Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

2. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

3. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

4. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

5. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

6. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

7. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

8. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

9. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

10. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks L.B.,..... You ROCK!..... ;)

40two, MMM RED, HEMIDAV and 5 others like this.
  11. jchav62

jchav62

It does look that way, but they are between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, NM on "La Bajada". In those days there was an Auto Camp service center at the top of the hill and a community at the bottom. This was part of the El Camino Real, later designated as NM 1, then later US 66/85. (pre-1937 US 66 alignment). Some folks actually paid people to drive their vehicle up and down the hill.

NHRANUT, loudbang, bobbytnm and 5 others like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend who's mother took a trip between Belen, NM and Denver, CO as a young lady, in the late teens...1915
    They took a day from Belen to Albuquerque, about 35 miles. Another day from Albuquerque to the base of La Bajada hill and camped overnight before climbing the hill....having to back the entire way because of the gas tank position in the Model T they were driving....it took them all day. The thing that was prevalent in her diary were the multiple stops per day to change or repair flat tires.

Mark Hinds, BigO, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  13. jchav62

jchav62

It's crazy to think that the commute I take everyday to work was a HUGE ordeal for the people less than 100 years ago. We have life so easy nowadays. I've never been to the original La Bajada, but I plan on going sometime here real soon. The Cochiti Pueblo has it blocked from the bottom, but you can still access it from the top through Santa Fe.

kbgreen, loudbang, bobbytnm and 3 others like this.
  14. j3harleys

j3harleys

I don't mind seeing the same photos several times. But keep in mind I'm not like most. Some I could look at every day and enjoy them. I have only been on the HAMB for 9 years so there are a crap load of pics that I haven't seen. Guess I better spend a couple winter days and start from page one and see what i missed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    61Cruiser, HEMIDAV, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, I had the same thoughts about our pace of life and impatience. That's why the photo documentation and discussion is so important in my mind. Take the trip

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. jroberts

jroberts

I was thinking that that was a lot of people just gawking at an accident. The press is out so it must have been a big deal. Or maybe just a blood thirsty public.

loudbang likes this.
  17. "Currently there is NO reliable method of seeing if a photo has been posted before other than MANUALLY LOOKING for it in ALL 6200+ pages."

I think I have gone through all the pages from the beginning. Yes there is no way to try to remember all the photos in there without reposting them. If there was a tag feature that you could add HAMB to the post then maybe that could help avoid duplicates. I've tried using Google Images for searching some photos here but often it's worthless. I get some that come back as friggen Pakistan! WTF!?!
    There are many photos that I don't mind seeing again and I'll still throw them a like.

18. I come here every day in hopes someone will repost some of my past contributions. Only chance I have anymore to see the family again. Thanks to all those who keep this fun. The rest of you just remember what Mom used to say, "If you don't have something nice to say, SIT DOWN and STFU!"

61Cruiser, HEMIDAV, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  19. I would just like to say { THANKS }to you guys, for your work. There's really a lot of cool vintage photos! Also about any reposted photos? I don't get to see all your post. So I mostly try to post my own old pictures. But if I see an old photo { like the one below },and that I think it's cool. I figure if it's a repost, it won't hurt. I personally don't mind seeing reposted photos myself. But that's just me. Who wouldn't like to sleep on top of your car!:rolleyes: Ron.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  20. noboD

noboD

If you could post her diary it would be an interesting read. Do a google search on the Abernathy Boys if you like this kind of stuff. Banjeux Bob on the HAMB turned me onto them a few years ago. It's been a while since I read the books so I may off a little here. Around 1906 at the age of 5 and 9 two brothers rode their horses from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque by themselves. At least one of the books is posted online to read. AACA library has a a journal of two guys that in around 1920 drove a Model T speedster {to keep this hotrod related} from PA. to Calif. and back. They included daily temps, road conditions, mileage for almost every day. Also very interesting read.

21. [​IMG]
    From an ad for an upcoming Estate sale.

22. I have stayed in worse
    Ben

23. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

24. verde742

verde742

Does anybody know who inherited Tex's 9 million dollars when he died ?
    Did he have children ? quite a wad !!!

LOU WELLS, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

HEMIDAV, Lil32, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  26. Fordors

Fordors

Nine million is quite a wad, I had never heard that before. So how does one accumulate that much doing what he did for a career? Was there stock issued in Peterson Publishing that appreciated greatly?

LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

peter gunn, also known as a "princeton." even perry mason got one!

HEMIDAV and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dad used to wrap his tires with tape!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. verde742

verde742

As I understand it, he owned 20 % of McMullen and Gee & the company bought everybody out. ( Street Rodder magazine.. TRM )

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Lil32, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.