Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Muncie 4 Speed Hurst shifter covert to TH350

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 70executive-Catalina, Mar 4, 2019.

1. 70executive-Catalina

70executive-Catalina
    from Canada

Can it be done?! Can you convert a Hurst Shifter off a Muncie 4 speed to TH350?

Attached Files:

2. Sure..You're in luck . The handle unbolts..Now you've just got to fabricate the rest of it..o_O

seb fontana, Jibs, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  3. 70executive-Catalina

70executive-Catalina
    from Canada

What is the issue here? Is it the adapter plate?

4. Squablow

Squablow

Not only do they not mount the same, the 4 speed shifter has no detents and moves side to side, and uses multiple rods. The 4 speed shifter in no way is adaptable to the automatic trans, unless, as noted above, you just want to use the handle. That you could do, would just be a matter of attaching the handle to a floor shift automatic shifter mechanism.

5. 70executive-Catalina

70executive-Catalina
    from Canada

Okay thank you. So essentially the whole mechanism is useless except from the handle down?

mgtstumpy, 1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

From the handle down is still good for a four speed.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There was someone north of the border looking for a Hurst Shifter, not that long ago, maybe you can sell it and by the proper shifter.

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If you know how to take one apart and understand how it works, then sure. Disregard 1-2 and reverse, build a detent that will take advantage of spring back of lever arm.

PONTNAK123, 1Nimrod, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  9. 1pickup

1pickup

About 100 years ago, I used a pistol grip 4 speed shifter out of a '70 Road Runner on a Powerglide in my '70 Javelin. Looked cool as hell. But, it was so heavy, that it would occasionally downshift by itself. Needed some kind of detent, & I wasn't smart enough at that time to build it. That's no bueno.

bchctybob, 1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

That's a Hurst shifter intended for 1st generation Camaro or Firebird ....they're worth pretty good money. Why dont you just sell that one and buy an automatic shifter you like?

Pitbullgoingpostal and 1Nimrod like this.
  11. Look for one of these... '82-91 Jaguar XJS. Would be easy to cut off the existing handle and bolt a Hurst lever to it, has positive detents/shift gates, built-in neutral safety and back-up light switches, cable operated, and already set up for a TH400. The '75-80 might work too, but Jag used a B-W automatic in those years, so the cable end at the trans may be different. Very well-built shifter...

XJS shifter.jpg

Mimilan, 1Nimrod, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

People have trouble distinguishing between what a thing is and what a thing is for. Whether this will work depends entirely on the former and not in the least on the latter.

The shifter comprises a lever, a mechanism for laterally engaging one of three fore-aft shift devices (shift rods), and the shift rods themselves. For use on a TH350 you'd only need one fore-aft shift device, so you'll have to disable the lateral selection mechanism, i.e. lock it in position so that it is permanently connected to one shift rod only. Now it is a matter of travel, effort, and direction of rotation. How does the remaining shift rod's travel compare with that of the arm on the transmission? How hard do you therefore have to pull or push on the shift lever? Is the shift pattern the way around that you want it? You might have to make up a custom arm to get all that right.

bchctybob, 1Nimrod and Hnstray like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1Nimrod, jim snow, BJR and 1 other person like this.
  14. Yeah, should have been my first post here, but a smart ass remark seemed more appropriate, this being the HAMB.
    We used the Autostick I in the T350 race cars in the 70's, before the NHRA safety mandates. Even used them in the car haulers after replacing the truck 4 speeds.
    Simple , basic stuff. Not sure why they replaced them with that cable junk box.

Anyway , a simple search of Google should have told the o/p that this was not a good idea. :

[​IMG]

15. I modified a Foxcraft 3sp floor shifter to work with a TH350 once. it was pretty simple to just use one lever and the detents in the trans. It didn't have a heavy shift knob so I didn't have any problems with it shifting by itself. I also put a spring on the clutch pedal and left it in the car.

Randall and 1Nimrod like this.
  16. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

B&M make these manual looking auto shifters ,,use could graft a hurst stick on ,,if you need a indicator,install a remote one under your dash 8568E094-4DE4-41CC-8C41-F85751D3868B.jpeg

17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

The shifter you want is a hurst autostick 1 they are out there but hope your wallet is fat the last few I seen sell were real damn expensive but if you want kool and a good shifter you will have to pay for it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I used a Hurst Stick Shift for the Throttle on my 1960 Bucksmith flat bottom V-Drive Boat

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with the SELL IT and buy a proper one and probably have beer money left over.
    Decent Hurst 4 speed shifters bring too much coin to butcher them up thinking you are saving a dime.

jimmy six, bchctybob and 1Nimrod like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Agree, and to give it that extra touch of "traditional 4 speed look". Make a bracket that uses the tail housing bolts so shifter can be mounted along side of transmission so shifter pokes out off center.

jimmy six and 1Nimrod like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

It only works if you add a dummy clutch pedal.

jimmy six and RoddyB34 like this.
  22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Or rig a ball valve "clutch" like the dirt track guys use as a sort of finesse pedal for downshifts etc.

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tandem brake pedal (as in attached second pedal). That way one get's power brakes at the same time. ;)

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. sdluck

sdluck

What exactly do you want to do?

26. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

drive a real hotrod, leave the 4sp in it

bowie and Moriarity like this.
  27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I offered the OP one of my refurbished Hurst Auto Stick 1 shifters for CHEAP, $400.00 plus shipping (I only have 4 of them, plus all the other shifters I've collected). I have not learned how to post photos, I've said that many times here; I learn how to do that, and that's all I'd be doing. I already spend too much time online. He implied I was being less than an honest person; "Sorry Butch but I did't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday-no pictures-no sale". Well OK then. Besides, this is for a 1970 Canadian Pontiac, with a "three in the tree" (his words), and I think the 4 speed is probably a file photo or pulled from the net; he obviously did't read the rules of the HAMB. I am Butch/56sedandelivery, member since 2006, Alliance Member, over 5,000 postings, and I've sold or given away LOTS of stuff here on the HAMB. I vote for BANNING HIM!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Saxman, 61Cruiser and big duece like this.
  28. sdluck

sdluck

Very nice of you,I also have one but will decline the offer to him.

29. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

On par with his cylinder head post...

big duece likes this.
  30. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I know old post again...

In my opinion he's just young and asking for help, how else will he learn if he doesn't ask questions?
    Just a thought, I think we were all there at one point or time in our life and needed help from someone that had much more knowledge...
    Right...

1Nimrod

tomcat11 likes this.