Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods South East Gassers / A/FX / Altered Wheelbase Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tpw35, Aug 9, 2018.

1. rudestude

rudestude

Some cool stuff going on here....I was going through the thread and saw a post with the red ,white, and blue Chevelle on a trailer...and I just happened to have a June 1966 Car Life magazine sitting on my desk that has that car on the cover....nothing more on it ..inside..but there is a good story on the creation of the Bill Thomas/race cars Exhibition kit car parts and they are building a 66 Chevy two nova for Nickey Chevrolet....its a article...not sure if it actually fits the criteria of this thread but there's some info that might help....sorry if I wasted anyone's space or time... 20190305_113001.jpeg 20190305_113349.jpeg 20190305_113426.jpeg 20190305_113451.jpeg 20190305_113517.jpeg 20190305_113537.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Good pics and a good read. The main thing to keep in mind for anyone wanting to enter, ask the powers that be about legality of parts before you buy. I've seen a few people buy some neat stuff only to find it not period correct. It' unbelievable how Quain sticks to period correctness. Ask before you spend.

3. Well said. And very true. Dale and Justin Wilson who are members have brought up the subject of Jericos being used. They run old Muncie, and Top loaders and feel that is far more period correct, which it is. Just saying. :)

Doctorterry and loudbang like this.
  4. My wife has an A833 Chrysler 4-speed in her gasser. She hasn't broken it "yet".

chryslerfan55, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Quain Stott seems to really have his finger on the pulse of what Old School Drag Racing should be and so far he has been 100% correct in what he is doing.
    If the NHRA is watching the shows the Southern Gasser's are putting on they must eating their hearts out right about now!
    I believe this is the type of drag racing fans really want to see more of.
    For me it sure brings back wonderful memories of watching many of the great match races back in the mid 60's
    I always kind of enjoyed the whole drag racing atmosphere before it became so professional and expensive.

About the only other thing I would love to see again is Modified Production and Junior Stock drag racing.
    These two classes were without question the most popular classes the NHRA ever had and when they dropped these classes it was never the same for me again.
    Jimbo

6. rudestude

rudestude

Just reading through this thread and under standing the period correct stuff ....I am all for that..because there are other classes and events that guy's can participate in ,that are not following the period correct thing ....and with the internet being so accessible and the amount of places to go for information on this subject and parts availability, I just can't see why guy's, young or old..er.. ,have a problem with knowing if something is period correct and goes with the criteria boundaries...I guess its probably a little easier for me because I have a very large collection of car magazines and alot of them being various drag racing publications covering the good years....the main thing I see with the very strong rules and push to be period correct is having the tracks available and time scheduling to be able to host a event of this type and possibly take away the chances for the other classes for more intry level classes to compete....with tracks being shut down more and more....more travel time...just a thought...the other being vintage parts available that are exceptible and class legal...because I assume that reproduction parts are not allowed...and being it's getting harder to find this old stuff and unless some of these guy's that have the parts hoarded away or hanging on there shop walls start letting loose of some of it.. it's only going to get harder to find....just saying.......

chryslerfan55, loudbang and jim snow like this.
  7. Reproduction parts are perfectly legal, as long as they look the part. You can have the most god awful engine that can be made to look period to most fans. Then all you have to do is hook it up with a small tire. It's all in how you use them and how they are seen by the fans. It's all You would be surprised how many fans contact Quain after a rece to tell him about so & so has this and so & so has that and not period correct. SEGA has some of the most knowledgeable fans around. I broke in qualifying and watched from the stands. It was truly amazing how much they knew on everything from the clutches we use to the head rules.
    As far as tracks go, I've raced at so many old tracks I've only read about when I was younger. Quain runs a tight, fast paced, SEGA only, one day show that usually has record attendance, something many of these small tracks haven't seen in years.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HEMIBERT
    Do you know the story about Greg Porter no longer running his green 55 Chevy.
    Was it a SEGA rules thing as his engine seemed a bit "outlaw" based on the heads and intake he was running at the CHRR. I really enjoyed watching it run.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

That's really cool...sounds like it's being run by a solid promoter...I'm in the upper northwest part of Oregon ...about 50 or so miles from Portland ..I used to run my cars at PIR in Portland...just Wednesday night grudge matches mostly...do you know of any program's like SEGA in this area....I wouldn't mind checking in on something like that.....well keep it going straightforward...
    Thanks....Terry (aka Rudestude)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. savannahDan

savannahDan

Yeah and how many transmissions have they broke? They say that because they haven't found a jerico in the junkyard yet. If you have 80 cars at a race running OEM transmissions, 20 would be broke by the end of every race. Fans don't want to see that. If you go to lengths to make the "real period correct" transmissions last durably, they'd cost as mush as the jericos and hightowers, but still shift slower. This is the same reason SEGA allows aluminum heads, it's just the economics of it - it you want to be fast with OEM iron heads you'd have to spend many thousands to make them work as good as an out of the box aftermarket aluminum head. SEGA has a race to run and make enjoyable for the fans. Broken cars, oiled down tracks, it's not good for the program. The guys that push for for infinite period correctness maybe don't fully realize would that would be like for the fans or racers. Few folks would travel far and wide to watch a completely period correct chevy II run high 7's/low 8's (1/8 mile), but hey, at least they could say they did it with a muncie and double hump heads.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and Dog_Patch like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

This is a fun discussion....then you have my old Chevy awb car, running 6.40s 1/8 mile with a mostly (including the 12 inch converter) period slushbox, and street equipment. And it's boring to watch.

I do fully understand why SEGA is set up the way it is. It works!

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  12. I agree, broken cars is not fun for anybody but also just part of the game. The Wilsons use what they can afford, and do the racing for fun. The SEGA does work, and very well, one of the best associations going. Not everybody is going to like every rule, thats been going on since rules where first introduced into drag racing

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  13. SEGA has a branch in Texas. That's a little closer.

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm wondering why the automatics are not being allowed. Do they offer a performance advantage? Do the Sticks put on a better show?
    My thinking is that the automatics would be easier on the drive line. If trans brakes were illegal would that help? What about limiting transmissions to those available in 1967. That would be Turbo hydros, TorqueFlites and C6's, right?

Just asking.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Nostalgia and History are not the same thing.

doyoulikesleds likes this.
  16. savannahDan

savannahDan

Automatics aren't allowed because Quain Stott said so, just the SEGA rules. Everybody agrees automatics were used in the 60's in gassers and A/FX. Manual trans with clutched shifts makes for a better show. Can see automatics race anywhere anytime. This is just a thing that makes SEGA unique. Also, manual trans is kind of a wildcard, and gives the underdog a chance to win a round against any car.

If the SEGA had an automatics only class, that would be the time the fans all get up to go use the bathroom and get a snack.. Just saying.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Utahvette and catdad49 like this.
  17. I agree I'm not preaching oem transmissions, but you run what you have. I broke 2 oem Chrysler 833 4-speeds and 2 Liberty geared Chrysler 4-speeds before I bought a Hightower and have never looked back. Tony can attest to the heartaches I went through trying to stay Chrysler. It was a matter of pride and just plain being stubborn (it runs in the family)

18. And if you've hung with the Wilsons, you know they DO have fun. Great bunch of people.

19. So true, but it does get old after a while.

20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

blownhemi48, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jackson, you a Terry have a race track in your backyard. You guys should start your own group of A/FX cars. ;)

22. For those interested, the SEGA Discovery Channel show is "supposed" to be on tonight again. Check your local listings. I'm the one that beats Josh.

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Maybe you should just get busy and join us lol there are a few guys around here that have them but doin that takes a lot of time and that is one thing I just don't have

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

25. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Hah.. yes because the match racers were switching to automatics in the late 60s because they couldn’t drive 4 speeds.. that’s why

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. The day its not fun anymore, we'll quit. That's about the sum of it all.

cars.JPG

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I have been watching quain for a few years now, he knows what the crowd wants to see, and hes not going to argue with anybody. if you want to run with this group, better find your 4 speed.

chryslerfan55, Utahvette and loudbang like this.
  28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Been following SEGA since the start and I dig what Quain and all you guys got going on. We have a dozen different nostalgia races yearly here in North Texas and none of them are anywhere close to the action I see at every single SEGA race. From the fans standpoint, slush box cars are boring to watch in comparison..

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  29. From all of us, Thank You for that. Did you know the SEGA has a Texas division?

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Yessir, Ive seen a couple of the cars run exhibitions. Cant wait to see a full event

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app