Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don Montgomery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Don Montgomery

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Don's books are must-reads for every serious hot rodder. He spent his life documenting how it really was, not for his own enrichment but to pass that which meant so much to him personally to others to come after his and our passing. Our hobby and lifestyle is richer for Don Montgomery's efforts. Thanks, Don, ya' done good.

3. He was a very accommodating HAMB'r, to many also starstruck members. Never one to not answer a conversation, and not be engaging and extremely helpful, in kind. An incredible, and duly noted gift for a surely busy man.

4. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A fitting tribute to a true legend..

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Created his own path...…..that interested others to follow.

Don's books are a must read.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sorry to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family and friends. We have all been enriched by his knowledge and insight. God speed sir.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I didn’t hear of his passing but knew he was getting up there in age. Met him in 1991 at the Street Rod Nats in OKC. Bought the whole set of books from him at that time and he signed them for me. He talked with me for a long time, great guy. RIP Rockerhead

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You had some time with Rockerhead...that's pretty special...and a nice memorial in his leaving us.

Pretty honored to have met this fella even though only virtually through this great Platform The Hamb, who had unquestionably done the walk many times over...

His threads here with the history stand as parts of a legacy of his that will inspire those that care of how great the Hotrod/Custom/Race movement was in all the fog of the big picture...glad I found it...and what a nasty Deuce Coupe he had...

Rest in Peace Hamber Rockerhead

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Don has been an awesome ambassador for the hobby. I don't think there is a more influential voice out there; can you think of one? He experienced it all firsthand, had an infectious enthusiasm, and had a great way with words. RIP!

10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

94AF3538-D84D-432E-811B-ECC606734AF3.jpeg Really sad to hear he passed. I’d always hoped to meet him. I got this book back when it came out. Condolences to his family.

11. Damn. I didn't know he passed away. He was a legend and an important member of the H.A.M.B. :(
    May his legacy live on.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's the first time I met him as well... and got him to sign my books.

That NSRA Nats was the only NSRA event I've ever attended. Met Don, Coonan, The P, Fortier, McPhail, and a few other folks that have changed my life since. Weird deal. I've never even considered going to an NSRA deal since... and yet that single event probably changed me more than any other.

13. Fordors

Fordors

I met him at the CHRR years ago, he was friendly and gracious, and possessed a wealth of knowledge. That photo of him charging off the line on his Willys is especially fitting.
    Godspeed Don, and thanks for the memories.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I had his books before there was this fad called the internet.
    R.I.P. Don

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Absolutely.

R.I.P.

Stogy, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  16. verde742

verde742

First caller bought, have others, let me know yer needs..

loudbang likes this.
  17. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

R.I.P. Don Montgomery our condolences to his family and friends.

18. I also have all Dons books. They are very special to me and kept in a place of honor. Thanks Don for all you did on this earth of hot rods. R.I.P.

Sue Ellingson, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. deucemac

deucemac

I am an especially lucky man. I bought books from Don at various venues over the years. Always in person and always signed by Don. We spent many hours chatting and was always in awe of his encyclopedic memory of days since passed. His blue deuce three window inspired me to install F2 brakes on my own roadster. He leaves a void of knowledge that his wonderful books can only partially fill. R I P Don.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had not read any of his books until recently although I have heard many good things about them. I just checked out a copy of "Hot Rod Memories, Relived Again" through my regional library system and it's at home, sitting on my coffee table as I type this. About a quarter of the way through it, great read. The pics alone are priceless!
    Never met him but sad to hear that he has passed. He's joined a stellar crew of founders, movers and shakers who have recently gone on. RIP, Don Montgomery.

Sue Ellingson and Stogy like this.
  21. bonesy

bonesy

What a great contribution to the hot rod world. I've literally read the covers off more than a couple of his books. RIP.

Sue Ellingson, deucemac and Stogy like this.
  22. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Don’s books helped to change everything. He opened up the scrapbooks of the past to lead us into the future. Without that lead, there’s a good chance we wouldn’t be where we are now. His books remain the best source of reference, regardless of what you might find on the internet.

A gentlemen and a scholar, the world won’t be the same without him.

RIP Don.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt...just a nudge for those who may not be aware...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Blues4U likes this.
  24. Talked to him on the phone a couple of years back while doing some research on a Russetta timing tag I acquired. He mailed me a xerox copy of his old Velociteers club plaque. Super nice man. Godspeed Sir.

25. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

26. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it was a Model A Coupe...

28. I'm a little surprised that this mans passing has been so muted..........I have his books and even here in Oz they have shown me what it must have really been like back then..............thank you doesn't seem enough but is said in all sincerity, my condolences to his friends and family.......Andy Douglas

Sue Ellingson, Muttley and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be fair this post by Ryan is not really outwardly written as a memorial and may easily be overlooked as a story about the Late Don as there is no real indication till later is his story that he had passed. @HEMI32's thread is more visibly a memorial thread but nonetheless both speak of a man who spent his life around the Hotrod/Custom/Race evolution and documented and shared it.

On top of that he found The Hamb a place where he could be like all of us...a member and a voice in just talking Hotrod...

Here is the link to @HEMI32's Memorial Thread...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rip-don-rockerhead-montgomery.1140553/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Sue Ellingson and deucemac like this.
  30. What a great loss to the world of "Hot Rods", the HAMB and mostly to his family and friends. R.I.P.