Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960 Pontiac stance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fine29, Mar 1, 2019.

1. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Hey all, I just picked up a 60 Pontiac Catalina. I am wanting to change the stance and wondering why my options are. I want to raise the car about 2” to match the maroon one pictured. Thanks for the help and ideas.

Attached Files:

MOTOV8N, Torkwrench and Deuces like this.
  2. Can't tell shit from shineola about the green one.

3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

That Bonnie is several inches longer than your Cat. Wheels & tires won't change that...
    Bitchin' ride though!

4. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Green one looks like a really nice ride.

5. Todd553

Todd553

I think I've seen the green Catalina. I really like that car. I like them with the nose up slightly.
    Same stance I tried to get with my 57 Chieftain
    . images.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg RJ51-Photo-1.jpg

6. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

The current stance on the green one is low right now, the wheel wells are over the tire. I’d like the wheel wells to be up about two inches more to sit about where the maroon cars are.

Basically looking to see if there are springs someone knows of to raise it or if spacers or air shocks are my only options.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I am picking up a set of torque thrusts today but the car has more of a cruiser stance and I’d like it to have more of the stance of the maroon car pictured.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Replace those original sagging rear springs or add air shocks, or both.

scrap metal 48 and ClayMart like this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Back in the day (1962-65) we San Jose boys used station wagon front springs in Chevrolet sedans & two door hardtops.
    Courtesy Chevrolet had a Racers Discount, parts mgr. researched specs on springs and the station wagons had different part#, and were 'taller'. (google 'Moog', some other spring companies have replacement station wagon springs same as sedans, to thin down stock...avoid them.)
    Easy enough to install, if done from the side under lower control arm. Disconnect shock and ball joint.
    Jack stand under diagonal opposite rear bumper.

bchctybob and Torkwrench like this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

HYq2SbttQgeNAfh%02YAZQ.jpg My 60 Bubbletop. 15" Cragars. Distance from the bottom of the front fender to the ground through the wheel centers is 27". Distance of the bottom of rear quarter panel through the wheel centers to the ground is 22 1/4 inches.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    MOTOV8N, Gasser 57, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This is what I did with my 59 Chevy BelAir. I installed front and rear springs for a 64 Chevy 9 passenger station wagon, with a 409 and A.C. The spring rates for these were the stiffest that were available for any 58 - 64 Chevy.

The fronts installed OK without any modifications. However, the rears needed a coil cut off, just to get them installed.

Not sure what interchanges on Pontiacs, but perhaps look for springs for a big 9 passenger wagon, with A.C.

59 at Cordova.jpg

12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

In the old days, just add air shocks.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool car "fine29", and I like your plan too...

lothiandon1940 and fine29 like this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Camera angles can be tricky but the red car appears to have larger tires in the rear, and possibly 14in tires in front and 15 rear.

New big n little tires and new springs in the back should give you the stance you want.

fine29 likes this.
  15. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I just found this thread again, life got kind of crazy and I forgot to post update pictures. This is how the car looks now, we painted it and rebuilt the 389 since the original post.

Attached Files:

16. SS327

SS327

I have a 65 GP that is nn maroon. I love the color. I got to say I thought the green looked better. It showed the curves. I’m in no way, shape or form criticizing your car. It is beautiful!

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Now that’s a nice looking car!
    Mine had a similar stance as yours has now. It was Marina Blue. Loved that car.

fine29 likes this.