Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

That's great news! I hope it all goes well for you. I wish we were close as I would be glad to help on your car. Gary

loudbang likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps there is still a chance down the road of some involvement with Rexrods for example the bodywork...as you poke around at things your vision on how you want to execute the project may change...

Regardless I like the others look forward to the continued forward movement...

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Not sure how we missed this option.

Just have Keith/Rex rods make the chassis sound again. Then it’s done right, you put the car together the rest of the way and it doesn’t cost you as much as having the whole car built

4. alchemy

alchemy

I like Tim's comment. Setting up the chassis for a safe and easy to drive hot rod is not for the newbie. Since the crappy driving comment was one of the main things you remember about the old car, maybe having Rex Rods do a few tweaks to improve it would be money well spent. Stuff like setting up a solid center X member, mounting the rear axle so it articulates properly/safely and making sure the front axle combo is going to steer nicely while providing a safe suspension. I'm sure you could take it from there and do cleanup and paintwork on your own. Once the fab is done to make it safe, the rest is basically "restoring".

5. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well I don't recall mentioning going to a muffler shop to have them build Riff's car anywhere but I did say a frame or body shop. I was thinking about the use of a frame rack or having them check things like condition of welds etc. I mentioned racers and off roaders not to design anything for him but because a lot of them actually build there own stuff and are competent welders etc. A good example would be assisting him in installing proper era correct modifications. Maybe even installing 42-48 X member lol.

loudbang, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I agree with Tim and Alchemy, the chassis is the important part to get right first.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  7. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

That is an option. The car is already apart, so there's not a lot of dismantling. Thanks.

loudbang, Stogy and jimgoetz like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah your st a point where your excited to get going and being overloaded with options. Just make sure to take a breath and look at all the options.

If the guys at Rex rods aren’t into doing just the chassis I would ask if they could recommend someone local. From where I’m standing the chassis is the most thought, math, and geometry involved of the process. If you have the chassis sorted the rest of the car is easy.

Even wiring the car with a prefab kit is super easy, just a lot of time to run it and make it nice.

I still have 100% faith in ya.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

52 he's already been pretty darn busy with things and he revived the upholstery and done a fair bit of wrenching, so the steps have began already.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This frame has been perhaps narrowed for its A Body and 32 fender Mods...so I know you have suggested to ditch the Pinch but couldn't the X Member in either case of these two vendors be just trimmed and fitted?

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I thought the frame measured out with stock bolt holes? , it would be pretty rare for an old hotrod to have a pinched frame

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember some measuring going on way back when it was being discussed...so unpinched should make that install even more straightforward...

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

For starters I would replace the rear crossmember with this, good chance the old rivet holes are still in the frame to line up with these. https://www.est1946.com/1932loweredrearcrossmember.aspx
    This one flattened out, should give you close to the ride height you already had. A stock '32 rear crossmember would really create space between tire and fender.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. 1949*john

1949*john

son you have a gold mine there so why not fix whats wrong and drive it like your dad would have ? the chassis would have a henry vin number on it so that shows its a real ford chassis - if it were me I wouldn't build a new car . just my 2 cents

cactus1 and flatford39 like this.
  17. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

That one would be better than a 32 cross for another reason also. You would have to use a 32 spring or do some grinding. The 32's have a slight curve to them.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Though it's another different subject, one can use a FRONT spring from '40 ford in a stock '32 rear crossmember. I have not read each post lately, hard to keep up with all subscribed. Is the owner still plan to use the late 50's chevy rear end?

jimgoetz likes this.
  19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh...I think that is more or less the plan...just a couple of minor adjustments to undo past adjustments...

@RiffRaffRoadster are you going 3 pedal?...perhaps a stock type x-member cannot be used with the current trans...

I'm not up on this setup...

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  21. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Sorry for the delay in posting. I think we’re in business. A local builder I’ve been talking to just took the car to his shop. He ‘gets’ the plan to keep the car as original as possible and just clean it up and do some mild upgrades. He’s affordable. And he’s ok with me helping occasionally and willing to teach me basic welding. He’s done hot rods and concourse-levels builds. He’s working on one other car (1931 Packard Roadster) so he’s not buried in work. We’ll see how it goes - I’ll post updates. Thanks everyone for all the great advice and suggestions. If all goes according to plan, I hope to be driving by Fall.
    IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2554.JPG IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2560.JPG IMG_2557.JPG IMG_2559.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, brEad, scott27 and 10 others like this.
  22. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Yes sir-plan to change out the auto TH350 with a Muncie 3 speed. Still deciding best way to arrange pedals. Swing from top or bolt to x-member (need to find one).

jimgoetz, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Sound like your moving in the right direction. Wish my shop was that spacious and organized. If I had more space, I would have more clutter.

24. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

By the way-he shares the shop with another guy, so that’s not the truck he’s working on - just the Packard. You can see the body on the lift and the chassis, fenders and straight 8 engine. That thing is a beast.

David Gersic, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Same problem I have

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sounds great, hope it all works out for the best, please keep us up to date with pictures as the build goes on! :cool:

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Pleasant turn of events...the resurrection continues...have fun and please share the journey Riff...we're all eyes and opinions...:D...oh...and of course full of advice...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    RiffRaffRoadster and loudbang like this.
  28. Do yourself a favor and put in a 5 speed. The overdrive is killer in something you want to drive regularly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I wish I could find a bigger version of this pic but this is circa early 60s or around there and that A looks Aces...;)

There is no mention of this Roadster at the site were it leads but I thought it would provide some reassurance that it will look really awesome when done...

http://wediditforlove.com/Burkholder.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    catdad49 and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang