus you're not looking for ultimate coverage with the pearl. You want to make the light dance on the surface. I'd still favor an opaque base but it's not my car. At the beginning I said pearl can be easy, and it can be. You don't have to be nearly robotic when applying, and in fact a little extra on places you want to highlight never hurts, but like booze, politics and religion it's best in moderation (!) so " some's good, more's better" only partially applies there. I hope some of this makes sense, so on to color.

Mint and frosty go together like mint and rum in a Mojito. My mind's eye surely varies from yours, and in fact not everyone sees color the same. To me the 1st thing that came to mind was something leading from the Hirohata but with pearl applied rich enough to stand out. I don't see any blue when I think mint. The fact is I favor green for my 1st go-to color when I "build" in my head. If you can keep it simple then the dreaded repair scenario is nothing to fear so simple is always good too. I'd start with varing shades of pastel green then put different pearl apps over it. You can try a dry blue pearl but you risk moving teal or turquoise. In that sense, and since it's not that expensive, look to the blue and green dry pearls and mix them. Yeah, let's talk about that mix. Believe it or not a small jar of dry pearl can be used on as many as 3-4 whole cars. How much to add to the mid coat, about an even "ball" on the end of a tongue depressor stick, and about 2-3 of those to a ready-to-spray qt. in order to mix 2 different dry pearls just add one then the other, stir it up and serve it to your, wait for it, here it comes...TEST PANEL. Don't panic when the clear basecoat goes a bit flat after the pearl's applied. It's still gonna pop like a honeymoon bon...uh, well forget it, it's gonna pop. If you have specific worries just spill it. No, not the paint, words, here. Speak up. I'll be glad to help any way I can. I don't think there's a better choice for that one bud, and you KNOW you have to share the whole experience with your HAMB brethren right? Have fun, and go for it.

brad2v, pitman, Frankie47 and 4 others like this.
  19. dan31

dan31

Man, that truck is beautiful . Paint color is perfect.

loudbang likes this.
  20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Ì have a rule when I do cars, no pearls and no candys.
    Well the last car of three I did for a customer turned friend was for hìs youngest son. Now young son was a spoiled brat at 35, I had looked at the car and agreed to do the bodywork witch was substantial. Young son went to Back To The 50s and the House of Kolor booth, great he picked out candy brandy wine and white pearl, and he shows me a picture of a 55 Bellaire from an old magazine. Great I'm building a fricking dream car with dads money.
    I painted in the shop not in a spray booth just because I had so much experience painting in that location I just knew what to expect. The only contamination I had in the paint was the biggest damn fly in the middle of the roof I'd ever seen. It was the last coat of clear on the white pearl so in the morning after the clear kicked it was four black specks in the clear in the middle of the roof.
    The pearl in the brandy wine came out without a flaw and looks great in the sun.
    I think spraying light colored pearls suck, but if your painting cars regularly the way you should with proper techniques spraying pearls isnt much diferant.
    So if that's what you want go for it.....

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Although I don't care for greens, one called Seafoam Green{pearl} was the best I've ever seen,and used it on two cars.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_2210.JPG photo (1) Copy (22) (Small).jpg Thanks a TON! You've reinforced how I thought it ought to be done, I can forge ahead (as soon as it warms up a bit, and for sure I'll post up the process! When I've shot candy I did a clear over the base, sanded that, then laid the candy down on the flattened clear, then cleared that. The results were perfect, so I'm not afraid of the extra step. Particularly since this has been such a long term project. What's another day's worth of work, right? As soon as I get my son's wagon done, the T'bird will get some frosting! I'm getting excited about getting this car off it's jack stands and back on wheels!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    brad2v, OahuEli, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

mint.jpg 2019 Ford Bohai Bay Mint Green

24. My old Green Merc .
    [​IMG]

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

71 MoPar Sublime. If it's gotta be green, at least make it glow instead of looking like baby puke.:eek::rolleyes::D

26. The guy I got this wagon from said the paint was 70s AMC colors. Light green was solid color and dark was metallic with some pearl in it. 55wagon2.jpg

loudbang, Just Gary and dan31 like this.
  27. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

1955 Chevy Sea Mist green 1011chp_03_o+1955_chevrolet_nomad+front.jpg

pitman and Just Gary like this.
  28. deuceman32

deuceman32

My favorite green is a 1961 Gm metallic:
    [​IMG]
    Pontiac called it Jadestone Green,
    Chevrolet called it Arbor Green,
    Buick called it Dublin Green,
    Oldsmobile called it Tropic Mist.
    All four names are the same formula: Fisher code WA2812, PPG/Ditzler code 42837.
    [​IMG]