Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lost custom found need help identifying

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tiki-elvis, Feb 15, 2019.

1. tiki-elvis

tiki-elvis

Sold to museum

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Lepus and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

somtimes lost is a good thing o_O

dana barlow, belair, jvo and 22 others like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

I was hoping my eyes were telling my brain the truth at 4 am. I see by your post we are of the same opinion.

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

"'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy"
    Jimi H, 1967

5. $21K in 1951 was very ill spent....

Paint the nose bullet with a red pinwheel, slap a bulb horn and some plastic flower stickers on it, and get a clown suit. You'll be a hit in every parade...

jvo, TagMan, zzford and 5 others like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

I like some of it, but I don't like all of it. Good Luck with your quest.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like a Popular Mechanics feature car.

Bob

8. Is there a top with it?
    Is the rear windshield on a pivot? Does it flip over the rear seat into a rear window position?
    I don't have any info on the car, just curious.

9. BJR

BJR

I wonder how many clowns would come out of that car when you opened the door?:D

chryslerfan55, Clay Belt and 54vicky like this.
  10. oldolds

oldolds

Amazing that someone would buy about the cheapest new car ($1300) and spend nearly 10 times that on customizing it. While it is not the style of car that we accept now as a cool custom car, I have seen quite a few picture of cars done in that style. Top cut off, cut down doors, ect. It actually looks like a parade car. Maybe something done by a big company for a promotion or sponsor of a parade.

chryslerfan55 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  11. Quirky....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. 54vicky

54vicky

I would think a misplaced decimal should read $21.00 even that would have been a stretch.there is a good chance it was conceived in a drug induced nightmare

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

Those mocking this car obviously weren't around in 1951. Better they should do some serious research on the trends of that period of time instead of making fun of it. This Henry J is a top-shelf example of the kind of customizing being done by the Popular Mechanics set at the time and it is a miracle that it has survived virtually intact. Hopefully this museum-worthy car will be restored and displayed as a tribute to what else was going on in the world while Sam and George were chopping Mercs...

wvenfield, jebbesen, Dago 88 and 25 others like this.
  14. Interesting car. The style reminds me of the Jolly cars built in the 1950/60ies. Must have been quite popular in those days:

https://www.velocetoday.com/why-is-the-jolly-so-jolly/

The "J" in Henry J clearly stands for Jolly in this case.

Still I Can't believe that it cost 21.000,- $ in 1951. This seems way to much. What did a full Barris Custom cost back in the day for example?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I seriously doubt that custom was lost. I'm sure hidden was more likely the case. What were these people thinking of?

54vicky, RDR, zzford and 2 others like this.
  16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I would forget the dual cowl phaton look, replace the front windshield with a more stylish Duval inspired one , paint it all red to eliminate the add on look of the door inserts. Redo the interior and it would make a cool cruiser. I would much rather see this at a show or cruise in than another 4 door rusty "Barn Find" car that everyone seems to think is so cool! Larry

Texas57, dan31, mountainman2 and 4 others like this.
  17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^Yep, as you and 37 kid mentioned, it looks like it rolled right out of an old Popular Mechanics magazine. Chances are, it may have been featured in the magazine.
    While it's not what comes to mind when we think of an early 50's Custom, and certainly not "in" (or acceptable) today, these 'cut down door' style were a style of Custom back then. I've seen 34, 40 Ford open cars done up in the style. This one goes to extremes with the flip over boat wind screen, etc.

The $21,000 figure seems outrageous (unless he got hosed). In 1951, that money would have bought you a house, a new Mercury and money left over to customize it.
    What did Hirohata have invested in his Merc? I've seen early labor rate sheets for Barris' shop. $21k would have gone far.

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The styling is kinda boatish witch fits for Florida, but it's fugly.

19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Exactly.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I kinda like it. I don't know if I "get" the rear windshield (?) treatment, but it's quirky, mid-century cool, and a neat time capsule. Don't let the negative commenters get you down. I'd make it operable, and just have fun with it.

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The more I think about this post I wonder if the 21,000 dollar price reflected a small fleet of these cars for one of the up and coming resorts of the time or a taxi type service centered in a resort area. maybe not now but back in the 50's seeing the sites in something like this would have seemed a lot cooler than some plain jane 4 door taxi cab. even now I think it would be. your choice , this or a Prius ! lol doesn't seem like such a bad car now does it! lol Larry

Surfcityrocker and Clay Belt like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it wasn't lost... it was hiding

23. froghawk

froghawk

Given the quality of workmanship and detail, especially in the grill and taillight bezels, along with the styling, has me wondering if this might be a Kaiser factory custom that a designer like Dutch Darrin or Brooks Stevens might have had a hand in.

24. I always wondered where the old saying "A Fool and his money are soon parted" came from. This may very well be the starting place.

25. Hyfire

Hyfire

Neat car. I hope someone recognizes it.

While these things look a little awkward in photos... in real life they are neat as hell.

26. Hyfire

Hyfire

Amazing condition too...

Surfcityrocker and 49ratfink like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

another HAMB post where people follow the popular opinion. if the first few posters said it was really cool that would have been the theme. I see it all the time.

would someone build that today? no. is it cool nonetheless? yes

hidez57, Dago 88, stanlow69 and 18 others like this.
  28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

sure different. I actually kinda like it. If probably set that rear windshield aside as it messes with the flow.

dan31, 49ratfink and Surfcityrocker like this.
  29. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You might try Rik Hoving or Kustomrama .Good luck finding some history!

30. Dyce

Dyce

If I remember right the Henry J was a unibody car. I wonder what they did to brace it all up to remove the top?