Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gloss Black Single Stage Urethane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 12, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, can you spot in a scratch on a panel with single stage black, color sand and buff? Is it better with clear mixed in?

jimgoetz likes this.
  2. To me it’s about the same
    The clear added depth to the black without the plastic look
    Single stage or base clear urethanes or enamels do not burn in like lacquer
    Yes you can do it but it will eventually show back up.

jimgoetz and blowby like this.
  3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Single stage cocktailed with clear for your final coats rivals the look of lacquer in my opinion. More so after a sand and polish.

4. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Maybe I'll try it on my 32 year old Harley. It has original paint but its due.

5. As mentioned nothing is as easy as Lacquer in any aspects of using it especially for a home painter. I sprayed the majority of my truck in lacquer but did the inside of the box and some interior pieces in urethane, all in my garage, and the lacquer was WAY easier to use.

blowby and flatford39 like this.
  6. Stooge

Stooge

That just looks perfect! do you happen to remember which of the blacks they offer the dash was done it, looks like either the Jet gloss or Boulevard are the only gloss ones they have in that line

7. evintho

evintho

Absolutely! There's a regulation that reads 'if there's a regulation there needs to be a regulated increase in price'. Ludicrous, if you ask me! Not only do we have to deal with the statewide California Air Resources Board (CARB) which is very strict but, they actually break it down into subsets. On top of CARB, we're also governed by Bay Area Air Quality Management which encompasses the 9 Bay Area counties here in NorCal! Drive 60 miles north to Ukiah and buy whatever toxic stuff you need. Apparently, the foul air abruptly stops at the Sonoma/Mendocino county line!

jimgoetz likes this.
  8. Thanks, I used Super Gloss Jet Black #AU1901

Stooge likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't Urethane so I'm straying a bit but back in the day I shot a lot of cars in Centari acrylic enamel with their hardener/gloss combo kit added to the paint. After a cut and buff I always loved the look. And so easy to use.

10. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

subscribed! i have been having the same dilemma... i have been considering lacquer since it was used back in the day. i have heard some say thats cause it was all they had and urethane paints better now than lacquer was...ive heard others say thats stupid and lacquer rules. i just cant make up my mind, going black too!

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha, I called an old friend at a local body shop to run that Nason price by him, we had some conversation and one of things he mentioned was using acrylic enamel, goes on smooth, easy to use. I've shot a couple of cars in Centari and loved it, especially the smell. But I read that it doesn't have the longevity nor strength of urethane and if I'm going to use a two part it might as well be urethane. Also read it doesn't spray well out of HVLP, fwiw.

Anyway I'm back to considering lacquer (speaking of no strength) after seeing the posts above. Talk me out of it...

jimgoetz likes this.
  12. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Laugh if you want, but I work for an aircraft company and they beg employees to take free, slightly out-of date but still fine Imron. Primary color is Omaha Orange, but metallic green, metallic silver and white can also be had when the dates up.

jimgoetz, GuyW and Frankie47 like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have heard that same thing but I can take exception to it. I can't post the pics as it is OT by a couple of years but I painted my 68 442 rag top 20 years ago with Centari (with the gloss additive) and it still looks pretty darn nice. 10 footer, maybe, but still nice :cool:

I am enjoying the topic as my truck will be black and I'll be the one shooting it. Listening and learning.

oliver westlund likes this.
  14. Here's 2 more cents from me. Like I said I sprayed my truck in my garage with lacquer. It was super easy to use. It is basically dry seconds after it hits the surface so there is virtually zero worry about getting dirt or bugs or anything else in the paint job. (everything I have ever sprayed with urethane has gotten something in in no matter how many precautions I have taken) The over spray is dry by the time it hits the floor or anything else so its just dust to sweep up. To fix problems you just give it a quick sand and spray new paint over top no matter how long it has been sitting because as mentioned it just melts into the layers below it.

It is definitely not as durable, there is no question about that, but for me being a first time painter the ease of use, relatively less toxic make up compared to urethane and look all out weighed that for me spraying at home. If I had a paint booth to use I may have made a different choice but I am more than happy with how it came out.
    20170903_102235.jpg
    20170903_102302.jpg

15. Lacquer may have a reputation of being "weak" but it does have an advantage in the repair department. It's easy to repair or touch up and it's a generic match with other black lacquer brands, so it's also easy to find some (black) later on. Maintenance may be a little more but if you consider scratches and chips as "maintenance", it's Advantage Lacquer.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditlzer 9000 is Harley black. I paint our dirt cars with Restoration shop. Speed blue matches Chevron blue of the colored aluminum 4x10 and 4x8 sheets and is really ez to spray. If you slow it down a little and paint the parts on a flat surface it really turns out great.

jimgoetz likes this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Nason single stage black urathane kit is less than 200$ on eBay

18. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

In my post #17 when I said my car was painted single stage with hardener I was talking about acrylic enamel. I'm not sure if urethane will rub out like acrylic or not.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  19. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ppg-delfleet-anyone-use-it.1049751/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/quality-low-cost-paint.1011363/

check out PPGs essentials
    also look at Color by Design and Kapci Coatings

sometimes paint costs a lot due to the fact you are buying paint matching for the collision industry use. The newest top line paint for each manufacturer will have the latest in paint matching and largest number of alternate formulas
    Most of the stuff we paint here is all overs.
    The lower line paints are still quality products but not updated for the latest colors
    DO NOT JUDGE A PAINT BY ITS PRICE
    also these other lesser know companies are not funding race teams or buying equipment for collision shops.
    All paint companies buy pigments from the same place and sometimes use the same binders
    Warranty? some paint manufacturers will not warranty the type of painting we do here. Some warranties will only cover materials anyway

another little bit of info, At your paint store, the same mixing machine will have the same toners for several types of paint. The difference is the binder. The same tints are used for basecoat, urethane, enamel and alkyd binders

blowby and jimgoetz like this.
  20. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

21. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

or the people who already have...

jimgoetz likes this.
  22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

im painting my car for 250 bucks!

23. I have been a part of many of those paint jobs
    some customers insist on using the most expensive products available
    I teach at a trade school now and use many lower line products in order to be able to teach. I have discovered there are many quality products from little known companies and really great lower line products from know companies
    yes you do get what you pay for in some instances
    A top shelf red will have more solids (more pigment) It may take a coat less for coverage than the same red in the lower line. Just use a tinted sealer (ya probably gonna use a sealer anyway)
    The cost of the top shelf red could be twice the cost of its lower line equivalent

jimgoetz and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. Why should it? 80% of the cost of a high quality paint job is the labour and once you have put in the work to try and produce a good quality paint job you fully understand it. It is shitty time consuming work and guys that do it to high levels deserve every penny they make.

25. preparation is the most important part of any paint job
    great paint looks like crap on crappy prep work

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

One other thing I'm wondering..with lacquer it always needs a cut and buff right? With urethane or enamel if the stars align you can get it to flow smooth enough for a driver, no?

27. Correct

28. That's very hard to explain to someone who doesn't get it.
    Dumbasses must think there's an ingredient on the mixing bench called "show quality" that we just dump in the gun right along with the other ingredient labeled "20 years experience"

cad-lasalle, jimgoetz, reagen and 5 others like this.
  29. I wish I could invent an ingredient called 30 year sun fade and road rash

I would be a millionaire

30. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Yes