Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Something is just not quite right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 15, 2019.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ like highlanders!!-doing a 39 woody-dash is also woodgrained and same gauges AC vent behind speaker grill

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

HRP that dash is quiet nice, i mean quite nice

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. With the dash in our wagon I am sure Ford did a exemplary job with the design but I like to see what the engine is doing and not depend on idiot lights to come one when there is a problem, I do like the machine turned panel and knew I wanted to retain that look but the gauges were a must.

Relocating the headlight and wiper knobs to ether side of the steering wheel where the fresh air vent cables one resided helped clean up the machine turned insert also doing away with the clock improved the look.

I filled in the ashtray to improve the symmetry of the heat & air vents trying to make them look like they could have been done in 1954. HRP

4. This is the dash in the '50 Chevy I just bought. Way too street roddy for me, for sure!! (I bought it because the price and the outstanding quality of the build, in general, won me over.) I'm planning to put back much of the Art Deco gingerbread and a bouquet of switch knobs will be added. The steering wheel, the column, and the speaker kick panels are also getting the ax. Actually, the whole audio system is gon'na go or be tucked away. (Note the head unit between the seats.)When the budget allows, there's a manual trans on the wish list. It might make better sense to do the column when the trans is done if I can stand it that long. Stay tuned for updates. :cool:

*I keep thinking of things* I want a color change on the red to a chestnut brown.

IMG_2434.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. Thank you sir. HRP

[​IMG]

A lot of hammer work to make a flat vent fit in the concave portion of the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I totally agree.

Hnstray, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

I don't have mine back together yet but I will be making this slight modification. I did not like the idiot lights for OIL and GEN. I decided to black out that section of my dash pod and instead replace the clock and tach with "dual" gauges.
    original.JPG concept2.jpg

8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I generally prefer to keep a stock looking dash in my old rides. But in the case of my '51 Plymouth I went further and made a new center section to replace the stock radio area.

A stock '51 -

51 plm dash stock.jpg

my restyled one -
    51 Plm dash grn.jpg

waxhead, Texas57, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  9. This one DSCN5203.JPG
    This one is hanging on my garage wall.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. [QUOTE="seb fontana, /QUOTE]

Looks like a lot of engine set back, what are you running? HRP

12. 34 dash with insert.JPG G box back.JPG DSCN4705.JPG This dash is for my 34 roadster. It came with 6 holes drilled in it for dolphin gauges. I filled all the round holes & made new ones where necessary & sold the gauges. Cut out & made the glove box from poster board & covered the insides. The door was made from an old speed limit sign(scraped by the county) & insulated with a piece of foam,then a back was made & it was folded on the door. Then I found some hot chick's leather short skirt @ the thrift store for $.50 & I covered the dash with black leather from the skirt. The gauge insert was made from the same sign. & 4 studs & nuts were added to attach it from the back. Undecided on the finish of the door & gauge panel. Might just have a try @ engine turning on them. DSCN4705.JPG
    pic of earlier 6 gauges.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    VANDENPLAS, tofords and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. This one is outstanding!

Texas57, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. I agree for the most part, we can use my '39 I posted earlier in this thread as an example.
    PO had already altered it, didn't finish it, but was beyond restoring to original '39 Deluxe look.
    Stock '39 Deluxe dash's are beautiful, and I would have prefered that, but each cars build dictates which path to take..my '39 is an old HOTROD, 283, three deuce, 4spd, old lacquer paint, etc, so it seems to really fit my no frills basic HOTROD theme, I've got going on with it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. The thread title hooks you in like it's going to show you something wrong. :p
    But all I see are wonders of creativity. :rolleyes:
    Usually, the early rods get the lion's share of attention, with their plaque-like gauge clusters. It's nice to see the scales tipping toward the 50s, plus or minus a decade, in this thread.
    Keep the pix coming, keep sharing.

Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

17. There is no doubt in my mind a original Deuce dash is a thing of beauty but when I added a overhead V8 I went with the next best thing, the ensign boat dash insert. HRP

[​IMG]

18. I too believe that the dashboard is one of the most important things to build right, to the owner’s taste. I spent hundreds of hours doing the dash and steering wheel on my 1929 Ford cabriolet.
    [​IMG]
    A Model A dash is basic and one was already posted, albeit modified. Mine is a deuce sheet metal panel with a 1928 Chrysler instrument panel mounted from behind. Two switch/lever holes are filled with Amber rhinestone blinkers. I made two smaller panels for switches. I spent half a year practicing to do the wood graining.
    [​IMG]
    Below is a Harrison- 1937 Oldsmobile heater box, barely seen.

waxhead, Texas57, Stooge and 7 others like this.
  19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

interior58.JPG

speedhut.jpg

waxhead, 32SEDAN and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. pkhammer

pkhammer

Russ B. Your time was well spent! Your dash and wheel is simply stunning!

Russ B likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bob, to me that is the “ traditional “ dash. That’s what most of the guys did back when I was in high school and that indicates a “ full set” of gauges done right. I like it.

Edit. Also the aftermarket floor shift, comes right out of the sixties.

Bones

22. My old '46 Ford Business Coupe with a Bitchin' Product's dash...

27.png

My 1951 Oldsmobile's dash...

9.jpg Think that I'm going to leave it pretty much stock!

waxhead and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

Here is my Deuce dash and glove box door.
    Followed by my 38 Chevy.
    Followed by a 32 wall hanger dash that I bought on Ebay.

24. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

25. Simple 36 PU, make plate, drill holes, paint, use DCP_2618.JPG IMG_20151002_074746_017.jpg

Black_Sheep and 38 Chevy like this.
  26. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

radio speaker grill panel on my 40 Ford, engine turned panel from speedway, controls for a/c, heated seats, cruise control, switches below for ign, lights, wipers, power point 1216141529.jpg

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

IMG_4201.JPG Here is the dash from my 1948 Olds 98 convertible. It looks mostly stock, radio and speaker are gone with a different radio, and A/C vents added.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  28. The original in my '40 Plymouthwas really beat up when I started so I felt no pain in customizing it, I still wanted to keep the old car feel so I "borrowed" gauges and trim from other years and makes that I liked.
    Much better shape stock
    40plymouthinterior.jpg
    My version
    IMG_20170613_190707877.jpg

AndersF likes this.
  29. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Somewhat improved bitchen in my 48

Attached Files:

30. Russ B, Where did you get the perforated metal and those beautiful dash knobs?
    Thanks