Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wht is the story with these roadster bodies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Feb 28, 2019.

1. I heard, occ went from over a hundred bikes a year to just twelve.......

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

"We've got seven days to build this $125,000.00 bike!" I'll never forget that Paul Sr. quote from the TV show. So 12 bikes took 3 months time to build and 9 months to try to market? :confused:

Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

Bob, we are in no way disagreeing. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My point was if you are only going to have a shop work on your car 5 hours a week, it is going to be a VERY long time before it is done. Of course, if you've one of those cars where a seat frame takes 100 hours then the completion date is=not in your lifetime.

The37Kid likes this.
  4. Very conservative for a shop build budget, close to minimum.
    Some places will not accept your project in the door at that 2000 a month level.

Sooooo the guy needs to wait and save up and then wait some more or pay up and drive
    Or do it himself. Some guys can do just about anything with next to nothing, and some can not pour piss out of a boot even if you tell them the instructions are on the bottom.
    I bet we all know folks like that

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have a neighbor like the latter; not being able to pour piss... wants to use my press to press together things that have way too much interference fit. Even on nice days, the garage doors are down.

6. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I guess that's why I spend less and less time at car shows these days in all honesty. The people who quoted my post earlier got a little bent out of shape, and I guess I did come across wrong. But here's my point, if you're going to build a car like a dropped axle, Ford 9 inch rear highboy, there are certain proportions that look pleasing to the eye. Now granted, only a few may notice, but no matter the car, stance and tire size and wheel choice make the biggest difference of any single part of the car. Cars like Phil Cools AMBR winner look great (to me and apparently to the AMBR judges) while someone can spend twice as much on trendy wheels and tires and fuck up the whole look of the car. Just my opinion, but I've always dreamed of my own '32 roadster and think simple and clean is a winning formula.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

I am taking an educated guess here but it looks like they are still sitting on 17 of these. I came up with that number because that is the maximum number you can order.

If these are the same ones from 2008 yet, man that is a long time to be sitting on inventory this big and expensive. Just think of just the storage cost and hopefully they had been kept inside.

If I ordered one, I would want to come and see it in person first before putting up that much but then the other investment side of me wants to call them and see if they will and what type of discount if you buy a few of them or even the whole lot and take them off their hands. :)

8. You're just 20 lug nuts away from perfection.

200% agree that Wheels and tire choice will make or break it. - however of all things automotive a wheel change is by far the easiest and choosing wheels&tires has zero to do with building a car. My mom can't build a car but she can pic out some bitching traditional flavored W&T combos. She can also spot magnesium wheels natural or polished from across the parking lot.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Zookeeper and nochop like this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Cars I have painted and owned for 5 years+, garaged and cared for...Five years takes its toll on paint.
    Wonder how 'fresh' the 10 year old red is on these gems.
    @fuzzface has a point...Old inventory bargaining chip?
    Then, consider its point of origin. South Africa. (??!?) Is there a Chinese version? Or India. Middle East would be viable, heck: Brookville did it right here!
    Seriously, how many are there? Anybody know?
    This market needs flooding.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. 5window

5window

It's starting to sound like those stories when I was a kid that you could buy a brand new Army surplus Harley packed in 50 gallon drums of Cosmolene for $50. If only you knew the friend of a friend who knew the guy who....

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There is a regular turn over of inventory and the sales are steady. I've looked at them several times (they have a demo at Speedway) and been tempted to write a check.

j3harleys likes this.
  12. X-cpe

X-cpe

AMT, Monogram

j3harleys and 2935ford like this.
  13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Do they look like a quality built item? Hard to believe they are moving them and not raised the price in 10 years.

14. alchemy

alchemy

I've seen them in person and they do look like a quality car. Some things I'd change for sure, but mostly just to personalize to my taste. If I had a chunk of change and wanted a hot rod roadster in a hurry I think it would make a great start.

15. 80 plus years after rolling off the assembly line there just might be a chance that the tolerance aren't quiet as tight as they once were.

I know my body tolerance is off a lot more than it was when I was born and I'm only 60.

32SEDAN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. brandon

brandon

I remember seeing the first one at the hot rodand and restoration show at Indy.... The from speedway said it was made for The guy that wants a new hot rod and could bolt it together over a weekend.... No waiting. I asked about the color choice and why no choice on tires and wheels and color ? But can't remember why or what the answer was

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Lots of different comments here. All of them have me thinking of what was happening in the 80’s and into the present.
    Several cars were brought up and all were /are stellar builds..... much money was thrown in to their builds as well as talent, one of those guys is a pretty famous chassis builder ;).
    So I recall when these “New Speedway Builds”were brought up in print media pertaining to this way of life we all enjoy. The consensus was a positive one.
    Many are quick to label these as kits, (Heck even Speedway does). I’m not real sure I’d refer to it as that as Revell, AMT, Lindbergh & Monogram Models are kits, which means assembly required. Installing an engine/trans/driveshaft is pretty minimalist at best in a car build which is great if you lack time/space.
    $49k is really a pretty good buy if one factors in what it “really takes to build” a car like this???? Imagine all of the labor - time saved by just having something like this to personalize. One really could make a build like this “theirs”. Imagine........

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I believe Speedy Bill(before he passed away) is one of and if not the largest land holders(buildings) in Lincoln Nebraska. So, yes. They would of been inside. This was Bills pet project. He was so excited about it and wanted to do it. I read that in his book. A big shot from one of the magazines bought one of the very fist ones. He had it on the road in no time. Bill said he drove it often.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 54reno

54reno

If I remember right Kenny Schrader also bought one. He had a long relationship w/Speedway.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Here lately, if I came up with $20 bucks extra in a month I went back and made sure I had paid all the bills and didn't skip something!

town sedan likes this.
  21. fuzzface

fuzzface

Seeing this thread got brought back up front I will add to what I found out since my last post and that is my educated guess of 17 is wrong. apparently that is a magical number for them because it doesn't matter if it is this kit or any of the other kits or bodies but the maximum number on them all is 17.

So back to the drawing board or should I say back to the garage.