Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Most of the pro 4 door posts are from 4 door owners... haha

clem, 31hotrodguy and blowby like this.
  2. Yup! With three kids it’s more practical....Fuck....I’m old....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

I've gone full circle. I started out with two door hardtops and started doing four door cars when I had kids to carry around. Now that there's just the wife and I, two doors and seating for just two is fine. Now, if I come across a great deal on a more door, fine. But I dont need nor do I necessarily want the extra room.

4. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Not a big fan of 4 doors unless it is a wagon or a pre fat fendered car.
    I first saw Skip's '34 when I was a teenager in maybe Rod & Custom? Don't remember for sure but it was some magazine. Years later in the early 80's got to see it in person when I lived in NH and remembered it from the magazine. Still think it is one of the coolest '34's ever and has an even cooler history.

49823-1234718130-b5ee65f91e7bd2a90c3abf119bdba4d1.jpg

MO_JUNK, mr57, The37Kid and 4 others like this.
  5. Duck's Goat

Duck's Goat

I need a front sill plate for ours. Are yours any good and for sale by chance?

6. I don't need a title in New York and I would drive the wheels off that car.

I still have my old one that looks just like it but has enough rust for three cars. The frame is broken. THAT is a parts car.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. I have always like the 4 door cars or orphan cars. Bruce. 009.JPG

8. Heres another 1 owned. Bruce. Justin022.JPG

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn Bruce, all you need is a Smokey hat. "You in a heap o trouble boy!"

31hotrodguy likes this.
  10. I can get a bonded title. However that would cost $250. I only paid $275 for the car. Its unknown why the car was parked. At present the engine is locked . Possiblt Tomorrow I will bring it home. Then I will pull the plugs and fill the cyls with a 50-50 mix of acetone and auto trans fluid. I want to try to get it running to find out the condition of the engine & trans.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. Danny, I haven't posted to this thread yet, as I've never owned a 4 door. But after amost 14,000 views, and 340 post. I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth too.;) First to answer your question. No, I haven't changed my attitude on 4 doors. I've always liked them.:) But like most Rods and customs, there are the cool ones, and then some, not so cool. All my Hot Rods, except for our Nomad, have all started out, as a basket case. Either Coupes or a delivery. So considering the time, money, storing it, and knowing I'll probably be keeping it for life. I have to be in LOVE with it from the very start. But here's one I that really liked! :)Thanks Ron..... [​IMG]

12. $275? I would have paid twice that no questions asked as long as the frame is good. These cars if they saw salt the left frame rail would eventually disintegrate typically around the rear axle hump. Which is what happened to mine. Years ago when I could still find them in junkyards there were cars I could climb in the trunk and stand on the ground where a frame rail should be.

You have me wondering how much it would cost to get it up here, frankly. Engine or no engine.

Bearcat_V8 and low budget like this.
  13. Probably a $1 per mile. to ship.

14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

4 doors were parts cars till about a month ago. my family has deciced to do a sibling family vacation on rt 66. so we are going to fix up a 64 impala hardtop. room for 4 of us. build thread will follow in may when we get started. meanwhile here is the start. long way to go. IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1910.JPG $3000 budget. leaving in sept.

Sancho, 31hotrodguy, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im rootin for ya! wouldnt be a bad idea to go ahead and get started now tho....and be willing to expand your budget if necessary:)

31hotrodguy likes this.
  16. Mahty

Mahty

That’s awesome! I rode around in this same year and model that my G-Ma had.
    But, I still like my 2 doors......

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

started ordering parts. have most of brakes and suspension. have a parts car . also have wheels and tires and most exhaust. will be stock rebuild for most part. nothing fancy. keep it simple cheap paint job. we want it to be dependable and fun. 50 footer looking good going down road. very little bodywork and inside will be cheap carpet with homemade seat covers. i have a truck to finish by may then start this. should't take more than a month to pull apart clean paint and put back together. motor and transmission will be reman units. cheap and time savers.

s55mercury66, egads and low budget like this.
  18. jeffkau

jeffkau

This one was for sale in December. Now I need to build one just like it. Found a 30 four door locally. Waiting for the weather to get warmer to go get it. Can anyone help with the weather? Definitely my taste has changed in the last 30 years. 154540474505769977123001.png

patmanta and 1959Nomad like this.
  19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

looking forward to the 3K build!

20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Not one iota.....Still good cars for my father in law.....:)

Hombre likes this.
  21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

This design does not take anything away by being a 4 door. I first saw this vehicle at my first Street Rod Nationals meet back in the early 70's in Timonium, MD, then again about 10 or more years later at another Street Rod Nationals held in upper NY. Never meet the owner, but this vehicle exemplifies the term "hot rod" and that is pretty good for being a 4 door. I think that you are seeing more 4 doors being built is because of the cost of obtaining one and the scarcity and high cost associated with obtaining a fair condition two door (don't even talk about hard tops or convertibles).

31hotrodguy and bowie like this.
  22. F&J

F&J

I get what you mean about "fair condition", but these days where so many old timers are passing away or downsizing/moving, there are prewar and postwar convertibles available in "less than fair condition" at the price of a fair condition 4 door sedan..

I honestly don't know if it's people not wanting to do very major work, or is it the lack of determination, or fearing their lack of skills.... or is it the lack of "vision" these days?

I don't fault anyone who grabs a 4 door in fair/good condition for a starter car, or as a younger person, but I cannot understand grabbing a totally rotted 4 door these days if you really wish you had a convertible.

The37Kid likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lack of storage is another factor, yuppies don't want you to have anything in your yard other than landscaping., even if you have lived on the same street 60+ years before they arrived. . Bob

24. The case for 4 doors
    • they can be alot cheaper than a two door and in better condition (allows more people to play with old cars = good for the hobby)
    • good for rodders with kids
    • most HAMB era 4 doors are the same wheelbase as the 2 door version if you ever got crazy/converted one
    • 4 doors are not seen as much at the shows
    • slightly non conformist/controversial
    The case against 4 doors
    • some are ugly compared to the 2 doors
    • not worth as much when you are done
    • used to be in the 1970's = old geeze mobile /dad's car

25. RDR

RDR

Not just the 70's ....BUT ALWAYS old geezer mobile/ dads' car
    But there is NO WAY I'm going to talk my better half out of her '58 Biscayne 4 dr !!
    No worries tho'...Am an Old Geezer now....

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If money were no object, I would most certainly have any one of the above. The Airflow, IMHO, 'flows' better as a four door. The Packard is just classy, and the Ford looks like fun.

williebill and 31hotrodguy like this.
  27. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

28. Rather drive a 4 door Bel Air than a 2 door Civic.

MO54Frank, clunker, Dan Hay and 7 others like this.
  29. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

I have no problem with 4 doors

between both of my vehicles, I have 4 of them

clem and 31hotrodguy like this.