Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2019 Banger Meet - Cupid Flies 4 Cylinders***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 31, 2019.

1. railcarmover

railcarmover

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Binger likes this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

351BDD12-9160-482E-9A20-1EEA4D94EE5F.jpeg
    Have the Weber 32/36 on both of my A’s

burl, Binger and Dannerr like this.
  3. I hear rumors of a TROG in Cali soon, not seen any adverts, When and Where?

4. Jiminy

Jiminy

Their website says Santa Barbara Drags March 8th and 9th 2019 https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/santa-barbara

I will add it to the first post of the month.

Old Dawg likes this.
  5. While you're at it, mark your calendar for Saturday June 29th! That's the F.A.S.T. Time Trials at the Santa Margarita Ranch, 9 miles North of San Luis Obispo, off Highway 101! FASTSM-7.jpg ranch13.jpg

Russ B, Dannerr and Ron Brown like this.
  6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

E3712AD8-13BB-4DD4-88D5-299D47D397BC.jpeg
    Great event...there 2 yrs ago, missed last, wont miss this year

Dannerr likes this.
  7. brjnelson

brjnelson

John, it is true what you hear, I ran that carb on a Nash Metro, for many trouble free years. Set it and forget it.

Dannerr likes this.
  8. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks Brian and Everyone else. I think I am going to try it out on my Stock roadster. It looks a bit too modern to run on my coupe with out hood sides. haha

9. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

would have been way simpler to run the stock three speed behind my banger but this stuff keeps the dream alive throw out.jpg

JT1930, brjnelson, barrnone50 and 2 others like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

Binger, I used one on a '76 VW Rabbit, worked great. And that's almost old.

Binger likes this.
  11. Yeah, Better not miss THIS YEAR! This year just MIGHT be the last. Ron and Carol Mosher who've been operating the non-profit F.A.S.T organization out of their home have announced that they are retiring. If nobody picks up the task, F.A.S.T. will go "dark"! I haven't yet talked to any of the Principal's of the volunteer committee who have put on the Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials for over ten years.

Dannerr likes this.
  12. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dannerr likes this.
  13. Ron and Carol have done a fantastic job with the FAST publication.
    They have also been working on the Antique Nationals for some years now.
    I am sure someone will pick up the FAST magazine and continue. It will need the right people.

J

Old Dawg, Crazydaddyo and Dannerr like this.
  14. Last I heard Dave Wheeler and Tim Edwards are taking it over.

Dannerr likes this.
  15. Yup! I agree they (particular Carol with the newsletter) took F.A.S.T to "The Next Level"! Working with Ron at the "Starting Line" of events, I found him to have been near indispensable. I know of nobody yet that wants to take over the organization! For sure these are "Big Shoes to Fill"!

The Santa Margarita Time Trials are an event "Sanctioned" by F.A.S.T.!; not organized by F.A.S.T. Wheeler and Edwards have taken over the Chairmenship of the volunteer committee of that event ONLY! It has ALWAYS been an "Effort" to get volunteers to run that event...Everybody wants to "Run" their car; few want to "Roll Up Their Sleeves" and help "Pull the Cart"! Just my two cents!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Dannerr likes this.
  16. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

No matter what type of event you are running it is tough to get volunteers.

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  17. In any club or volunteer event 90% of the work is done by 10% of the people.

18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

got the throw out bearing carrier made and figured out,needs a return spring.Not much information on how much space between bearing and fingers is normal when disengaged.Need to make something more rigid for the brake and clutch pedal shaft and it should actually work. throwout 1.jpg throw out 2.jpg

Dannerr, JT1930 and BeaverMatt like this.
  19. JT1930

JT1930

Burl what trans are you mating up to the banger ? Looks good. I was mocking my rts trans up to my model a bellhousing but there’s no way that’ll work. The input shaft on the trans isn’t long enough. I’ll need a AA bellhousing. Or get the whole Mac’s in New Zealand bell and parts.

20. Looking good, Burl! :-D

It’s a Volvo M40, out of the 544/120/140 series.

Keep ‘em kruzin!

Dannerr

21. Crazydaddyo and Old Dawg like this.
  22. I'm thinking that Bluto might be thinking what I'm thinking: "It might make a good BOAT anchor!" With all due respect for whom built this thing; as far as I know, it wasn't either of the Winfield Bros. (Ed or Bud). Ed Winfield and Art Sparks created "Two-Up/Two-Down" cranks and cams for Model T engines. This had #1 and #2 pistons were up; while #3 and #4. Thus no two Intakes were open at the same time.

The contraption offered on Ebay is a TWO firing cylinder (#2 & #3) two cycle (fires every time the piston nears TDC). It appears that the supercharger (like in 2 cycle diesels) provides positive pressure; and the #1 and # 4 cylinders are negative cylinders pulling the exhaust out of the firing or power cylinders.

In 1931(and a few years in succession) Leon Duray tried a similar design at Indy that had some success in Europe by Arnold Zoller. Duray, running 8 and 8 (total 16 cylinders) experienced tremendous over heating! The Two Banger on Ebay looks like cooling had been a problem. I'm not too sure your average "Coffee Table" would hold it!

Dannerr and Crazydaddyo like this.
  23. I am not sure the coffee table has to hold it, just put a big sheet of glass on top of it!

I was looking at it and it just made no sense, only two firing cylinders.
    The two up/two down was to balance the siamese intake ports on the pair of cylinders. We ran one a couple years ago, wasn't too bad, never had the chance to really tune it before moving to another configuration.

J

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

very Odd engine indeed. Two stroke diesel mated to a T trans. I wish the pictures were clearer.

A good Garage Ornament for sure.

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. You, of course are right, John! I shoulda said "The Siamemised Intakes (of the 2 Up/2 Down Model T Engine. My friend Rick Rawlins has one on a Winfield Special. The sound (and I assume power) is different!

26. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Volvo M40 , would have been easier to go the t-5 route.Theres no kits for the Volvo swap but the transmission is almost the same size as the stock 3 speed and seemed like it should work pretty good.I don't ever seem to do anything conventional just to prove it can be done.I ended up using the AA bellhousing to shorten things up a bit.It required modifying the model a flywheel,using the Volvo clutch and making a throw out bearing housing.Just need to figure out a better mount for the clutch pedal and this whole pile should be ready to go back in.Hope it works.

JT1930 and Dannerr like this.
  27. 97

Who needs a kit? Macspeed is only the bellhousing too. Lots there to figure out. It's been done with Volvo heaps of times before, there is a link deep in the links list on page one of every banger meet.

Artiki's Volvo 4-Spd Swap:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168654&highlight=tech
    the pictures are missing ...I guess due to "fuckedupbucket" but the thread is still informative and some pics later on in the thread work .

JT1930 and Dannerr like this.
  28. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Theres lots of unfinished non published information on how to do this.I found that out after i started this a few years ago.Im not very fast.

JT1930, Dannerr and Yankee Rodder like this.
  29. Burl,

Its all good, I respect your innovation and engineering.
    Afterall, anyone can copy someone else.

J

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I heard awhile back it was going to be in Santa Barbara , but haven't heard since the floods