Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seeking the most active Hot Rod / Custom Culture area in the USA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Im looking to move! I have nothing holding me here in NC, and I'm interested in finding an area that lives and breaths cars. I have no wife or family, my job will move me, all my old friends young and old have either died or started families and don't have time for an old man like me. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BigO. If this is too OT please delete.

'Mo and Smiffy like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My buddy's are thinning out as well and the ones that are here are getting old and are so set in there ways that I have a hard time talking with them. I tend to talk and listen to everything everyone, recently I put a couple of motors back together I first built in the late 80s and early 90s, one is a 440 mopar that makes 650 hp with a smaller cam than had been run in it in the past, it has castiron heads with my own porting just not how you do things today. But it was built with a great friend who is gone so that's the way it will stay.
    I've made new friends most in there 30s exploring turbos, my 289 was ment to have wind running thru it but life changes have prevented that. I can't physically do what I once did so I've had to back off working on them.
    My point to all this rambling is the car calture isn't were you park your butt, it's what you do with your self and how you get involved. Me personally I'll be knowen as the old fart with the nasty old Fords and Mopars.

chryslerfan55 and Texas Webb like this.
  3. It hard to say this but Los Angeles is.

Look at Socalcarculture.com there is always something to do.
    I would say if you have a vintage sports car/hotrod like a 50’s Corvette, Tbird. Or even a vintage 40’s handmade type sportscar it would fit the bill for a few different genres.

chryslerfan55 and BigO like this.
  4. Thanks, I'm 59 and it seems dead around here as far as cars go, thats why I'm trying to find a more busy and upbeat place to live, I feel I'm not ready to just sit on my ass and say "been there ,done that", I want to keep doing what I love. Hopefully the HAMB can help me do that.

KKrod and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Thanks, right now driving a 47 Ford Coupe.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Go West young Man...

RDR, clem and BigO like this.
  7. Thats my intentions, but where, West is over 3/4 of the country, I've never been past the Big River, I've been from Canada to Fla, and the Outer Banks to Memphis, never West. Hope you guys can help me.

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I lived in Phoenix for a couple years, Awesome car scene, But To damn hot for this white boy, California is probably the Mecca really... But I really dig northern California.. it's not as caught up in The hustle bustle to say....

bigloser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Yeah, I tried that. After 4 years in SoCal I couldn’t wait to leave. Too many people, too much traffic, too damn expensive. BUT hey, weather was always nice and it’s true there’s lots of car stuff going on. Good Luck, Big O.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  10. Thought north and south carolina had a good car culture.

wraymen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you BigO. I am down in Wilmington and there are guys who have cars but they might meet once a month for a coffee session. Maybe a local car show twice a year. Nobody does cruises that I have found. Nobody does old rods, mostly muscle cars, and not many people really care to get into the garage and shoot the shit and spend some time doing something or helping someone else with their build. Kinda lonely out here...

12. It's a not too long drive to central or southern Florida. Lots to do due to the climate.

BigO and rust runner like this.
  13. Thanks, just wanting a place that cars guys enjoy the life style and not all the hype of big money cars.. Thanks

14. Thanks, this the kind of response I'm looking for.

15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my opinion of course, but it looks to me like Oklahoma/Texas is the happening area. It seems like evey time I look online for big events, they are in Dallas, Tulsa, or nearby. If I could relocate, I would head for North Texas.

1stGrumpy and BoilermakerDave like this.
  16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

BigO,
    Lots of issues to kick around.

What is your tolerance for cold and snow (freezing your nuts off)? - Or for hot and sweaty (crotch rot humid)? The lower altitude parts of Arizona have a "Dry Heat", if you can live with 100+ degrees at Midnight... We got a snow fall yesterday (almost 5,000 ft altitude), today is all almost melted, should be all gone by tomorrow.

Lake Havasu, AZ supposedly has an active car scene, I have friends that just could not take the months of relentless high heat.

An important decision, unless you are a big lottery winner, the cost of moving and establishing live in a new community must be carefully considered. What is the cost of living (will there be money left over to build cars and travel to events)?

Are you still wanting to buy a place where you can set up a decent work shop?

Good luck, Russ

Edit: almost 5,ooo ft

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  17. GTS225

GTS225

****************************************************************************************
    Snowbird buddy of mine likes the heck out of the Orlando area. Says on any given weekend, there's about two dozen show/cruises to hit. Weather pattern is highly conducive to the auto enthusiast crowd. There is, admittedly, a high percentage of muscle car era stuff, but it's all good.

Roger

chryslerfan55 and timwhit like this.
  18. It's not too bad if your into driving hours in different directions by yourself to hook up with car people. 3 and 4 hour drives for a one day show is tiring and not much going on in your home area is sad to say the least.

19. My company accounts for moving to new locations (financially, moving and cost of living) and I grew up on a farm where working in the heat was a daily thing and no AC at home, I'm more concerned with the culture than the weather.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

Lots of events and a lot of old car stuff in this area, and down towards Austin. Cost of living here is reasonable, especially if you move out from town a little bit. Plenty of old cars being sold and moved around out here. I'm always seeing something cool on a trailer going down the road.

chryslerfan55, BigO and 1stGrumpy like this.
  21. I'm old but not stupid when comes to moving to different parts of the country, I'm only looking for a car friendly area, I can deal with the rest. Not being an ass in any shape or form just trying to get the point across.. Thanks for trying to remind me of the differences in the locations. BigO

22. I lived in Wilington for 7 years in the late 80s and 90s and had the same problem. Good luck

23. I grew up in SoCal., couldn't wait to get out. Spent 20 years in Phoenix, the older that I got the less that I could handle the heat and the crowds. So to answer your question... as already mentioned Austin, Dallas and Denton areas of Texas. Big time car doings in Tulsa and not to forget the best car show anywhere is in the little town of Dewey, Ok. ( StrayKat 500 & Lead Ain't Dead)! I live in western Arkansas now, been here 25 years, I'm only a couple hours out of Tulsa, Joplin (home of the h.a.m.b. drags), Dallas and Austin. Unless you like living in the city, do what I did.... find ya someplace in the middle. My 2 cents...

WB69, chryslerfan55 and BigO like this.
  24. Thanks, any particular area, Florida is a long state.

25. Thanks, thats an area for me to consider .

26. I'd try to check the car show schedule (gotta be one on line) to see where the busy spots are. Note: The weather is somewhat warmer when you get down around Melbourn. We go there in the winter for a while. Just got back.

27. Thanks.

28. Los Angeles and the surrounding area is probably the Mecca of car culture. BUT... traffic is awful, cost of living is stupid expensive, crime is everywhere, everything I own is illegal there, and there’s no place to park. And that was 20 years ago when I left. It’s worse now.

I like Las Vegas. Enough car culture to keep me happy. Not an everyday thing though.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  29. Thanks so much, that is good info. BigO

chryslerfan55 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  30. robracer1 and chryslerfan55 like this.