Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What primer/surfacers are you using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

If you saw my other thread, you know I am thinking of changing primer brands.
    List up what epoxy primers and 2K high build primers you like and why.

2. I haven't used any in a while but have always like the NAPA etching primer. HRP

3. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Upol for the last couple of projects.

4. List of the ones I have used and liked

Ppg industrial epoxy
    Clausen Zchrome
    Sherwin williams /Napa etch and epoxies (don’t use them together)
    Ppg shopline products
    BASF undercoats
    R&M undercoats
    A friend of mine loves southern polyurethane products
    Recently we bought from the HAMBs paint guru. I have liked every product he has recommended

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PPG products exclusively.

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have been using NAPA's Acme line for the last 10 years . It is affordable and I have had great results. But in all fairness I am not doing $10,000.00 plus paint jobs anymore. I use to use PPG when I had my big shop. But as you said in your other post, the cost just got beyond belief! And I found that as time went on they keep changing things and it was not the product it once was. The other thing was availability . When I had the commercial shop, Body shop Supply and Finish Master would deliver because I was on their route. Otherwise I would have to drive 40+ miles to Madison to pick it up. The only place local that sells auto paint is NAPA. I am not a big order it on line kind of guy. I want a place where I can get the product I need and if there does happen to be a problem I can talk face to face with someone. Hope you find something that works. Larry

Roothawg likes this.
  7. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Southern polyurethanes epoxy .

Sporty45, jaw22w and da34guy like this.
  8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use only Axlta products (formerly DuPont), I have never had a problem with any of their products. For primers over bare metal I use Vari Prime (self etch), and for primer-filler I use Chroma Base

9. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've been using HOK's EP-2 epoxy primer for many, many years now. Best part of it is, it's all you need! Great adhesion, better than an etch primer. As good as any epoxy for first coat. It fills extremely well, and sands easily, so no hi-build necessary. And it's a pretty good sealer as well. No need for separate sealer (though I do keep some black and white on hand for very dark or light topcoats)

Roothawg likes this.
  11. I use Kirker's and Summits epoxy and high build primer. I live in a dry area so humidity isn't much of a problem. I wouldn't say this stuff is exactly the same as the higher priced materials but I'm not a real good body man. I end up blocking something about 3 times before I get it straight and the cost of these materials makes me a little happier when I add up the totals. :)

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't see it on their website anymore......

13. Feather fill here... fast build EZ to sand but you MUST use a sealer afterwards before paint.

14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

SPI epoxy primer. Head and shoulders above the rest.
    I have used most all brands. Sands better than any other. Does not clog sandpaper. Half the cost of others.

Sporty45 and da34guy like this.
  15. X 3 SPI, Best epoxy out there, then their 2K hi build

jaw22w likes this.
  16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I use PPG products all the way from bare metal to finish paints with good results.

17. Asking about paint products is like asking Ginger or Marry Ann

Just read the tech sheet, follow instructions and clean and everything should be ok

Your last issue you posted looks like a chemical issue
    I have had chemical issues but found out that my biggest problem was pushing the product. The best example was putting a polyester on top of fresh epoxy. Epoxy dries slow, poly dries super fast. The ploy trapped epoxy solvents causing it to lift. The cure was alowing the epoxy an appropriate window to cure before the poly is applied

RusTnut, tb33anda3rd and KoolKat-57 like this.
  18. Ya guys gotta check PPG CRE diredt to metal Epoxy primer...stuff is high build, ya can tint it, and it sands like butter...it’s from their industrial coatings division. It’s a great product, offers great corrosion protection, and it’s very affordable for what it is..

RusTnut likes this.
  19. I love their industrial stuff
    Rep claims the regular industrial epoxy is the old style DP
    Lays down slick unlike the shopline and newer versions of DP

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Any dealers in our neck of the woods?

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyone ever used this ? Dad bought this a while back.

127CB3AB-6913-419F-933A-1771F228586D.jpeg

22. Call them Direct anutter plus is no shipping 706-781-2200
    Ask 4 a product and pricing sheet.

23. Paint guru here says it’s his best seller and shops love it

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really? Have to try it out.

25. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I read through your other thread and will agree with many that it’s probably the catalyst. Something that may help next time to store your catalyst is to cut a square of plastic bag, put it over the opening, and screw the cap on tight. Will not absorb moisture when stored for an extended period of time.

I have been using PPGs economy line Omni for years. Epoxy over bare metal and all, polyester for build, 2k urethane for final prime. I use 10% reduced Omni epoxy for my sealer. I also use the Omni topcoats with a little tweak okd by PPG. I’ve had fantastic results in hundreds of jobs in a tech college. Omni is about 1/3 the cost of the high end PPG products.

In my home shop I used Eastwood’s epoxy (I’m guessing your problem product) on the last couple builds and had excellent results. There were months between uses of the same cans with no problems, but using my plastic seal. From that base epoxy I used all Omni products as stated above.

Best wishes for luck in solving your problem.

26. PM him for info. A school near me is using it and they like it. It’s from Egypt
    But don’t let that scare ya
    Supposedly made in a former basf plant

Roothawg likes this.
  27. RDR

RDR

On bare metal I used Roddas Barrier III..An Enamel primer. Not in a hurry as it's enamel. Can use hardener in it if wanted. BEST part is about $28 bucks a gallon, (a year ago). Heard about it from a State employee that paints bridges. He called it bridge paint..
    Used it under a tint able primer then the final base/clear Sherwin Williams, Painted in 1997. Car still shows good enough today. Was in GNRS 2019
    [​IMG][​IMG]