Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WITH THAT DAMN PART?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Almost as strange is when parts show back up after spending time golly knows where.

2. raven

raven

Short vacation...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Just remember HRP that as you get older it gets worser (humm is that a word?)
    and every once in a while......
    37245019_1473102169488927_810078403083370496_n.jpg

VANDENPLAS, WB69, Oldioron and 4 others like this.
  4. Many years ago I owned a Zippo lighter that had sentimental value. Got in my DD to go somewhere and when I get there I can't find the lighter (and I know I had it when I got in the car). Take five minutes to look for it in the car, can't find it, go finish my errand. So the next day I do a very thorough search, still can't find it. Over the course of the next 3-4 months, I'd look for it some more every week or so, really looking when I was cleaning the interior. No sign of it, I finally give up.
    A bit over a year later, I'm going somewhere and some idiot pulls in front me, I jam on the brakes to miss him. After venting at the idiot, I put my foot back to the gas pedal and feel something under my heel.... you guessed it, it's the lighter and none the worse for wear. To this day I still don't know where that damn thing hid for a year and a half...

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there may be "another factor" that no one has thought of, or wants to admit. I've got a friend from high school and we've done stuff together for over 50 years, his son even used to work on cars in my shop on occasion. He could be kind of a tease and liked to practical joke. He passed away from cancer over 10 years ago but he is still around. His mother and I both know that he is the reason things come up missing and or moved. That's my story and I am sticking to it. He left me a few tools that he thought I needed including the creeper that he hinted to his wife he wanted for Christmas or his birthday. She divorced him after he contracted cancer and he told me the story after buying the creeper that I use all the time. I think about him both when I use the tools he left for me and also when I "lose" something:)

6. I should have been a magician. I can make anything from small parts, to whole cars disappear. I almost reported one of my RODs stolen. I forgot that I had put it in a different garage. The worst is my coffee. I'm a coffee addict. I'll look everywhere in the garage, and cars for my cup of Joe. I'll finely just give up, and go and make another one. When I open the microwave to heat it. (CRAP) There sits my first cup!:eek:Lol Ron

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I run a pretty clean shop, but sometimes when a part or even a tool hits the floor, POOF! its gone. Vanished just like a fart in the wind!

The damn cordless phone is another story of its own. It turns up in the strangest places and I have no idea how it got there!

There must be at least 10 Sharpies floating around the shop, but I am never able to find one when I need one!

I am pretty sure my building is either built over an Electro Magnetic field or an Indian Burial Ground, and stuff gets sucked into another dimension, many times to re-appear, at a later date right there on the floor, for everyone to see!

This phenomenon has been going of for 37 years!

Bill

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Went to clean out my mother's garage where I had left a ton of small parts in. While digging in the corner under a work bench I found a complete sbc 305. Three years later I was still trying to remember where it came from until I ran into a guy I hadn't seen in years and he asked me if I ever got around to rebuilding that 3o5 he had given me from his Camero 20 years prior.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Hell when I clean up my shop it's like Christmas when I find stuff I have bought and lost and forgot about

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ramblin dan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wanted to put a new plug on an extension cord, I know it's electrical, I had the old cord in hand, and gave up looking for the new plug I was sure was on the shelf some were. Gave up looking and went to the store and bought a new plug. Came home, down to the basement, got the cord, then placed the new plug on the shelf RIGHT NEXT to the one I'd spent all that time searching for. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Purchasing a part and waiting for the day to install it is just as bad, I have end up with multiple parts, I probably have 200 dollars worth of rubber I bought for the wagon and misplaced, I found a box full about a month ago and the car has been finished for 7 years now. HRP

VANDENPLAS and bdynpnt like this.
  12. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Been there done that lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Done this so many times.
    Check pockets, empty. Tear work area apart. Nothing. Stick hand in back pocket, find item. Even went back to the hardware store once(that I was just in 20mins prior), get there look at there automotive clips drawer, can't remember which size I needed, pull the 'missing' clip out of my back pocket to match it to the 'needed' clip. A split second later I'm seething. Grabbed a handful of the clips(Only needed the one 'missing' clip) to punish myself. Hung that bag on the wall, helps remind me to not be a muppet.

Keys I am shit at. Put them down, can never find them. Finally got one of those clip on hooks. Still from time to time I'll be walking around the house looking for my keys as I jingle like Santa's sleigh.

Working on OT car, placed the keys up in the visor since I needed them in the car but didn't want them anywhere visible or in the ignition. 2hrs later go to start the car, can't find keys. Look all over. Finally give up and find an extra set and have 3 sets cut, just to be safe. Take car out for a spin, it's late afternoon, sun is getting low, pull down visor and scare myself. Thought a mouse just jumped into my lap. Pick up the 'mouse', its the keys/keyfob. It all comes rushing back, was watching Terminator 2 on garage TV and there is a scene where the kid shows Arnie to check the visor. Made a note to no longer actually have good TV on while wrenching, that's what Ancient Aliens is for.

Actually did 'lose' my wallet for a year. Was so hot about that one, stubborn about it too. I knew it was within a 3' radius in the garage, searched had a nice wad of cash in it as well. Even refused to get a new DL for the longest just because DMV is that much of a PITA around here. Finally got a new DL, helped a neighbor working on an OT car, opened the bottom drawer that has 'specialty tools', slide er open and there is my wallet. Still swollen with cash, ID, CCs, everything. Wanna talk about insta-rage? To this day I remember taking my wallet out of my pocket, but why would I put it in that drawer.

Started making it a thing that no trip is a wasted trip, if I'm going out to the garage I'm bringing something out, and on the way back in I'm bringing something else in. Usually not my dignity.
    This has greatly improved my memory on this kind of nonsense.

Although, the wife did find me halfway up the stairs once with a 'determined look of confusion'. Had nothing in my hands which bugged me as I was adhering to my 'no wasted trip' rule. 'Well when you figure it out, don't forget to remove that goofy light you have hanging up.' Had just replaced the 3-way switches and original wall sconce, temp light was on banister rail to light stairway during replacement. *Forest Whitaker eye*

VANDENPLAS, raven and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm at the stage if I can't find something I know I have, instead of looking I just go buy a new one. Saves time and aggrevation in the long run.

15. My buddy, Ed gave me a crusty 33 V/8 grill emblem and a couple blue porcelain "FORD" emblems from the top of the grill shell. I was excited to get them and planned to use them someplace on my car. I even took this photo of the V/8 emblem and then I put them...............someplace. This was last summer and I've looked everywhere...can't find 'em anywhere! 34emblem.jpg 34emblem2.jpg 34emblemback.jpg

16. williebill

williebill

I hated giving up my land line because I used it to call and find my cell phone.
    Now I'm SOL until that damn phone sashays across my line of sight, whenever it feels like it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I just have the wife call me lol although it's usually me calling her phone because she can't find hers

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I wouldn't admit to that, at least not using my own name. :D

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

It'll show up at the estate sale.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Maybe just a passing faze in life? I know I used to lose money out of my wallet all the time and could never find it or account for it. That faze in my life passed about the same time as my ex girlfriend moved out. :confused::rolleyes:

CME1, wraymen and firstinsteele like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I can relate to that one, I was working on a DYI project and needed the wood glue, searched everywhere for the bottle I knew was almost new, couldn't find it so bought another bottle and finished my project and went to put it away where I wassure to find it next time I needed it, and voila, there was the bottle I spent so much time searching for! :rolleyes:

i.rant likes this.
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Brother.Sounds just like me.About X5.Like the day I was looking for my Mod 64 Smith.It was in the holster on my hip:eek:.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. 6sally6

6sally6

BanditBilly...

Sometimes I think its some kinduva sinister alien plot!
    NO way could you have duplicated the actions of that "so-called"innocent pulley without some sorta direct alien interference!
    Try it!! It won't happen on its on....woo-woo-wooooo-woo!:eek:
    6sally6

24. mountainman2

mountainman2

Yep, that's one of those "I have a buddy that" moments.;)

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The other day I was putting together a...

Oh look! A chicken!

VANDENPLAS and raven like this.
  26. 5window

5window

I found a piece of window garnish moulding behind a pile of Smurfs in my youngest daughter's bedroom. She hasn't lived in that room since 2002, we just still have her stuff. Never figured that one out.

raven and Stogy like this.
  27. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Always keep your work space orderly. Do as I say not as I do.

Attached Files:

williebill and Stogy like this.
  28. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

My good friend bought an OT car 15 years ago, took it apart 8 years ago, I did not help take it apart, but he asked me to help restore it. Some part were left outside. We got it together, but I can't count how many hours I looked for specific parts. I said many times that we had more steps in the garage in one day looking for parts than we did at the Pomona Swapmeet. We once were looking for a part, could not find it. I said "just buy another one". We found the part in the blast cabinet about 30 minutes after he bought the second one. One part we can't find is the hood, that is right, the hood, No biggee, because he was replacing it anyways. Now when we can't find something, we say "it must be with the hood".

raven and Stogy like this.
  29. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

It could be worse. Just think how lucky we are that every body
    part is permanently attached, even though it would be more
    convenient to be able to just attach stuff as needed.
    Imagine, you finally make it to the can after multiple interruptions,
    only to realize you don't remember where you left your junk.

VANDENPLAS and williebill like this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"I've lost my ass" really does sound better.

VANDENPLAS and williebill like this.