Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Dec 20, 2018.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

thank you!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sounds like your paint / interior scheme should be good.

oliver westlund likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

oh cool! i thought it was pretty neat finding that paper!

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

hey! question...i know this would require me to switch to an open driveline but would a 57 f100 4 speed trans be a good option for me? i have a chance to buy one right now, itd get bolted behind my 292y block
    Screenshot_20190215-100948_Samsung Internet.jpg

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A T18 truck four speed? If that is what you are looking at, no.

7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

okay thanks!

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

best thing about this forum! you guys have already saved me several hundred dollars of wild goose chases! its much appreciated

9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

are there ANY floor shift y block transmissions i should keep an eye out for? or should i just buy an adapter?

10. If you're looking for a bolt-on deal, no. The only trans Ford installed behind the Y-block with a floor shift was the truck boxes, and most of them are like shifting a box of rocks. They'll have granny low too, which unless you're planning on some heavy towing will be worthless.

For a low-buck deal, I'd look for a cast-iron case Ford toploader overdrive. It won't have a tower shifter, it will have external linkage, but some minor machine work on the input bearing cover and re-drilling the mounting holes will allow use without an adaptor. There's truck versions and car versions, the car version will have better ratios in most cases. Rebuild kits are cheap...

11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

cant i still use the jeep top shifter conversion if i go that route?

12. I'm no expert on those, but I believe you can. It'll just be the matter of finding one. I'm not personally a fan of those as I consider it a step backwards in performance as they don't shift as well as a well-set-up external linkage will.

13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i hear you, i am going to run a bench seat though so shifter location is a factor too... i think for now i am going to run an early trans with torque tube on the 292. in the meantime i will rebuild my 394 olds and make decisions about motor, trans, rearends... decent period performance is the end game but for now i just want it road worthy. Im just trying to make sure i dont pass on something now I may want later!

14. Keep in mind that for an accurate 'traditional' build, you'd find either the OEM column linkage or aftermarket floor linkage. A lot of guys now use tower-type shifters/trans but those were used on pre-war cars back in the day, they were very rare back then on post-war cars built in the late '40s/'50s.

And the factory Ford linkage for those 4-speed OD trans isn't all that bad. It's possible to tighten it up considerably with a bit of work, even relocate it forward if need be. As long as the linkage isn't mounted at the end of the tailshaft, it should clear the seat.

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i think what got me started on that path is someone had previously installed one of those prewar floor shifts in this car, theres a hole there and it just felt like preserving the cars history, i think it was always a flathead though, not positive

16. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

on another note...i finally played with the 292 today, cut the fuel line and stuck a fresh red top in there, cranked it and it cranked great! i cranked it for 4 or 5 bursts to try to get oil back through it (looks decent on the dipstick), sprayed starter fluid but no pops, tomorrow i will pull the cap and feather sand the points, im sure thats a problem if not the problem, all of this was in a stupid oregon downpour thats been going on for days of course so i got wet and cranky and called it a day
    20190215_164823.jpg

17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

attempt 2 to start the 292 was a bust, pulled the cap and it had all new internals, i would guess somebody was getting lost in electrical issues in the past too haha took a closer look at the carb and its toast... it is rusted SOLID i hit it with a hammer haha its done, grab the fork! either way i feel good, this old 292 cranks over nice, doesnt make any odd sounds cranking, not that it really would. i think im just gonna pull it and get it in a stand and start poking around!

18. greaser

greaser

Did the engine come up to good oil pressure as you were cranking it? Did you do compression test?
    If oil pressure and compression is good, I would change the oil, replace the junk carb, and get it running before it comes out. It's in a great covered stand as it is.

slv63, jimgoetz and oliver westlund like this.
  19. patsurf

patsurf

he's right!!

20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

anybody know what guage wire is the majority of the dash harness? im about to order some original style cloth braided stuff by the foot but i want to get the right guage

21. If you go with #14 that will cover most of the dash stuff, but be aware that will be too light for some of it.

22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

awesome, thanks!

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

didnt do much today, finished painting my column and the collar is on... i stepped back to admire it and realized now it going to have to wear a trash bag for a bit haha i still have a ton of interior cleanup! sterring wheel, column and dash are ready now though! one of my next steps will be pulling my wirimg harness and rebuilding it wire by wire... should be fun haha 20190218_133949.jpg

24. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

well i made a little progress today. the weather has been aweful here and made progress slow. today i pulled the front seat and decided to pull the pop riveted pieces of tin off the floor and see what my prize is!
    20190219_153944.jpg
    the answer is...bout what i expected...
    20190219_154516.jpg
    the underside of my trunk looks sweet at least!
    20190219_154712.jpg

25. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

hey i dont know much about torque tubes...is this hole normal? is there a cover for it or something?
    20190219_153414.jpg

26. topher5150

topher5150

It's for the speedo turtle

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

ah...that makes sense, thank you

28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

question! can i just use stock f100 mounts for the 292? they seem like theyd work? Screenshot_20190219-204248_Samsung Internet.jpg
    i stole the pics from frames thread ford in a ford

29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

my assistant was on the job today, he got a pretty big kick out of the fact that the front seat was missing!
    20190221_131102.jpg 20190221_131113.jpg
    im wondering...i just looked at my 2 heater control panels, 1 has 3 knobs, D, H, and air...the other just has D and H whats the difference? is it a 46-47 difference?

30. Defrost, heat and fresh air...the three knob one had a fresh air heater. The other is a standard heater.

On the mounts, those you posted are not F100 mounts. They are aftermarket. All pickups and large trucks used a front style engine mount. Cars took side mounts. Hurst did make a mount that would work with the stock Ford mounts on your front cross member (and maybe a little work). I would look for one of them unless you wanted to add a motor mount. Speedway sells an engine mount tube that works for FE's (big block Fords). It will also work for Y blocks as they have the same mount placement.