Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical NPT thread, how to measure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neilswheels, Feb 15, 2019.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Quick one, trying to find out what the thread size is on my rochester 2g's. I've conatcted a few 'experts', but there doesnt seem to be a 'standard'. I want to run banjo fittings, the carbs came with solid fuel lines and tube nuts, The nuts measure 1/2" across the thread, but I need a thread 'pitch' to get the right banjo fittings. I checked for 'thread gauges' like you would use on a regular thread, but there doesnt seem to be anything, not at least on the world oracle 'google'. Any help appreciated

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. i'm not a 2G expert , but i think they use a 5/16 inverted flare fitting on the fuel line. i believe they use 1/2-20 nuts

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Are you sure you are looking for NPT (National Pipe Taper)?

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There is more than one thread size for the 2gs

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

i know nothing about rochesters, but a banjo fitting is not using pipe thread. its straight common thread for the size of the bolt you are using. usually, fine thread, but not always.

rockable, VANDENPLAS and Blues4U like this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Banjo fittings have a straight thread, not NPT. I believe the 2G inlet is 1/4" NPT, and typical installations use inverted flare with an adapter. You'll need an adapter for something like 3/8" - 24 to 1/4" NPT, or whatever size your banjo fitting is.

9. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

Mine measures 1/2-20 thread on 5/16 flare tubing, Probably different 2G sizes out there, but "tube nuts" are not NPT generally , big difference between tube sizes and pipe sizes.

deathrowdave and rockable like this.
  10. Do you have the gauge set from tap and die set?

11. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

A96B9F5A-3C42-4355-A73D-9E7F00AB9F9D.jpeg
    With photo 5/16 line has 1/2-20 nuts

rockable likes this.
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

2GC carb inlets are inverted flare not NPT. Should be 3/8 inverted flare

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I think it is 3/8 line my memory is fuzzy sometimes so maybe it is 5/16. For some reason I think it is the same as a Q-jet which is 3/8

14. F&J

F&J

Yes there are.

2g outboard carbs & the center 2gc on 55-57 Olds tri-power were NPT threaded front inlet with no integral filter in the top cover. 348 Chevy tri-power in 58 was NPT, but then went to side inlet with inverted flare in the integral filter "nut" for 59-up.

I am somewhat sure the 55 Olds single 2 barrel (2gc) engine was also NPT threaded inlet. 56 Olds had a non-2gc model single 2 barrel.

look in this pic, you can see a NPT elbow into the carb top that accepts a flared line.
    j2.jpg

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's the nice thing about standards, there are so many to choose from.

Rich S. likes this.
  16. 2 jets have 2 size threads (the inverted flair is on the filter nut into the carb). The one with the filter nut (front feed large base and side feed small base) which is a straight thread (with a gasket) AND the front feed/side feed small base that is pipe thread (used on factory tri power and older V8s).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.