Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone ever cut Versailles brackets off an axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testdepth, Mar 2, 2019.

1. testdepth

testdepth

Any suggestions on how to cut these Versailles caliper brackets off my Strange Engineering axles without damaging the axles?

passenger axle rear close of bearing.jpg passenger axle rear with caliper flange.jpg

2. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I would think you will need to press the bearing off. You could cut them off but you will still need to reinstall the new bearing / axle retainer.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

Just make sure you split the retainer ring before trying to press it apart.

Atwater Mike, alanp561 and loudbang like this.

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

As to the retainer ring , if you never did one you can grind it with a disc grinder on opposite sides until its very thin then knock it off with a chisel....to reinstall use a piece of pipe and a BFH ...

alanp561 and testdepth like this.
  6. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easier way to reinstall is just to heat it and drop it on.

Boryca likes this.
  7. Do not heat it, the problem with that is it shrinks as it cools and leaves a gap between it and the bearing, press the bearing on then the ring. And now everyone is going to tell me they do it all the time, blah blah blah.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS, alanp561, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  8. testdepth

testdepth

So I can't just cut that bracket off without messing with the bearing or axle?

I was going to try and cut until it is thin and then take a chisel and as King Ford suggested a BFHammer and pop it off. I don't have a press.

9. Look at it this way...those bearings probably have a few gazillion miles on them...time to replace,,,,have your shop of choice remove them....and , oh by the way don't put the caliper brackets back on with the new bearings.

By the time you get those brackets cut down to remove you will have spent the shop charges in time.

flatford39, testdepth and loudbang like this.
  10. I'd get them pressed off; there's always someone around that can do it for you. If you don't plan on using the brackets yourself, you can always list them for sale as people still use that factory disc setup.
    Why do you want to cut them off? Bearing change? Brake type change?

11. testdepth

testdepth

Going with a different disc brake kit that uses rotors, pads and calipers that are easier to obtain.

swade41 likes this.
  12. If you heat the retaining rings to install them, they will creep unless you keep them in the press with pressure on them until they cool. We did this many times when assembling rotating equipment, installing bearings and retainers, and never had a problem.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. X-cpe

X-cpe

From the pictures it looks like the caliper brackets also serve as the axle retainers. So unless the axle retainers in your new setup are a horseshoe you are going to have to press the bearing off to put the new axle retainers on. You can get new bearing retainer rings if the bearing are good, but new bearing are cheap insurance.

14. testdepth

testdepth

qpdisckitwpark01 (Medium).jpg

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut mine off. I used Currie retainers, that I cut a slot in.

If memory serves, they were: CE-9005LB38.

16. I'm cutting mine off too for the same reason, actually I'm cutting the housing ends off and shit canning the whole operation. I'm switching over to the new torino style ends and 11 inch drums to get away from the Versailles stuff. Screenshot_20190303-225018_Chrome.jpg 91096227_L_8a5529f6-58dc-4350-9ef3-847a422fe6c4.jpg

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kept my ends, and just reworked my backing plates.

18. I want the big bearing ends so I can put beefier axles in

19. testdepth

testdepth

I checked on new bearings and the cost to have them put on. Parts, labor and shipping $200+. I can cut the brackets off for free. Just have to figure out how.

20. If your set on cutting them off I would try doing multiple cuts with a good cut of wheel in an angle grinder.
    Get as close to the bearing as you can and hopefully what ever is left cracks and falls off.

Worse case, you need new bearings and retainers, best case it works out for you.
    Really , at this point the only thing you got to loose is time. Wear safety glasses and go at it.

testdepth likes this.
  21. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have had lots of grief over the last two years with these axles and bearings. I wanted to get rid of the original brakes. I looked at several options and then I went with a set of brackets made by a member on the HAMB. He really worked with me to make the brackets work on the Lincoln rear. The Lincoln axle flanges are indexed different that the normal 9 inch rear and if you use the same bracket that most kits include it puts the caliper and the bleeder in a position that is more difficult to work with.

My problem has not been with the disc brake change so much as it has been with the quality of the new bearings. During the last two years and 15,000 miles of driving, I have changed out 5 rear wheel bearings. And yes my housing is straight and true. I cut off two perfectly good Ford bearing and now I have replaced them with various brands of bearings, all made in China, and sold at different parts stores. I plan to replace the next set with NOS Ford bearings. %Jaf4iIVSpKSDT4aur6M7A_thumb_62.jpg IMG_7326.jpeg IMG_7326.jpeg

22. testdepth

testdepth

Bolt pattern is currently 5 x 4 3/4 with 1/2 x 20 studs. These Strange Engineering axles also have threaded holes in the 5 x 4 1/2 with 7/16 x 20 stud holes. I'll stay with what is there as that also matches the rims I have in 4 3/4.

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Press them off , get new bearings and retaining ring . Be sure to get retaining flange that matches your bearing retainer . Man you are going about this the hard way x 10 , Explorer Discs are your friend .

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Threaded holes should be opposite bolt pattern than what you listed..

25. testdepth

testdepth

My 9" narrowed axle flange and Strange Engineering axle face showing 1/2" x 20 studs in 5 x 4 3/4" passenger axle rear flange face.jpg passenger axle rear with caliper flange.jpg .
    49568786_2180161822197610_5268450736336797696_n.jpg

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your housing for straightness.

27. testdepth

testdepth

One down and one to go! Dremel with some cut off wheels and small chisel did the trick in 30 minutes.

axle without bracket.jpg dremel and the bracket.jpg

28. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Very interesting. I have a spare rear end that I might try to do this myself to save the Ford bearings on those axles.

29. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This looks like a Quick Performance brake kit. I've been considering buying one myself, along with a pair of axles and some other bits. What is your opinion of the brake kit?

30. testdepth

testdepth

It is a Quick Performance kit. I bought a new differential from them a few weeks ago and it was top notch and ready to bolt in. They are very responsive and provide great customer service. I'll buy their kit today.