Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HAMBer engineers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King ford, Feb 14, 2019.

1. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

greetings fellow HAMBers, with the wealth of knowledge collected here on the HAMB ( and many thanks to Ryan and the crew!) I was curious as to the number of mechanical engineers we may have. Myself and I believe many fellow HAMBers have a pretty good understanding of many concepts but I can't be the only member that occasionally would like the advice of someone who definitely KNOWS....as always any feedback GREATLY APPRECIATED!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I have a degree, but I forgot most of what I learned....it was a long time ago!

there are some practicing engineers that should be able to help you, though.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are describing the perfect "jury" of my peers. 12 engineers. Hell 2 can't decide on the same answer, I want 12 on my jury......:rolleyes:

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I have a Psychology degree but I'm most proud of my "Hot Rod" degree....

Just Gary, Dino 64 and King ford like this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm no help...My degree is the 'Nth'.

2FordGuy likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Everybody "knows"

7. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I work as a mechanical designer, in the auto business here in metro Detroit. I did not finish my degree, but I started out as a fabricator and worked myself into the field. I have been doing automotive design (CAD) work for about 25 years now. I currently work for Neapco Driveline designing driveline components (half shafts and driveshafts). If you have driveline questions I can probably help, if not I can find someone who can.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got a thermostat and it has many degrees plus it's on the wall. That should cover everything but the trains run about a half mile south of town.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

How many electrical engineers can't wire a car?

Bob

10. pitman

pitman

Yup. Learned more in de Garage tour tho.

Montana1 likes this.
  11. Sr. Mechanical Engineer here, or at least that is what my official title is.

Learned more turning wrenches and working on the farm than I did at the University.

12. I am right behind squirrel. Mech Engineering degree, 3 years structure design on the first 747's, 2 years marine design (LHA/DD963), and 30 years in finance for a company that wanted someone who understood the technology when making a cost proposal.

Charlie Stephens

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Mechanical Engineer - Purdue, most of my knowledge is related to cars that only make left turns.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  14. Registered Mechanical Engineer, University of Texas, 1968.. lifetime of FLIR, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical Systems design for Commercial Buildings... Retired (nobody would hire me at 75)....forgot most of it by now... hahaha

Shutter Speed and King ford like this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worked with many registered civil engineers while employed with the legal division of a state department of transportation. Some were sharp as a tack and others not so much. Point is a degree or registration numbers after your title doesn't necessarily mean anything. JMO.

loudbang, LWEL9226, clem and 3 others like this.
  16. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I retired as a senior engineering lab. tech. I always said they paid me to fix engineering mistakes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Seems to me most mechanics hate engineers, and the feeling is vice versa. Spend much time in a shop and you'll hear plenty of curses hurled at the damn engineer who built a car a certain way. I always heard it's due to mechanics stealing women away from engineers, and the engineers revenge is to build cars in ways that prevent mechanics from being able to make flat rate.

That reminds me of a joke. 3 women were discussing their husbands and the first one said her husband was a hair dresser, and all ever wanted to do was tease it. The 2nd one said her husband was a cop, and all he ever wanted to do was lock it up. The 3rd on said her husband was a mechanic, he tore it up the first night and has been working on it ever since.......... badda bing, badda boom! :D

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my degree at HKU.

King ford likes this.
  19. oldolds

oldolds

Went to the school of hard knocks! Earned a roofers card. That lets you work on anything! At least that is the standard joke in my neck of the woods.

King ford and winduptoy like this.
  20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is a Mechanical Engineer and my daughter is in college in her fourth year of a Mechanical Engineering program,. Me... not so much, but I'm still more useful in the garage than both of them put together. :)

skip65, Rich S., Fordors and 3 others like this.
  21. Under graduate in ME, 5 MS in Aero, Navarch, welding, Eng Mech, Physics, PhD in Fracture Mechanics. Designed tail structure for L-1011, new wings for C-130, last job was Technical Director for USN nuclear subs at Navy HQ (10 years).

pitman, Hnstray, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  22. I gots a degre in engelish

23. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Degree from GMI (now Kettering). When the General brought me back to Michigan to be a part of a Skunkworks project at the Milford Proving Ground they called me an engineer (Sr. Project Eng.) but what we were working on was so far off from being HAMB friendly... We designed a computer to interrogate a vehicle's on-board systems to help the guys in the field figure out what the heck went wrong with the screwy computers. This is why I like working on my old caveman cars. No binary digits to ruin your day!

King ford, pitman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Me two

25. actually, just a teaching certificate and a bunch of ASEs

lumpy 63, King ford and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I got my engineering degree many years ago, been working in the field since then. It's a Masters in SWAG, that would be Scientific Wild Assed Guess :<)

King ford and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

Mechanical Engineer. Im sure you all know that the % of engrs that sit and design all day is pretty low in comparison to the number of engrs there are. Even fewer work with finite element analysis.

I tried it, it sucked staring at a screen all day. Nothing was from scratch, you took an existing design and jiggled it around enough to suit the needs of the next design criteria. Boring.

Operations, facility engineer, manufacturing based cost negotiation - that landed me in purchasing. Oh boy....thats a different world.

King ford and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sr. Mechanical (Aerospace)
    Retired...if that counts.

Mike

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    King ford likes this.
  29. pitman

pitman

How many E.E.'s does it take to change a light bulb?
    One, but the light has to want
    to change!

30. HAMB Metallurgist here, not mechanical engr but have this piece of paper that says I am a Metallurgical Engr, at least by degree.

pitman and King ford like this.