Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB friendly matchbox cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by junkyardjeff, Mar 3, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Been collecting Hot wheels and other diecast cars for many years and noticed that lately Matchbox has brought some of the ones I played with when I was a child along with some other interesting cars and trucks. Since there are just too many Hot Wheels and they take up too much room I will be selling my collection of them this year and will concentrate on the Matchboxes,I started with them before the Hot Wheels and I hope they do not offer too many color variations so I will not need to get them all.

Attached Files:

abe lugo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My Mother had a bunch of "Matchbox" cars, in little yellow cardboard boxes, and stored in an old trunk in the garage. She had them for at least 50 years, and some of them were duplicates. She never let us kids play with them. Then a few years ago, she asks me to put an ad on Craig's List, and she got a quick response. We arrange a day/time, so I could be there with her; she had them "displayed" on the kitchen table in an ark, each one sitting on top of it's little yellow box. The guy arrives and we take him into the kitchen; he literally stops dead in his tracks with a fixed gaze. He's looking over them very closely, and my Mother whispers to me she wants $35.00 for them. I told her let him make an offer. After he's looked them over, he sheepishly asks my Mother if she'd take $800.00 for them. S-O-L-D!!! The guy was happy as a clam (whatever that really means), Mother was happy too. I've wondered what they might have really been worth. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The originals in the box will bring some good money,I did get a bunch from the 60s right after I discovered that online auction place to replace the ones I destroyed but none with the boxes. I just picked up the 33 Plymouth today and got the 35 Ford p/u the other day,I need to see if I can find out all the neat ones that are out or coming out. For around a dollar each they look to be decently detailed.

rudestude and Deuces like this.
  4. rudestude

rudestude

I have been grabbing some Matchbox cars lately myself...I also have a large collection of Hot Wheels..I only buy the ones that are replicas of real cars Hot Wheels tends to get pretty far out there on there car desighns , except for there adult collections, and I'm pretty select on them also...same with Matchbox even though there's are pretty much all like the actual cars and trucks I'm still selective of them...got a couple yesterday. The green hot rod truck for me and the fire truck for my dad, he's a retired firefighter and between my brother and I we have built him up a very large collection of firefighting equipment die-cast, old toys and other memorabilia , little while back I got the Plymouth sedan police car...actually I grabbed 4 of them... I like to take them apart and repaint them ...change out the tires and wheels...I do the same with hot wheels and ...well pretty much all my "toys".... 1551672036366~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

I have collected at least 1 of each from early 50’s to 1991. 1-72’s and Yesteryears, Horse drawn Fire and Beer Collection. All collecting dust. EBay decimated the collector value of Matchbox. It made all the”rare” ones available to the world. I quit collecting them in 1991, they got too expensive to purchase retail. 10 years later some that I paid $30.00 for were on eBay for $10.00. My collection of over 1000 was worth about $10k, is now worth maybe $2k☹️

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

HMMMM have not seen hot rod truck..............

7. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

8. Wow! Thanks guys follow @matchboxworld
    On instagram. This my daily gig.
    I have to play fair and keep all the percentages of vintage vs modern very close. I know my heart is in vintage. But in Matchbox you have to have love for all vehicles.
    This is the latest out. It’s in the 9 pack at most all Walmarts and Targets. It’s also my lady’s old 1959 Dodge. It should be out as a single also.

Also note Matchbox has been around 66 years and Superfast Matchbox has been around 50 years!

The ‘35 Ford pickup should be out in stores now.

BB7D66FA-58A1-406A-AE69-07AA83E201CD.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Deuces and tinsled like this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

Don't know if this is considered HAMB friendly..
    Vintage cigar/gift box by Lesney England ser# 661297?
    it kind of hard to see...nice box has brass inlays, I believe the car is gold plated...I use it for storing what ever cars that I may be playing with at the time on my desk... 20190303_234219.jpeg 20190303_234157.jpeg 20190303_234852.jpeg 20190303_234626.jpeg

abe lugo and catdad49 like this.
  10. rudestude

rudestude

Here's some random one's that I had laying around..I have several mid to late 60"s ones but they are buried st this time... 20190304_005749.jpeg 20190304_005738.jpeg 20190304_005649.jpeg

abe lugo, hotrodharry2 and catdad49 like this.
  11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been trying to find that Dodge A100 in a single pack,I can not wait to get rid of all my newer Hot Wheels to get some cash to buy older diecast.

rudestude likes this.
  12. I collect hot wheels mostly (none of the fantasy stuff) but matchbox has had some good castings as of late. I believe this one only comes in a 5 pack or at least thats the only way Ive found it.

Attached Files:

gearhead1600 likes this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have not seen that one and will get the 5 pack to get it,I have only seen that A100 in a 10 pack but I think there were not many others in that pack that I wanted.

14. The standard ones are for the most part not super expensive but if your mother had a rare colour variation or a rare box the value can easily go in the hundreds or even thousands if it is in good condition.

15. Unfortunately the other 4 cars in the pack are terrible. Its a "muddy offroad" type multi pack and its really odd the 33 is in it.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The little girls next door will get the others.

17. My daughter usually use the ones we think "arent cool" to be jumped or as crash fodder on her track hahaha

18. rudestude

rudestude

My "Aren't Cool" or "Off Brand" cars end up in one of the several "Wrecking Yard" boxes that I have ...to be used for parts or some other "Frankenstein" projects .....
    My brother is in the antiques business and does estate sales and farm sales.....and quite often runs across hordes of collections of die-cast , hot wheels matchbox and everything in between...models also.....I usually get first shot at anything ..and they come free to me.....little while back we got into a very large collection, 3 bedrooms and loft in a shop full, all unopened and packed in boxes...all were from the 80's and 90's when everyone became collectors with the idea buy everything that says "collectible" on it and ...Don't open it ..its going to be worth more....ya ...all that did was make alot of money for the supplier at the time....I was giving them away for free at swap meets to people that had kids with them or to friends that have kids or grandchildren...and I still have alot of duplicates.....and I play with mine and I admit I may even smash one occasionally ..just because I can...and don't have to worry about getting in trouble from my parents....well actually if they found out that I smashed one now they would have something to say...like what the hell did you do that for..?..don't you think?....and I'm 57yrs.old ....but at least I don't take them out side in the dirt anymore.......its all fun..
    20190304_150624(0).jpeg

gearhead1600 likes this.
  19. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Found myself compelled to reply to you about this pic and car
    First , I love the way you photographed it and second is I have never seen this car before ( but that might be because it just didn’t register) , the front wheel is one of the features that really caught my eye
    I’m 65 and I also collected matchbox but to play with ,
    As a kid I always wanted them not so , for the lack of a better word ,,, old fashion?
    They were cool and I had tons of fun with them but some how there was something missing
    And then Hot wheels came along and stole there thunder
    I was hooked and it was hot wheels all the way ...
    For the most part for me it was always the wheels
    So now that I am thinking about it maybe I’ll have to a take a old matchbox out of the junk box and swap some hot wheels on to it ,
    Thanks for showing it and yah , the way you took the pic was perfect !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I cant take credit for the photo, it was found off google. Had I taken it it wouldve been blurry hahaha

gearhead1600 likes this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

I'm sure they know what they are doing with their marketing, but wth all the weird "cars" they are selling, it's nice to see these hot rods! image.png

abe lugo likes this.
  22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like that they are bringing out some that I am interested in,back in the 60s when I played with them they did not have all those goofy versions and had ones like were on the road at that time.

23. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Darn you guys, I just ordered 2 of the Mooneye Ford trucks.

24. h gasser

h gasser

abe lugo and dmdeaton like this.
  25. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

A few more Hamb friendly Matchbox:
    55 f 100.jpg
    A bit "street roddy"
    DSCN0068.JPG
    DSCN0040a.JPG

rudestude likes this.
  26. rudestude

rudestude

Spotted this today at my brother's shop...it didn't come home with me ..yet..he wants to Ebay it first...he was a little tight today with his toys...I got s few matchbox cars from him and several tootsie toy cars he let loose of....the matchbox track I have one already...actually I have just the box..nothing inside...the box is near perfect..but you can't do much with a empty box...well I guess you.......anyways will see what happens... 20190310_125245.jpeg 20190310_125216.jpeg 20190310_200616(0).jpeg 20190310_200722.jpeg 20190310_200749.jpeg 20190310_213031.jpeg

gearhead1600 likes this.
  27. rudestude

rudestude

28. rudestude

rudestude

Crap...I was just going through a box in one of my back rooms and found some cars that I forgot I had...I have been looking out for that hot rod coupe since I saw it posted here ..I have had it all the time even the Moon eyes pick-up....and some for the junk box also... 20190311_131118.jpeg 20190311_131129.jpeg 20190311_131148.jpeg 20190311_131211.jpeg

29. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just moved out the roommate that had been in my upstairs bedroom for about 6 years and can finally get to my diecast collection and forgot what I had so will post pics when I get them cleaned up,that room has not been cleaned and is a mess and will never let anyone stay up there again.