Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will a Pontiac straight 8 fit in a 48 Buick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, Feb 10, 2019.

1. raven

raven

Found a 50 Pontiac straight 8 and was wondering if it would fit my 48 Buick that originally had a straight 8.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. BJR

BJR

That would be a step down. Remember the Buick had a torque tube, so you would have to mate the Pontiac engine to the Buick transmission to make it work. Lots of better choices out there then the Pontiac.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  3. raven

raven

I’m not married to the original tranny and rear. The Pontiac comes with a hydromatic and the rear end.

4. raven

raven

Besides my buddy took the original Buick 8 and I have everything else.
    r

5. raven

raven

What’s wrong with the Pontiac?
    r

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Swap in a 300 Ford or 250 chevy and put a Buick logo on the valve cover.

warhorseracing likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Clay Belt likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Buick is a difficult swap because of the torque tube drive and coil spring rear suspension. I doubt the Pontiac will bolt up to the Buick transmission but, if you have access to the engine you could measure and find out.

Easiest swap would be another Buick straight eight or maybe a nailhead Buick V8. If you get into swapping transmission and rear axle that opens up the whole rear suspension problem.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

You could swap in a buick 250 six from a 1968 oh wait that is a chevy . I am a fan of the buick inline Pontiac not so much.

10. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Years ago I had a '50 Pontiac 2-door fastback with straight 8 and 3 on the tree. I drove the car to work and to run around town daily and also drove the car to my grandmother's every weekend. Weekend trip was a 150 mile round trip. The car run and drove great and had enough power for what I wanted to do. I wish that I had that now. Good luck with your car. ...Ray

11. raven

raven

Uh. if you guys actually read the posts in the thread...The Poncho comes with the original hydro and rear end. I am aware of the Buick's rear suspension setup. It's really no different from the 60's Chevy truck trailing arm suspension. Sheesh, it's like no one ever modified anything by the way you talk. I'm going out on a limb here and guess that the Poncho would fit. Oh yea I will probably have to build some motor mounts just like in my T roadster and a tranny mount too. Rear end? I had to make the suspension parts for my roadster I guess I could conjure up something for this. Yes, I'm looking for something to put in the Buick that is fairly simple and no I don't have access to another Buick straight 8. The ones I've seen need a rebuild and are around $1500. Not going to happen. Did you guys read the thread about the guy that mated the two Crosly engines together? This isn't rocket science.
    Now baack to my original question, well maybe the third question since I answered the first one myself.
    What's wrong with the Poncho 8?
    r

Trefl and RMR&C like this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There was nothing wrong with the Pontiac straight eight in 1950 and if I had a Pontiac that came with one, I would keep it, as long as it was running right.

What you are talking about is as much work as transplanting a modern V8, probably more because parts are not readily available.

I still say easiest swap is a straight eight Buick, if that is not practical I would consider a modern V8 and automatic, even a Chev 350. Don't sneer, they are available and probably the best and cheapest swap, they are used a lot for a reason.

The Pontiac would be as much work and expense or more, even considering that you have the Pontiac and would have to buy something else.

If economy is an issue I should say, in my day it was possible to buy a wrecked car for a few hundred dollars, take out engine, trans, radiator, driveshaft, rear axle etc then part out the rest and finally sell the carcass for scrap iron and end up with all the parts you need for little or no money.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss. (300 Ford anyway; I have had a couple, and they are GREAT!)

14. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Just tell your buddy to give it back. What kind of a buddy takes stuff like that? Jack E/NJ

Clay Belt and Hnstray like this.
  15. raven

raven

Lol, he bought the Buick just for the rebuilt 8. The rest I swapped stuff for it ...
    r

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

17. BJR

BJR

Putting a flathead Pontiac straight eight at 108 Horsepower in place of an overhead valve Buick straight eight 144-150 Horsepower is going backwards. What you want to do is the exact opposite of hotrodding, you want to put a smaller less horsepower engine in place of a more modern higher horsepower engine. You should be ashamed of yourself, tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. :eek::D

dutch deuce, redo32 and raven like this.
  18. belair

belair

I think you're going backwards the hard way. But you have the ability to do what you want, so good luck. I think the correct answer is anything will fit with enough work and thought. If you're happy, ...

Bigdavid likes this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are probably in a better position to answer your question than any of us are. A tape measure will tell you more than anything else. That said, you didn't mention which series Buick you have. If you have a Roadmaster, it is very likely the Pontiac 8 will fit as the Roadmaster 320 engine was quite long....four inches longer than the Special and Super 248 engine.

The Roadmaster had about four inch longer wheelbase to accommodate the the 320. Conversely, the Special and Super engine compartment is a bit shorter. So, measure your Pontiac 8 and the space available under the hood of the Buick.....and you'll know.

raven likes this.
  20. I really don't see the issue. But the difference between me and the rest is that I am a hot rodder and I own a torch and a welder and am not afraid to use them.

One thing that I am noticing on the HAMB as of late if the masses will allow a little constructive criticism is that there seems to be a real leaning toward restoration and bolt together hot rods and customs. Rodders use what is at hand and build what they want from it, or at least that is what was done traditionally. If you have a '54 Ford for example and there happens to be a Cadillac engine lying around to make a Fordillac. You don't go looking for a Ford 6 to make it look original. If the tires that you happen to be using rub the fender wells you jack it up for clearance, or cut metal away until the tires fit.

Maybe it is time that we at least make a minor effort to get back to our roots.

Oh @raven if the Poncho is a runner and paid for why not use it. Of course this advice comes from a man who once used the 6 cylinder 3 speed out of a Gremlin in a '54 Effie. So you maybe should take it with a grin of salt. ;)

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on ya' "P&B". I agree completely. I have to admit that I am not mesmerized by threads such as "What is your favorite spark plug". "Grin of salt"; love it!

22. raven

raven

Right now the Buick is just sitting. I thought for cheap price the Poncho motor, tranny and rear was, I could at least make it mobile and sellable. If I was going to keep it, I’d probably run something like a 472 caddy...
    r

23. raven

raven

Besides, who remembers that guy who put the Ford flathead v8 in the first gen Camero all those years ago. At least it was unique and running under it’s own power instead of sitting in the weeds.
    Food for thought.
    r

Clay Belt likes this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

One question how good is your 71 year old Pontiac motor? Years ago I bought a 38 Olds coupe that had a flathead Ford in it . It was a case of blown Olds 6 and a wrecked 51 ford I got it for $30 Car had a straight body and fresh paint down side you could not see out of the rear view for all the smoke. Some times just because you have it isn't the best route. Oh the car got a 348 because at that time nobody wanted one and you could fine good ones cheap.

25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We have done some weird swaps---392 Hemi into a VW Beetle, 427 medium riser Ford into a 55 Chevy, Nail head Buick to VW transaxle, and on and on. I used to have a sign that said "WE CAN SWAP A 450 CUMMINS ONTO A SKATEBOARD IF YOU HAVE THE SKATEBOARD, THE CUMMINS, AND MONEY". With that said these were all hot rods but since you are in the buy/sell market I would think you would have a near zero market for such a combo. On the other hand I have been wrong---a lot.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

I can't understand why so many HAMBers always recommend using flathead sixes and eights in the builds by others. Lots of posts also include recommendations to add speed equipment which will do little or nothing to improve its performance. As Beaner stated this is contrary to what Hot Rodding is all about. Any engine improvments I've ever made to my cars has been to improve performance. Using a flathead six or eight will only ensure every Soccer Mom in a four cylinder Toyota Corolla will blow the doors off each and every one of these under powered lead sleds. Just the fact that these cars are old does not in itself make them a Hot Rod.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    raven likes this.
  27. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Post the poncho motor on here see if you can sell it for a decent price. Then decide if you want a straight eight or a newer V8.. It will cost the same or less either way but a V8 will give you more options for air and power steering...

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Pontiac straight eight might make it driveable but wouldn't make it saleable. With a V8 it would be worth less than with the stock straight eight, with the Pontiac eight it would be worth less than with no engine at all. Unless you could find someone who wanted a Buick with a Pontiac straight eight and had lots of money, possibly someone who had recently received an insurance settlement for massive head injuries.

sunbeam likes this.
  29. raven

raven

Read the original posters posts. They explain it clearly.
    r