Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Header Paint???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Valentines Speed Shop, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Hey Guys wondering what your favorite header paint is??? What is lasting the longest for you?
    Thanks For your input!

2. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I like cerakote

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Has anyone tried VHT primer before color?

4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

silver aluminum.

5. egads

egads

A friend of mine does cerakote on gun's, we were going to try a set of header's. How does it hold up to the heat?

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I use VHT but spray it into the cap and brush it on very lightly and touch up when needed..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have ceramic coated headers on the flatty in the 34
    upload_2019-2-27_13-20-16.png
    And I followed the same prescription on the HEMI going in the 41 truck.
    upload_2019-2-27_13-21-21.png
    I also have a ceramic set on the 442 and the 396 Camaro. The set on the Olds got real hot during break in (damn Olds) but other than a bit dull the finish has stayed on for 20 years.

8. big john d

big john d
    from ma

rustoleum silver barbecue paint it looks real nice and outlasts any header paint i have used in the last forty years

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm with big john d........ rustoleum BBQ paint. In addition to the silver I've used black too. I only spray it heavy enough to get the header/manifold coated with a decent wet coat. I think it holds up better that way than when it's put on too heavy and thick.

Lynn

10. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Mine have been awesome .its on cast iron manifolds but in a year they look like the day I did them .it doesn't take much either to do 2 manifolds it only took 2 1/2 ounces,I bought a quart

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick and egads like this.
  11. 29moonshine

29moonshine

in use por 15 high heat

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Jegs header paint.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mine are all stainless, except for the flathead.
    (Hemi, 455 Olds, SBC, BBC are stainless. All they take is a light rub with Mothers...Mothers tend to be more gentle, fathers rub way too aggressive. (leaving streaks, etc.) :p

Might send the flathead headers with the 406 F-E set down south to San Diego and have them 'hot molten aluminum sprayed'.
    Flatheaders are N.O.S. Sandy Belond, had 'em since I was 14, ordered 'em from an old HRM ad in 1956! (can't recall the price, but think it was under $20!)
    The price to get 'em hot aluminum sprayed should bring their $$ price up...:eek:

Frankie47 and Jim Bouchard like this.
  14. I did my ram horns manifolds with it 3 years ago, has held up well. Paint 'em, put them in the oven at 400F for 2 hours.

Frankie47 likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  16. VHT ceramic is pretty good stuff, I know a few guys that have used it with good results. The key is the prepping. Sandblast them first with 80 grit garnet or aluminum oxide (dont use glass beads or coal slag) Blow them off dont use any kind of chemical.

17. I have sandblasted my exhaust manifolds and used zink spray. I did this about ten years ago and they are still flat grey without any rust.

Rune Waltoft

Elcohaulic likes this.
  18. Thanks everybody for your suggestions so far!

Ceramic coating is nice but out of my price range and style of this build.

I've tried BBQ paint before with OK results, Lasted real well on my flathead but I credit that to the exhaust running thru the block on flatheads giving them cooler exhaust temps at the headers.
    Blowby: my flattie runs warm but no where near 5000 degrees!!! you must have one bad flat mill :D

I was curious about the por-15, ceracote, and vht's longevity as that seems to be what summit pushes.

Rune
    Where did you get the Zinc spray???

19. Hi!

I live in Norway, and here we have a relatively cheap shop called Biltema.
    The spray can states that it contains 90% zink, it costs about 10$ for a can.
    Its also called "cold galvanizing"

Rune Waltoft

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  20. Ok cool, I love how Traditional Hot Rodding is World Wide!!!
    I think rustoleum makes a cold galvanizing spray paint.... I'm going to check on that next visit to the store.

21. Don West

Don West

I've used rustoleum bbq high heat paint with an undercoat of bbq primer on a set of headers for 2 full summer seasons and they look like I just painted them. I was impressed

22. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for the BBQ paint. Three years and over 20,000 miles. Look like I just did 'em.

23. trollst

trollst

Wood stove paint, by far, been on my 36 hooker tight tube sbc for twenty years, stuff is hard to find, far superior to bbq paint.

24. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I'm in the Rustoleum barbecue bomb camp. I've tried lots of different ones over the years and find it works really well and it's easy to get....and inexpensive.

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My friends and I started painting the inside of ours with wood stove paint, a tip we learned from some motorcycle guys. We did that to our chrome drag pipes to help keep them from getting the blues.

26. Well I think you fellows convinced me, Woodstove or BBQ paint it is!

27. Does the bbq paint come in a color other that black? Any suggestions on where to find it?

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Shadow Creek likes this.
  29. I just ceramic metallic coat and be done with it. More expensive but never have to worry about it again.

30. 6sally6

6sally6

Well...I tried it and it burnt off just as quick as all the other shit!...Stainless or powder coating is all I have seen to hold up.
    Hey.......I like rust color!!!!!!
    6sally6