Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Loss of a mentor of sorts....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1stGrumpy, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Yesterday, I lost my brother. He was 7 years older than me and it was one month shy of his 78th birthday. He was the one that got me interested in hot rods and customs, first with model cars and then with the real deal. He used to keep a little file box with those little 3 X 5 cards, one card for each car or pickup that had his eye at that moment, listing all the modifications he planned on doing. All followed the same theme, nosed and decked, lowered slightly in the front, louvered hood, dual glasspacks and so on. He maintained his little file up until he went into the Army in '58.

He was the one that taught me how to drive in his '53 Pontiac, straight 8 and 3 on the tree. He was the one that borrowed money from me and would repay me by giving me one of his cars. First it was a 1947 Chrysler Windsor with a flathead six and semi automatic Fluid Drive transmission. Second was a 1956 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop with a 265 and powerglide. He was the one that would buy me and my friends our beer on Friday nights, of course we had to pay for it and it usually cost us an extra quart of beer for him. He was the one that I looked up to. Life will be different now, I never knew a day that he wasn't around physically or somewhere in the back of my mind. He will be missed....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    drdave, charleyw, Thor1 and 27 others like this.
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sounds like a great guy. I'm sorry for your loss.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Sorry to hear this our prayers are with you and your family.

loudbang likes this.
  4. mopacltd

mopacltd

I can't imagine losing my brother! Sounds like your brother was your best friend also. Cherish the memories. I am so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Big Brother

loudbang likes this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry to hear that. :( May he rest in peace.

brady1929 likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The wanting to give him a call will never leave you, I feel for you.
    Take care

deucemac likes this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Very sorry for your loss, I have two brothers , both of em piss me off but life without either would suck. Do you still have the little file box?

9. belair

belair

Sorry for your loss, man.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have 3 brothers and thankfully they are still here.

11. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My condolences. I cant imagine losing my brother.

6inarow likes this.
  12. Sorry to hear you lost your brother.A special bond you'll always remember and sadly miss.

13. My condolences to you and your family. I know those words don't mean much right now. Hopefully soon, all the great memories will be more frequent than the sad ones.

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I also share in the others here and I am saddened by your loss, however, you have cherished memories that I don’t have with my older brother who also started me on my automotive career. While we have never lived too far from each other I rarely have seen or talked to him more than once or twice a year, he has missed all of my important events in my life and has made a lot of plans with me to cancel right before the event. Everything else was more important than his little brother. I accepted this many years ago and hold no bad feelings against him but reading your post made a lot of this come back and I felt you were lucky to have what I would have loved to have had. I already said a prayer for you before the send button was pressed. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6inarow likes this.
  15. mopacltd

mopacltd

Randy, that is a tough nut to swallow. May God bless you and hope you and your brother will reunite.

427 sleeper and 1stGrumpy like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss.

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

grumpy, its great that you at least have those memories.i would get another one of those file boxes , and when you think of those , write them down and put them in that box. so you have the good times for the future. randy, its funny, one thing that a lot of people have in common, very few people take enuff time with family. im guilty, im on the phone with my son a lot, but a lot of the time he wont answer. it is sad. I guess your going to have a sit down with your brother.and I with my son.

Thor1 likes this.
  18. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grumpy I'm so very sorry for the loss of your brother. Prayers for you and your family

19. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers... they mean a lot.

No I don't lumpy. I hadn't thought about it in years, I don't know what may of become of it.

Thank you Randy for your condolences and prayers.

I didn't mean to paint a picture that was all roses and sunshine, there was a lot of times when we wouldn't see each other or talk for extended periods of time, not out of anger or indifference but more out of our lives just going in different directions, being busy with work and family. But we shared the same blood, as do you with your brother and that's a bond that can never be broken.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  20. May he RIP. Sorry to hear.....

21. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

My condolences to you and your family. Kinda always wish I had a brother.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sorry man :/

1stGrumpy likes this.
  23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My Dad was my mentor and go too. My brother and I live in totally different worlds than my Dad and I. But, wouldn't want to loose him! His index cards would be so cool to have to remember him by if you had them.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  24. Grumpy so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you & your family. I know what it means to lose a family brother/sister or your mom or dad.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you @1stGrumpy and your family on such a very personal loss...of a Brother, Mentor and Fellow Hotrodder.

26. 6inarow

6inarow

Sorry to read this. Peace to you. I have 2 brothers and they sound like yours

27. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. I really don't know what you are feeling as I am an only child. I always wished for a brother or sister, but it wasn't to be. God bless and take care of you now and the future.

28. Sorry for your loss, prayers out to you and family.

29. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you will carry on little Brother, with all those memories in tow...filed safely away in your own index box. Peace to you. Art

30. Bummer to hear this, man. Cherish the good memories.