Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New build for TROG

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky77, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

Ten days to go and my chassis is ready to pick up from my painter. I found out my radiator isn’t going to fit, it’s just too tall. Not sure if my clutch is going to work? And the steering sucks, but hopefully I can drive it into the show. That’s still the completely unrealistic goal.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Whoa Daddy!!!!!

Lucky77 likes this.
  3. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Looking good, can we start a tally for how many nuts, bolts, tools, etc get dropped and stuck in there?

Lucky77 likes this.
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

What's the issue with the clutch?!
    Looks pretty cool to me....
    6sally6

chryslerfan55, Lucky77 and Stogy like this.
  5. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I like this!

Lucky77 likes this.
  6. Really Awesome work and build. You've made it look easy which it isn't. RIP Fab32. Didn't know he had passed. He was a great dude from my dealings with him on the hamb. Really cool you get to setup in his shop and continue on. He has to be watching as someone else pointed out!

LBCD, chryslerfan55 and Lucky77 like this.
  7. Lucky77

Lucky77

IMG_1993.JPG I built his coupe for Autorama last year. He never touched it from 1977 till he passed away four years ago. I had to shove it to the center of the shop to assemble the T closer to the shop door. I was welding some brackets on the rear end and I know it sounds goofy, but when I looked up it just felt like the coupe/Frank was watching me.

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

I only eyeballed the plate that holds the F1 pedals. I haven’t made any linkage yet. Plus, to give you an idea of how low this thing is, the pedals rest against the dash. So they’ll need to be cut way down and hopefully they’ll be tall enough for a good ratio.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You fellas are amazing...playing car designer is an art in mechanical genius...enjoying your thrash...all the best in meeting your expectations...your certainly meeting mine...;)

10. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thanks! I appreciate it.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. Lucky77

Lucky77

Final assembly on the chassis started this morning after a few days off under the weather. Hopefully the rear suspension comes back from the painter tomorrow and I’ll have myself a roller. IMG_1985.JPG IMG_1986.JPG IMG_1987.JPG IMG_1988.JPG

12. Lucky77

Lucky77

I yanked the engine out of my roadster with the help of a buddy from Detroit. (If you’re into vintage motorcycles you might know this guy, Randy Hayward. We met through racing at TROG, and even though he has bikes to get ready for Autorama and he’s racing at the TROG event in Santa Barbara in two weeks, he still made time to come up from Detroit to lend a hand. We also took a few hot laps in the roadster before we tore it apart and got absolutely filthy! Last night, another friend (I think he’s DirtyTace on the H.A.M.B.) brought the body over. He asked if I needed a hand with it? I said it’s all yours. It looks great compared to what we started with. Including today there’s four more days till move in and I’m working two of them. The body will hopefully be in primer Monday and the motor goes in tonight![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Lucky77

Lucky77

Well, I made it thanks to a lot of help from my dad, girlfriend, her dad, my painter, body guy, and another hot rod buddy. I was about ten hours late leaving for Detroit, but the car fired up and drove into the trailer around 5:00 pm then I drove it into Cobo Hall at 7:15 pm. I found out there was some money being exchanged when it came to whether or not I’d make it. Glad I could prove the naysayers wrong. That’s two cars in two years out of Frank’s shop that fired up and drove for the first time on move in day. Guess I like cutting it close.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That sucker is LOW! Dig it. Great job!

AmishMike and Lucky77 like this.
  15. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thanks Pete!

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Surprised the alternator sticking out up top and Superbell axle out front are ok with the TROG authorities.
    Or am I missing something?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Lucky77

Lucky77

There will obviously be some changes made before the race, (if I get picked.) The front end is from my A coupe project and won’t be on the car if it races. And that engine with the alternator and electric fan have raced the last four years. But if it’s sticking out the hood like that I’m going to switch to a generator.

18. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm like'n it but.........that alternator:eek:. Be'in a flattie, maybe there isn't another "spot" you could hang it. Still a cool ride.
    6sally6

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

20. Lucky77

Lucky77

I have a torque tube so that’s not an option. I have a hood on the car this motor came out of and it’s raced at TROG just like this the last four years.

21. Lucky77

Lucky77

I’ll obviously have to switch to a generator for TROG, maybe an offset mount over the head. But I’ve raced this engine just like this at TROG the last four years.

22. 7 to 1 is good

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did you get on with the pedals? Cutting them down would be the least preferred option. You may still get a 7 to 1 ratio but short pedals will mean hard pedals with less function.

24. Dude this thing is sick!

25. Kenny P

Kenny P

Bump....This one is too cool if people missed it.
    Did you get picked?!

26. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yeah, got my confirmation today.

Kenny P, Smrtmike and Paul like this.
  27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome , will keep an eye out for you at Wildwood.

28. bangerbob

bangerbob

greasemonkey54 and kidcampbell71 like this.