Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 63 Falcon steering idler questions....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boulderdash, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

As I have discovered in the helpful responses to my Falcon build thread, its seems theres plenty of folk on here very clued-up on all things Falcon. I am in the U.K so as you can probably imagine Falcon authorities are rather slim on the ground here!
    My question is regarding the idler arm and bracket. I need a new one, as the one which came off was a 3-bolt v8 type (I think??) and was welded to the chassis by a previous owner!! I have 63/64 v8 manual suspension and steering ($$$ :().
    [​IMG]
    Can I replace this with another cheaper more readily available arm and bracket? If I swap this 3-bolt 63/34 V8 one for a 2-bolt bracket and arm (not sure which, earlier type or '65 V8 type?), can I leave my existing centre link? I realise the 2 and 3-bolt brackets and their respective arms don't interchange i.e you need to have the right arm for the right bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this makes sense!!

2. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

It would be easier to switch to all 65 falcon V8 steering stuff. It's all mustang except for the center link. The last time I bought a 63/64 idler arm it was almost $300.

3. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

Not so easy being as I am in the UK (duty plus shipping = $$$), and its only the bracket I need.

4. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I think I have some new V8 idler arm bushings still in the boxes if you want to rebuild your current V8 one.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about checking with the Austrailians since they had right hand drive Falcons as to the parts available There?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The '63-early '64 V8 steering components are unique, rare, expensive, and inferior to later parts. As others said, upgrade to 65 center link, tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm. If you have the '63 V8 power steering setup with the 1 1/8" sector shaft, you'll need a '67 Mustang pitman arm.

7. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

The bracket was probably welded to the chassis rail rather than bolted for clearance reasons when swapped to the v8. As you can see from my first pic, it was welded in a lower position to how it should be. Hard to know as I bought the car minus engine and box. I think the arm and bushes are fine, its just the bracket I need due to cutting it off. Will an idler arm and bracket from a '65 V8 fit my 63/64 centre link?
    And I remember reading the tapers of the tie rods differ too. Are the 65 V8 outer tie rod ends compatible with my existing 63/64 V8 spindles?

8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

So do you need a complete three bolt idler arm? What about a ‘64 style center link? (I have both)
    If it were me I would convert to the ‘65 style steering. Back in the ‘70’s I converted my ‘64 Comet to the ‘65 design steering in order to fit the headers for my Boss 302 in the Comet chassis.

9. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

PM’ed you