Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gloss Black Single Stage Urethane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 12, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My local paint supplier just quoted me $439 for a gallon of Nasson gloss black with hardener and reducer! Two years ago I painted my Blazer white with their less expensive fleet urethane, it went on and has held up well. It is made branded Rival and they do have gloss black for $200 with hardener (does not use reducer but you can use acetone iirc). I see Summit has unbranded gloss black for around $100, as well as some others (Speedokote...) online. I got ripped off a few years ago buying some off brand online, it was a smokey black and after a month was still too soft to buff.

Anyone used or seen the Rival black?
    Any other recommendations?

pete2c likes this.
  2. LIMCO a Basf product

Squablow likes this.
  3. evintho

evintho

I know Kirker supplies all of Summit's paint. Just did the roadster frame in their metallic silver and the body in Hot Rod Black. Pretty nice product.

4. Stooge

Stooge

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. My shop teacher mentioned the TCP, it's about $150 to my door. I need to see if there's anything around the college (where I am doing the work) painted with it. Also plan to go to the local paint shop and have a look at the Rival black. And check out the other recommendations.

I suppose I am spoiled, the last time I painted a car black I used PPG Concept triple black, a really dark blue black. I can only imagine what that stuff costs these days. I wouldn't mind the cost if I was a better painter and didn't end up spilling it or having do overs. :(

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Shopline ppg is ok

If ya want it slick, use a product that you can mix the paint with a clear
    They would have to use the same hardner
    Cover it with straight single stage black Then a couple coats of “ cocktailed “ single stage mixed with clear

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

The last time I used Limco lll a BASF product base coat it was $17.95 a quart.

da34guy likes this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Why?

9. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

10. Looks great
    That’s how this one is sprayed
    3F129755-E3B1-443B-B1A6-ADDC220ADB2C.jpeg

11. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

12. It's gone up since 1980 Gary LOL

-Brent-, BigO, Zookeeper and 2 others like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Tamco! Great quality, not the price of the famous names. Even has a special line of single stage blacks so you can have a super black black.

blowby, Stooge and Frankie47 like this.
  14. Stooge

Stooge

I havent used tamco yet, but i follow the owner on IG and along with a handful of painters that use her stuff, it looks like a great product, and i think they just updated their website to make buying it a little easier

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

In 1980 I was getting free Imron from Uncle Sam...but it only came in black
    white
    orange
    red
    blue.....lol
    [​IMG]

16. Ppg del fleet is some really tough paint and easy to shoot. Pretty forgiving and if you use the clear reduction method you can cut and buff to perfect if you want it. Tough on a level with old imron
    It's not the cheapest stuff but it's certainly not expensive relative to other stuff out there.

Frankie47 likes this.
  17. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

This ones single stage with hardener sprayed in my 2 car garage and cut and buffed. No clear, I just don't like the plastic look I think clear gives. DSCN1235.JPG

18. I would suggest Southern Polyurethane. But I see you are in California and you can't shoot it there.

19. Absolutely looks great
    The cocktail clear/single stage doesn’t look plastic either
    That’s why we do it. Looks very deep in black
    Not a big fan of newer high solids clears

jimgoetz likes this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. Yeah I'm going to take a drive up there today and show them this. The guy I spoke to on the phone sounded like a rookie. So Nason is Dupont and good stuff? Buying local has the advantage of going to get more of anything you run out of. However, I am in the California clean air zone or whatever you call it. Used to be people drove north about 80 miles to buy better paint, I don't know if that is the case anymore or if it's all the same now.

21. slug

slug

I agree with jimgoetz above about the look of most clears. They usually make the colors look too fake or plastic.

BigO and a boner like this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I doubt I will be mixing in clear for simplicity reasons. My heap is a driver, I run errands in it and foresee repairing dents and scratches. Not after show quality. I was thinking lacquer at first but the durability of urethane can't be beat, and afaik a single stage black can be blended and buffed as easily as lacquer, correct me if I'm wrong.

23. I've used Rival many times. It's fine. Use it.

blowby likes this.
  24. Nothing is blended, buffed or spotted as easy as lacquer
    The cocktail with clear is how we blended single stage
    Contact a guy here called paint guru if ya want lacquer, he can hook ya up

jimgoetz and blowby like this.
  25. Another vote for TCP Global restoration shop.
    I've painted several cars using their acrylic urethane, I've only used their black on misc. small items.
    These pics are of my '39 dash I painted with it.
    Reasonably cheap, compared to other brands.
    IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1931.JPG

cvstl, reagen, blowby and 3 others like this.
  26. The two things they will tell you right off the bat from looking at the picture is one the activator is not Nason it's their own generic brand so zero warranty if the paint fails and two if they are using the same Nason part numbers (which they appear to be and IMO is a slimeball move) for their generic activator it is not VOC compliant so not legal in California.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    blowby and Bondo Slinger like this.
  27. missysdad1

missysdad1

This is exactly the reason I use single stage urethane on my hot rods. Modern paints just look too good to be appropriate on vintage-style hot rods and customs.

jimgoetz likes this.
  28. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Never tried it. How is it to match for touch up?

blowby likes this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Would be interested to know if the not VOC compliant, "not legal in California" has something to do with the cost differential?

blowby likes this.
  30. No different in my experience