Register now to get rid of these ads!

Date of manufacture of 1940 dodge coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dodgey Jnr, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Dodgey Jnr

Dodgey Jnr

Hi All.
    New to this site and coming from the UK. I am trying to obtain the date of manufacture of a 1940 dodge d15 I am taking on. It unfortunately has no paperwork but it belongs to a relative who has mislaid all its documents. Does anyone know where I should start. I have the engine, body and serial numbers. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

2. Hyfire

Hyfire

Contact Chrysler Historical Services in Detroit. They can provide a build sheet. You will need to give them your serial and proof of ownership.

3. alchemy

alchemy

He said his relative has mislaid all the documents, so I doubt they can prove ownership. Chicken vs. egg.

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019

5. The nice lady (Danielle) at the Chrysler Museum told me that the reason for requesting proof of ownership for the information on a car is so that she "wasn't giving just anyone the build card information for them to use adversely."

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  6. 73RR

73RR

Check with the guys at www.p15-d24.com

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

Engine number should match frame number from memory. Frame numbers is hand stamped and about 1/2" in height. D14 and D17 was the Chrysler engineering code for 1940 models, D15 code was for export models.

Hyfire likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Chrysler wrote that the model code for passenger cars immediately precedes the numerical part of the engine number, so if the engine number is PC 1008 AB, the model code is PC (though there are some variations. For example, there was no PG series engine for the 1934 PG Plymouth; the PG engines all had the PF code. In some years, such as 1936, the business series engine had the engine code of the Deluxe series.

For cars, the model code is on a plate on the engine side of the cowl over the steering column, or on the right front door front pillar post. The engine number is always on the left side of the engine block, at the front, below the cylinder head.

The serial number for passenger cars is on a plate on the right or left front door front pillar post, and/or on the instrument panel, and/or over the instrument panel. For trucks, it is on the plate showing the model code, on the engine side of the cowl over the steering column, or on the door front pillar post (right or left side, front door).
    upload_2019-3-5_9-54-45.png
    upload_2019-3-5_9-55-43.png
    upload_2019-3-5_10-24-41.png
    upload_2019-3-5_10-13-46.png
    Tag featured 7 or 8 character string

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serial is here or on front frame rails