Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. The top photo shows an Aftermarket sealed beam conversion that was available in the day, which also looks similar to '40 Ford. The bottom photo shows stock Willys which is a multi piece headlight assembly that uses a reflector, bulb and lens

2. Also back in the early gasser days the rules said that the car must be capable of being driven on the street, and stock 6 volt bulbs were never very bright. Those conversions were available, and did provide a bit better headlights, but with 6 or even 8 volt batteries they were never very good at night. Even today it is not easy to get a decent beam of light, with 12 volt systems. BRITE...yes but not a good beam by today's standards...I have tried several different setups, and am not satisfied yet. Even if you do get a decent beam of light...with the nose up, or nose down look, it is not easy to get decent light on the front end of a Willys. Very easy to over drive your headlights at night. Followed many a semi home at night to make way for all the deer in our area. Here's what I did on my '36, a new reflector and halogen bulbs...Very bright, but not a good beam... g-willys DSCN0046 (1).JPG g-willy

3. Thank you for the answer! I've seen so many pictures of cars with the aftermarket style that I thought they had to have been stock.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

5. loudbang

loudbang

Look at the top of the page in some threads in the HAMB logo section there is a nice photo with the larger buckets. Don't know why but the logo changes and you see it in some threads but not others. :confused:

Stebo27, loner2, 1947knuck and 2 others like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

7. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

We've been attending Steve Castelli's Annual New Years Day Party for many years now.
    Here's a few shots from this years party,
    Mick Castellis NYD party 2019 009.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 009.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 010.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 011.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 012.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 013.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 014.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 015.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 016 - Copy.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 017.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 018.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 019.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 003.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 006.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 007.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 008.JPG

8. shoebox lou

shoebox lou

This is lou didonato this was my car. Lous automotive. Your dads friend lived down street fro m me. Im trying to post my pics so people can see don't know how. I have theVitar 1940 willys sedan. I got a lot of willys gasser pics from the day.

Attached Files:

EVL401, enloe, porkshop and 8 others like this.
  9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Lou how the hell are you? This is Pat, I had the steel 40 Willys coupe bright yellow, was in Vintage Tin while you were in LISRA. You still have the sedan? I think my brother Mike bought some Willys sedans from you. Holy cow I can't believe your on Hamb. Post more.

Pat

Attached Files:

10. loudbang

loudbang

From a shot of the logo at the top of some HAMB threads.

1.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, enloe and 2 others like this.
  11. Hey Lou!

I remember you living 2 or 3 houses down from my grandparents' house. If you have the pictures on a computer, just use the "Upload a File" button below the post box to put them in the thread.

That's the nose that my Uncle Roger had on his first car, and hung up in the back of the garage that he and Frankie Calabro shared when I was a little kid. My dad told me that you pulled a huge wheelstand in that car and it came down hard and bent the frame. Please keep posting!

Mick Coyne, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  12. shoebox lou

shoebox lou

Hi pat how been. Ya my son convinced me to post my ols cars and pics. Yes I still have it my son is putting it back to red. and still have winepeddler. Im sending you pics.

Attached Files:

13. shoebox lou

shoebox lou

Ok thank you ya I remember that car landed hard. My son got me posting my pics. so there will be more

14. shoebox lou

shoebox lou

I remember your brother and your yellow willys. Those pics are the vitar car. In the 80,s at Englishtown

15. rooman

rooman

Those sure look like 40 Ford parts to me.

Roo

enloe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  16. Lou, the last time that I saw you, was when you came to my house in Connecticut to buy a 1941 Willys sedan from me. It was a complete car, but had a broken rear axle. You bought it because your 1941 sedan had no trim on it, but mine was a complete car.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Boy the Hamb certainly shakes the bushes. Nick how you doing? Is there anyone you haven't sold a Willys to?

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This is all I have Lou.

Pat

Attached Files:

19. shoebox lou

shoebox lou

Ok ya I got some . thanks

loudbang likes this.
  20. shoebox lou

shoebox lou

How are you? I remember been along time. I still got some sedans left .

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Lou where is home now?

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  22. @shoebox lou My dad told me to tell you hello and that he's glad that you still have the Winepeddler.

loudbang likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Atts Ono
    upload_2019-2-19_3-57-46.png 1964-65
    photo credit Getty Images
    Hello,

Here is a background for another mystery from the ranks of the Long Beach drag racing scene. A recent conversation with a family member has brought up another big time question. WHERE IS THIS IMMACULATE 1940 WILLYS COUPE, NOW? There have been many articles on the B/Gas coupe and during the time it was blasting down the dragstrips, a very competitive, popular Willys. A build such as this Willys just does not disappear… But, the question is: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CAR AFTER IT LEFT LONG BEACH IN 1970?

It has been quite some time passed since this immaculate 1940 Willys Coupe was built by Atts Ono from our old Long Beach neighborhood. It was, in most people’s minds, a work of art with all of the intricate metal work and machining being done during the build. It was very competitive for a home built gas coupe and had a short history until Atts Ono’s passing in 1970. It was not right for someone with so much talent and character leaving us so young. (at age 30.) It was a disheartening event and in the light of it, information and records have been in a turmoil of sorts.
    upload_2019-2-19_4-10-46.png thanks Jason, elgringo71

In a recent conversation with his younger brother about the Westside doings, Lions Dragstrip, hot rod builds from the neighborhood, the whereabouts of his older brother’s Willys Coupe is a mystery. It was sold to someone in the EAST back in the 70s and the event/files/records have been missing or mixed up since then. As traumatic as it was, it hit close to our home with the missing photos and films of our own 40 Willys 671 SBC C/Gas Coupe. We knew where our Willys body was when we left it in a wrecking yard/surplus yard in Wilmington, but our motor was sold complete to a person from the Midwest.

Jnaki

So, FOR ANYONE NEW TO THIS THREAD OR HAVE ACCESS TO OLD FILES FROM FAMILY OR FRIENDS, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ATTS ONO’S IMMACULATE 40 WILLYS COUPE CURRENTLY RESIDES? Is it still in the EAST? It has been almost 49 years since being sold. Inquiring minds like to know. Also, sending the information back to his younger brother, for me would be an interesting way for some closure. When an incident strikes a family, I know first hand what it does to the remaining family members and the existing files. A cloud lingers for quite some time…and files mysteriously go missing as well as the evidence of the actual coupe.

Atts was a good friend, played on the same youth basketball team together, instrumental in our own Willys build, and was our knowledgeable pit crew companion during our run in B/Gas and C/Gas. He was there when we needed him during our 1960 Lions explosion and fire. He put his build on hold until we could get all of our remnants and speed equipment organized. He knew both of our parents would have a long standing fit about the dangers of drag racing!
    upload_2019-2-19_4-17-49.png upload_2019-2-19_4-18-2.png
    I was asked by Atts Ono to be at Lions during his unveiling of his red 1940 Willys Coupe in one of Lions Dragstrip’s, “All Gas Coupe/Sedan Events.” What a day for the debut, getting right into the thick of the hottest Gas Coupes and Sedans in all of the So Cal racing scene. Thanks for the memories and friendship.
    Lions 1964

Any factual information with details and/or photos would be greatly appreciated. This mystery needs some closure for the remaining family members and friends. The last known bit of information was that the red 1940 Willys Coupe was sold to a person from the EAST in 1970-71. Thank you, in advance.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    EVL401, Stebo27, exterminator and 6 others like this.
  24. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Sorry to hear that Don Montgomery passed away today God Bless R.I.P. Sir

IMG_6847.JPG

EVL401, Stebo27, exterminator and 6 others like this.
  25. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

He may be gone, but all his great books will live forever. R.I.P. Don.

26. loudbang

loudbang

Well crap that is sad news. :( RIP Mr. Montgomery

loner2, 1947knuck, Mick Coyne and 2 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

28. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

He was one of many who gave me advice on my build.
    Supercharged Gas Coupes, great book by him.
    Rest in Peace Don,
    Mick Coyne

Bowtie Coupe, 33HEMI and loudbang like this.
  29. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Love the 39's, this is brother Mike's

Pat

Attached Files: