Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mexican lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodsnwater, Mar 5, 2019.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Got a set of lifters that came from Engine Tech that have made in mexico on them. I've done a little research and they are made by Eaton. I tried Melling and Sealed power and they are made in mexico too.
    My machinist doesn't want to use them but the business I bought them from has been using them since 1992 without issues.
    Have y'all had any issues with these Eaton lifters? Seems like they make lifters for everybody.

2. 73RR

73RR

Maybe shop around a little more. My EPWI whse still sells lifters made in the US. There is a whse in Memphis if that location helps you.

loudbang and woodsnwater like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Problem is US made only aplys to the body, the internal components are made in china.

4. Could have him do a Rockwell test on the base if that would help.

5. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The good ones come from Mexico, the bad ones from China. I have used engine tech cams and flat tappet lifters in a couple of rebuilds ( nothing crazy powerful, just overhauls with stock valve springs ) and never had a problem. For hi performance builds using stiff valve springs I´d recommend roller lifters/ cams.

Deuces and woodsnwater like this.
  7. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Thanks 73RR. I just talked to a epwi dealer who said that that he sells eatons and the USA made Johnson high lifts out of Michigan.. He said there is no quality difference between the two and 90 percent of the failures he has seen over the years is trash related. He said to run the Eatons I have.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

9. My Elgin has USA on the box

Deuces likes this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I thought this was gonna be about that Jack Black movie 'Nacho Libre'.

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Ever experience "Made in USA" on the box but it's only the box made in USA? :)

12. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Yeah its funny about Mexican stuff, Mexican doesn't necessarily mean cheap or inferior, you can still get asbestos brake pads, r12 refrigerant and a bunch of other stuff banned in the US years ago, there are some differences, bearings are cut to different angles etc. to keep outside manufacturers from dumping lower cost stuff into their economy. but its all probably made on American machines with American know how.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  13. Steve Duleck

Steve Duleck

You have to watch the "made in USA" stuff nowadays. Like the starters and alternators from Cleveland, There Chinese bits assembled in OH.
    Not good.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

My uncle used to own a machine shop right and after GM put a plant there, he got a lot of the warranty claims motors. UNtil they were up and running for a few years, he had a lot of business. THey would forget to put little things on like......rings and bearings.....lifters and timing chains......

Fortunateson likes this.
  15. XXL__

XXL__

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Companies move because of labor cost and taxes , the material is the same and since most manufacturing is automated these days , the quality of the product shouldn't be an issue , management caring more about QC than profit is the deciding factor...

Texas Webb likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

18. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

I saw some mexican lifters today down at the Home Depot

19. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

any more "US made" only applies to the box it is printed on.

rusty valley and Deuces like this.
  20. XXL__

XXL__

One is the Federal Trade Commission. The other is the company accused of violating federal law. This doesn't operate like some kind of backyard "he said, she said" squabble. There are established processes for this, and they are enforced (but only when the FTC knows there is a violation).

I was directly involved in "Made in USA" product designations for a Fortune 50 company for years. I worked directly with FTC authorities to ensure our products were in compliance. My $40 BILLION annual revenue company, with more lawyers than you could count in a month didn't try to screw with the FTC. It complied.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It only takes a couple hours for a competent shop to install a set of original steel lifters.
    No worries about soft metal and loose screws then.

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My engine building buddy's have had problems with hydraulic lifters from all the cam companies, the story is the lifter body is USA made but all the company's started using China internal components and the tolerances are not correct, some of the lifters are so bad you can push them down with very little resistance. Crane lifters have been working the best for them.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  23. I was sceptical about engine tech parts but the reviews seem to be good

woodsnwater likes this.
  24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What is a "hydronic" lifter?

Oldioron, 270dodge and King ford like this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Some years ago I had a camshaft reground and the lifter bottoms as well. Does anyone still do it?
    Mine were solid, but is there any reason that hydraulic would not be regrindable?

I would think that if the hardening were deep enough there shouldn't be a problem.

26. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I suspect his " spellcheck " substituted that for hydraulic.....often you later see. " damn spellcheck "!

loudbang and Oldioron like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe he meant "hydroponic lifter": a lifter you grow in your basement under special lights. Then you don't need to worry about importing them from Mexico.

28. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

A smartphone with a sense of humor.:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  29. You just need to make sure they were grown in an American basement. :rolleyes:

30. 73RR

73RR

Can you offer some details on that ?