Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Radiator to fan distance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Morning All.
    I am looking at putting a full hood on my 30 AV8 and it taking some measurements I have found that the top of the radiator is laid back a little over an inch to far to allow the hood to be fitted. In the current configuration the fan is about 1 inch from the rad.
    If it move the top of the rad forward I will have a bit over two inches between the fan and rad.
    My question is, how much will this harm cooling (especially if there is a full hood fitted)?
    Thanks for the info.
    Chappy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

1" is the gold standard I believe. At lease that's where I put mine after a lot of research on it.

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

A shroud would help , but two inches should be fine.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Can you post pics please?

5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Add a descent shroud and it'll cool better than ever even if the fan is two yards behind the radiator.

6. dwollam

dwollam

Try it before investing in a shroud. Aluminum radiator? Should cool well. Any cooling issues now?

Dave

7. Yes. Aluminum radiator. No cooling issues now aside from hot days in heavy traffic...gets into the 200* area.
    Just cant figure why it was assembled this way. The tabs at the bottom of the rad sit flush on the crossmember now. If I move the top forward would I need to wedge the trailing edge of the mount tab? It will be raised up off the crossmember a bit.
    Thanks again
    Chappy

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm building a 30 with an 8BA and a 32 grill shell with the stock hood and have about 1 1/2" fan clearance, I had a 28 with a flathead and had a couple of inches clearance and it never cooled quite right.

Attached Files: